Menu

To do in Birmingham, AL with kids this weekend?

Well, you could wave at me, for one!!!

(But we're going to the beach. . . . .)

McWane is wonderful. Really, really wonderful. We prefer it to the Indianapolis Children's Museum, if you can believe that.

The Civil Rights Museum is very well done, as well. Such an important part of B'ham history. Depending on the ages of your kids. . . it used to be free on Sundays, but you'd need to check on that.

There is a nice museum of art downtown that's free. It's right on a nice downtown green, fairly safe neighborhood/area. I've heard the new Railroad Park downtown is nice as well. . .

Homewood is a funky, fun, kinda suburb with more of a city feel. The traffic there is horrendous, but the park in the center of town is neat.

If you're more outdoorsy, Oak Mountain State Park is just south of B'ham - a huge state park, neat wildlife center and farm, great trails and a lake beach. There's another hiking park - Ruffner Mountain Nature Center - it's crazy, it's in this urban neighborhood but it's an oasis of hiking and nature! Very neat.

I'll probably think of more. It's really very pretty down here - shouldn't be TOO hot this time of year.

Enjoy our city!