Menu

Your favorite computer games or ipad apps for math drill?

Celia

We use Math Board. It's a little pricey for an iPad app, but I really like the interface, which includes a little chalkboard for working out the answer, and you can control every aspect of how it drills the kid - operations, number range, form of the answer, etc.

Reflex Math. http://www.reflexmath.com/home It uses drill and games and the kids love it. They earn tokens that they can 'spend' in the 'store', buying stuff for their avatar and other stuff). It seems to me to be very well thought out to keep the kids engaged and wanting to do it again.

It also has an awesome teacher interface that allows you to see how they are doing at a particular assignment. So I can see that my two sons are both currently at 54% fluency of learning their add/subtract facts from 0-9 (this includes up to 9+9=18; 18-9=9).

There is also another option that allows me to see all of the fact families and where they are on each one. They do it with a kind of pie chart for each fact family and when you place the cursor over the pie for that fact family, a little chart comes up that shows which of the facts for that fact family they are fluent and which they are not fluent.

These are the two teacher resources I use most but they offer more.

have to second the rec on reflex math. its a single, one year subscription and I just file basic arithmetic math facts away in my mind-- done!!

the games are fun and really work. for some games the kids have to turn the sound off to keep the excitement at a tolerable level!

I dont like the store in the game so much, kind of teaches: do math well and you'll make money to buy clothes and accessories. Consumer training. I recommend not letting the kid play in the store.

the parent tracking is easy: a simple graphic displays how fluent they are getting and what math facts they have mastered.

my two favorite, super fun resources are reflexmath and bbc dance mat typing (the latter, free)

cheers!

Edited by Writerdaddy

I just signed up for xtramath.com today. It's free, and so far it's pretty easy. :)

I should be getting my new iPad tomorrow. :D :party: So I'll be searching for iPad apps, too.

ETA: I mean easy in a good way. The boys like it, even Astro. The whole being on the computer thing makes it more fun for them.