Menu

Geomotry and Algebra II

I need curriculum ideas for these courses. Text needs to be student friendly, non-DVD course, and problems fully worked in answer key. Something that will not hurt my pocketbook is a must also.

Saxon is the first one that comes to mind. (And the only one that I see that has all three things you are seeking.)

I have Discovering Geometry (with the Solution Manual) for my son for next year. We haven't used it yet, but it looks good.....

As for Algebra II, I plan to use Foerster. You can get a solution manual for that as well.

Free online text:

http://www.ck12.org/flexbook/

Solution manual available upon request.

ETA:

My older son is finishing up Art of Problem Solving Geometry. We bought it used from the WTM for sale boards including solutions manual. My son has worked through this independently and has enjoyed it. Prior to this he struggled with math, but way the text explores the 'why' of concepts appeals to my son.

Edited by Trilliums

I would not suggest Saxon unless the student successfully completed Saxon's Algebra 1-- it is a whole different method and the Algebra 2 text assumes students know it...

I like Discovering Geometry.

Lial's Intermediate Algebra (Algebra 2) has worked out solutions and optional video lessons-- but ALL of the detailed instruction is in the student text. It was written for 'block' scheduling so lessons seem long--but lessons were designed to be worked over 2 days with odds only-- so student has about 1 hour of homework per day (average of 20-25 problems). I teach from the 8th edition paper back. If you want the option for the video lessons ($35 so not a budget braker) go for the 9th edition paperback. Inexpensive compared to most other programs--but very solid.

Lial's Intermediate Algebra (Algebra 2) has worked out solutions and optional video lessons-- but ALL of the detailed instruction is in the student text. It was written for 'block' scheduling so lessons seem long--but lessons were designed to be worked over 2 days with odds only-- so student has about 1 hour of homework per day (average of 20-25 problems). I teach from the 8th edition paper back. If you want the option for the video lessons ($35 so not a budget braker) go for the 9th edition paperback. Inexpensive compared to most other programs--but very solid.

One of my children used this last year and it worked well for her. We had the 8th edition paperback.

Life of Fred algebra 2:

Book: 29$

Home Companion:14$

Life of Fred Geometry: 39$

Answer Key: 6$

LoF covers all and a bit above of Algebra 2. Its geoemtry is very rigorous as well. Combined it cost around 90$ so it allows for one to splurge on other necceisties.

Edited by BrotherAtticus
Bumped sumbit button

Life of Fred algebra 2:

Book: 29$

Home Companion:14$

Life of Fred Geometry: 39$

Answer Key: 6$

LoF covers all and a bit above of Algebra 2. Its geoemtry is very rigorous as well. Combined it cost around 90$ so it allows for one to splurge on other necceisties.

Thanks. I never really looked into LOF because I always thought it was more supplementary...but you say the Geometry is rigorous, hmmm. Does it cover proofs also?