Menu

Pot luck breakfast "side dish"? Help?

Today I was invited to join a large group of people for a Memorial Day pancake breakfast tomorrow. The group is providing pancakes, but is asking that people who come bring a "side dish" to share. So I need a breakfast "side dish" to go with pancakes, and it needs to be something I can make quite a bit of and that can sit around a little while and not become inedible. And the kicker is that due to personal religious convictions I try really hard not to shop on Sundays unless it's an absolute emergency. And I don't think this constitutes an emergency. So I need something I can make with what I already have. I have basic pantry ingredients like flour and sugar and baking powder and whatnot, and I just bought a bunch of eggs. I have some frozen fruit, but not much in the way of fresh fruit (except for some bananas that aren't quite ripe yet, a few apples that are starting to shrivel, and a couple of mangoes that are perfect but not enough to just slice up and take). I've got a package of precooked bacon, and most of a package of deli-sliced ham. And I have some shredded cheese.

Any ideas?

Quiche? That's my go-to breakfast thing. In my house it's not a side dish, but I recognize that we are weird.:tongue_smilie: but I think you could easily make quiche, with or without crust, with what you have around. Otherwise, I'd go tomorrow morning a get a watermelon. :tongue_smilie:

Quiche? That's my go-to breakfast thing. In my house it's not a side dish, but I recognize that we are weird.:tongue_smilie: but I think you could easily make quiche, with or without crust, with what you have around. Otherwise, I'd go tomorrow morning a get a watermelon. :tongue_smilie:

Quiche might work. It's a main dish at my house too, so I didn't think of it. Actually all the things I keep thinking of are main dish kinds of things. And a lot of them are in the bread "family", which wouldn't go well with pancakes. Although, maybe some of the people there won't like pancakes and would like an alternative.

I wonder if I have enough potatoes to make hash browns...

You might be able to pull ingredients together to make small frozen fruit cups. I usually make them in small plastic cups but they can also be done in muffin cups. If interested, do a search for recipes--there are a lot of variations.

Donut Holes! They go great with pancakes! OK, they go great with anything around here.

When I have made these, I use a regular donut recipe and just make small round balls instead of round donuts. After cooking, you can roll in cinnamon sugar, pwdered sugar, or leave plain. When I make the plain ones, I always add nutmeg to the dough.

ETA: also good are breakfast cookies. Lots of recipes out there. Chop up those almost shrivelled apples and add them in for great flavor.

Here's a thought. I have an aebleskiver pan--those things sold in the US for making "pancake puffs". Sometimes I use it to cook little "egg puffs" by mixing up some egg and milk like for scrambled eggs, and then adding a little crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and a smidge of green onion and then cooking it in the hollows of the pan with a little butter. Those are yummy and quicker to pull together than quiche, and they'll be easy to serve. Hopefully I'll be able to keep them warm, but I've eaten the things cold and they're still pretty good.

Quiche might work. It's a main dish at my house too, so I didn't think of it. Actually all the things I keep thinking of are main dish kinds of things. And a lot of them are in the bread "family", which wouldn't go well with pancakes. Although, maybe some of the people there won't like pancakes and would like an alternative.

I wonder if I have enough potatoes to make hash browns...

If you make tiny quichelettes in mini muffin tins, you can totally pass it off as a side dish.

Here's a thought. I have an aebleskiver pan--those things sold in the US for making "pancake puffs". Sometimes I use it to cook little "egg puffs" by mixing up some egg and milk like for scrambled eggs, and then adding a little crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and a smidge of green onion and then cooking it in the hollows of the pan with a little butter. Those are yummy and quicker to pull together than quiche, and they'll be easy to serve. Hopefully I'll be able to keep them warm, but I've eaten the things cold and they're still pretty good.

Those sound delicious. And I own (well, technically it belongs to DS 16) an aebelskiver pan.

I agree with the poster who said something eggy is a better match with pancakes than a baked good.

Today I was invited to join a large group of people for a Memorial Day pancake breakfast tomorrow. The group is providing pancakes, but is asking that people who come bring a "side dish" to share. So I need a breakfast "side dish" to go with pancakes, and it needs to be something I can make quite a bit of and that can sit around a little while and not become inedible. And the kicker is that due to personal religious convictions I try really hard not to shop on Sundays unless it's an absolute emergency. And I don't think this constitutes an emergency. So I need something I can make with what I already have. I have basic pantry ingredients like flour and sugar and baking powder and whatnot, and I just bought a bunch of eggs. I have some frozen fruit, but not much in the way of fresh fruit (except for some bananas that aren't quite ripe yet, a few apples that are starting to shrivel, and a couple of mangoes that are perfect but not enough to just slice up and take). I've got a package of precooked bacon, and most of a package of deli-sliced ham. And I have some shredded cheese.

Any ideas?

I would make a fruit salad by cutting up the fruit and mixing it together in a big bowl.

I think I'd go for a savory muffin of some sort, maybe with diced bacon in it and a bit of shredded cheese if you have it. Muffins like that can sit around a bit better than quiche. Plus being savory they are an alternative for folks not into pancakes.

I think I'd go for a savory muffin of some sort, maybe with diced bacon in it and a bit of shredded cheese if you have it. Muffins like that can sit around a bit better than quiche. Plus being savory they are an alternative for folks not into pancakes.

Or - could you make a fruit sauce for the pancakes? Spoon-able, maybe a bit chunky - will depend on what your frozen fruit is.

Hmmm...great ideas. I'm thinking eggy probably would be better than breadish. Fruit would be great, but I don't have enough fresh fruit for a fruit salad, and the frozen fruit is just a mixed fruit kind of thing that I think would just get soggy when it thawed. I use it for smoothies, which is wonderful--but again, not something that would work well at a potluck. Mini quiches sound fun. A little more work than the egg puffs, but....hmmmm....

A friend of mine always brings a crockpot full of oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins on the side to our mom's group breakfasts.

She says there is always someone who is trying to lose weight, avoid wheat, or syrup and the oatmeal is an easy to accommodate that.