Menu

My boys ate poke

They thought it was spinach and ate a leaf a piece. After a call to poison contol and trip to the E.R. they are fine, but :scared:. They were growing in the garden where we planted spinach. Dh went to pull them and found over 50 plants interspersed around the garden between plants, weeds, and the perimeter.

My grandmother used to gather and cook it regularly. I remember heading out with her to find it. I think it has to be fairly small to be edible, though. And, yes, she cooked it - seemed like all day long! We had a lot of pokeweed come up in our yard this year, and I was going to try to cook it to see why my grandmother liked it so much (I never ate it as a kid - - too picky back then), but everything I read about it scared me, so we've been trying to eradicate them from our yard. Difficult to do since we don't use chemicals.

My mom loves poke salad and eggs. I hate it and the smell. You have to be careful with cooking cause it is poisonous if not prepared correctly.

I've been eating my mom's poke since I was a kid. Just has to be cooked like 3 times, water drained between each cooking.