Menu

Bible - I'm down to 2 choices

Ruby Rose

Next year I will be teaching 2nd and 4K. Last year we read through a children's Bible story book. This year I want something more formal with activities to engage the kids.

I'm looking at:

Bible Study Guide for All Ages

and

Sword Fighting combined with the Day By Day Kid's Bible

Thoughts?

I like Sword Fighting, but found it a little boring. I usually added printables or something to go aloing with it. We made through about 1/3 before I went with something else. I do plan to pick the book back up and finish it at some point- it' just a little bit much to do 52 weeks worth.

I wonder if maybe I was adding too much to what was already in the book.

That's not very helpful is it? I would say- if you can afford it, go ahead and buy Sword Fighting, it's not a bad investment and you'll use it eventually. But you may find another curricula more interesting to use right now with your age mix.

I love BSGFAA! My children have retained more from using it than any other Bible curriculum. Plus my children think it is fun! It is also very easy to use. Even I have learned and memorized a lot of Bible from using it! :001_smile:

We plan to do BSGFAA for the first time next fall. I ordered the first two sets of Primary pages along with the teacher's guides. I think that it would be difficult to do some of the activities without the teacher's guide because the instructions for some of the activities for the Primary pages are not on the student page and only in the teacher's guide. It's my understanding that the other levels aren't this way. For me, I looked at the beginner and intermediate pages and thought one was too simple and the other too involved for this coming year for my DD, so I'm planning to do the Primary pages for one year with the teacher's guide and hopefully be able to switch to Intermediate the following year.

Thank you all for the replies. I finally found a sample of Sword Fighting, and my eyes did start glazing over. Like the concept, but don't think it's right for us right now.

As for BSGFAA, probably going to go with that, but hate that I have to buy the manual. I'll probably get the Beginner for my 4 yo and the Primary for my 7 yo.

Thank you all for the replies. I finally found a sample of Sword Fighting, and my eyes did start glazing over. Like the concept, but don't think it's right for us right now.

As for BSGFAA, probably going to go with that, but hate that I have to buy the manual. I'll probably get the Beginner for my 4 yo and the Primary for my 7 yo.

I don't think you need the manual if you're buying the student pages. You will probably want to get the CD and Beginner time line, though, since they're scheduled into the lessons (and I thought the Beg. TL was really neat!)

That said, I didn't care for BSGFAA. Felt like it was more geared toward a class or group and I just had my nearly 4 and 6 yr. olds. We're using Karyn Henley's Beginner's Bible/Begin-to-Read Bible (1 story a day) + one of her devos + We Choose Virtures (1 virtue a week). We may come back to BSGFAA when they are older, but I didn't like it for this age.

ETA: We are actually planning on using Sword Fighting (maybe next year, this year I think we'll do Growing With Jesus devo :D)... but Sword Fighting was super-expensive on Amazon. Don't forget to check places like thriftbooks.com or alibris.com for used Bibles and devos. We just bought the Day by Day Kid's Bible and Sword Fighting for dirt cheap (under $5).

Edited by alisoncooks

I've heard a lot of people say that you don't need the Teacher's Guide, but on the website it says the Primary Level REQUIRES the Teacher's Guide. Really?

I used the beginner pages and did not have the Teacher Guide. I thought we had enough. I have no idea what we are missing but we enjoyed our year with just the beginner pages.

For our Bible time or studies, we have enjoyed using Susan Hunt's various books (e.g. My ABC Bible Verses, Big Truths for Little Kids, Sammy and His Shepherd, Discovering Jesus in Genesis) and Sinclair Ferguson's "Big Books of Questions and Answers". Great books that teach about the Bible and about Jesus.

We usually work through these books along with scripture and catechism memory.

For BSGFAA, I don't like that you need the teacher pages for the Primary level, either. The Primary level is new, so we plan to just skip it and go right from Beginner to Intermediate. You do not need a guide for those. You DO need it for Primary, or the pages are too confusing. I also think the Primary pages will make it difficult for multiple levels to work together.