Menu

LOF Elementary Physics sequence info

rafiki

Wow, very cool! We have a year of biology starting now, and physics is next year. Would it not be so cool if he had a quantitative Physics book for those with more math under their belts out by next year? That would be perfect for my DS8 and 11 by this time next year-- DS11 will be done with algebra and partway through algebra II at least, with a smattering of trig, geometry, and calc self-taught, so he would love a quantitative Fred Physics book. The younger book sounds fun for my younger guy :)

• 2 months later...

The sample pages of LoF Physics have been posted, and it looks AWESOME!

You can see the TOC, index, and some sample pages from a chapter:

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/sample%20pages%20lof%20P.pdf

As a hard-core science & math family, (DH and I have 4 math and science undergrad degrees between us (including math and physics) and DH has a PhD in math) we will absolutely be using this.

The sample pages of LoF Physics have been posted, and it looks AWESOME!

You can see the TOC, index, and some sample pages from a chapter:

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/sample%20pages%20lof%20P.pdf

As a hard-core science & math family, (DH and I have 4 math and science undergrad degrees between us (including math and physics) and DH has a PhD in math) we will absolutely be using this.

Thanks for sharing this... it looks REALLY good!!

DS will finish the elementary series this year, and then start on Fractions and D&P. I'd better go ahead and order Physics... just to have on hand... :D

We love our elementary Life of Fred. What are the recommended age ranges for the books you posted in this thread?

Life of Fred: Fractions picks up when your child has mastered (truly mastered) the basic four functions (addition/subtraction/multiplication/long division) and is ready to make the switch from working together with you to working independently from the book. I think those readiness indicators are a better indicator than age, but you could use fourth --sixth grade as a rough guide for when to start Fractions, depending upon how interested your child is in math.

Your role in Fractions and the rest of the series will change to maybe checking that your student actually wrote out all the answers to the "Your Turn to Play" sections (they are much more substantial than in the elementary series, and a whole lot of teaching happens both in the problems and in the solutions, which the student is to read for himself as well), and that he or she made the necessary corrections to the problems as well, and then you'll need to grade the "Bridges" about every five chapters, to ensure that at least 90% mastery is obtained before moving forward (there are 5 different bridges, so a student can go back and re-read anything not mastered before trying again, and all answers are in the back of the book).

Decimals and Percents follows Fractions, and he inserted the Physics book at that point, prior to the Pre-Algebra books (PreA with Biology, and PreA with Economics). The Pre-Algebra books should fall where you would normally place pre-algebra books. For my son, that was in 5th grade; for others it will be in 8th grade. It really varies by the student.

A typical student can complete Fractions and D&P in six months to a year with little trouble. DS11 completed both of them plus both Pre-A books in a year with excellent mastery. I do not personally recommend going faster than a chapter (occasionally two if they get really excited) per day-- doing so can be an indicator that the student is not slowing down to really internalize the math. Obviously individual kids will vary, but it's just a cautionary note to toss out there, because some kids will get so wrapped up in the story that they forget to slow down and really focus on the math :).

Having looked over the TOC of the Physics book, despite the author's placement of it early in the series, I plan to use it a year from now with both boys-- both my younger who will be "right there" in the series by then at age 9 and finishing up D&P, and my older who will be 12 by then and about halfway through algebra II. I see it as a kind of flexible placement book. I'll know more after we get it and I get my hands on it!

Life of Fred: Fractions picks up when your child has mastered (truly mastered) the basic four functions (addition/subtraction/multiplication/long division) and is ready to make the switch from working together with you to working independently from the book. I think those readiness indicators are a better indicator than age, but you could use fourth --sixth grade as a rough guide for when to start Fractions, depending upon how interested your child is in math.

Your role in Fractions and the rest of the series will change to maybe checking that your student actually wrote out all the answers to the "Your Turn to Play" sections (they are much more substantial than in the elementary series, and a whole lot of teaching happens both in the problems and in the solutions, which the student is to read for himself as well), and that he or she made the necessary corrections to the problems as well, and then you'll need to grade the "Bridges" about every five chapters, to ensure that at least 90% mastery is obtained before moving forward (there are 5 different bridges, so a student can go back and re-read anything not mastered before trying again, and all answers are in the back of the book).

Decimals and Percents follows Fractions, and he inserted the Physics book at that point, prior to the Pre-Algebra books (PreA with Biology, and PreA with Economics). The Pre-Algebra books should fall where you would normally place pre-algebra books. For my son, that was in 5th grade; for others it will be in 8th grade. It really varies by the student.

A typical student can complete Fractions and D&P in six months to a year with little trouble. DS11 completed both of them plus both Pre-A books in a year with excellent mastery. I do not personally recommend going faster than a chapter (occasionally two if they get really excited) per day-- doing so can be an indicator that the student is not slowing down to really internalize the math. Obviously individual kids will vary, but it's just a cautionary note to toss out there, because some kids will get so wrapped up in the story that they forget to slow down and really focus on the math :).

Having looked over the TOC of the Physics book, despite the author's placement of it early in the series, I plan to use it a year from now with both boys-- both my younger who will be "right there" in the series by then at age 9 and finishing up D&P, and my older who will be 12 by then and about halfway through algebra II. I see it as a kind of flexible placement book. I'll know more after we get it and I get my hands on it!

Thank you! Dd9 has always been really good at fractions. She used to say "I love fractions", lol, which always made me giggle. Maybe I'll look into it sooner rather than later! We're going to be starting Singapore 4a in the next month.

Thank you! Dd9 has always been really good at fractions. She used to say "I love fractions", lol, which always made me giggle. Maybe I'll look into it sooner rather than later! We're going to be starting Singapore 4a in the next month.

My son also loves fractions. :D We started Fractions after 4A. It's gone very well. He's on chapter 12 and hasn't had any problems as of yet. We're kind of off and on again Fred users here, though this week I have 4 chapters scheduled. ;)

I did have to tell my son to NOT read ahead, but to pay attention to the math. It is hard not to keep reading to get the whole story. :tongue_smilie: He handles the Your Turn to Play on his own, and he actually graded his own Bridge last time and told me how many he missed. He had to do a third Bridge, which upset him a bit after getting the first Bridge right the first time he did Bridges, but I just explained to him what the books says - MOST kids need to take the Bridge more than once. :) Part of the problem was that we'd taken a long break from Fred, then picked it back up near a Bridge. Bad move.

He enjoys it though and looks forward to D&P. I'll bet he'd LOVE the Elementary Physics book! I'll add that to my to-buy list. I'm using Apples with DS2, and he's enjoying that. Guess I need to get others in the elementary series too.