Menu

Can World History be divided for for 9th & 10th?

After reading multiple postings regarding AP World History and given the depth/scope I am considering dividing World History into a 9th and 10th grade class. Thus covering the material in two years versus one.

In my local school district the sequence is

9th - world geography

10th - world history

11th- US history

12th - gov't/economics

The plan is to use World History Our Human Story (k12 book) by Pearson and Holden. There is so much material I thought that I could divide the book in half and cover the ancients in 9th along with adding in supplementation on world geography. For 10th finish and study for the AP World History exam.

Has anyone else use this book? (it looks amazing)

I would really like to go deep on World History and I think two years would give her a deeper understanding. I am not sure how I would show this on her transcript, except counting the 9th grade as World Geography and 10th as World History? Can anyone suggest a good World Geography course I can include?

Would this scenario be reasonable?

TIA

Edited by Mom2GirlsTX

I don't know about a geography course, but we're breaking world history into two years. We're using Spielvogel as a spine along with Great Books. 9th grade will be Ancient Egyptians and Greeks, 10th grade we will do Romans and Middle Ages.

We focused on Renaissance - scientific revolution this year, so we won't hit that time period again in high school (probably).

11th grade will be US history. 12th will be government and a semester of something else.

I plan on titling them World History I and II on the transcripts.

I don't know about a geography course, but we're breaking world history into two years. We're using Spielvogel as a spine along with Great Books. 9th grade will be Ancient Egyptians and Greeks, 10th grade we will do Romans and Middle Ages. I plan on titling them World History I and II on the transcripts.

I'm also using Spielvogel over 2 years, covering Ancients-Medieval in 9th and Renaissance-Modern in 10th. I plan to call it World History I and II.

We're taking three years of high school for World History, and one for U.S. I can't imagine covering it all well in one year.... The way we are doing it is only enough because my DS has had so much history over the years - he has an excellent background to start with.

We'll have to add government/civics in there the year we are doing US history, but geography is already mixed in all four years. Economics is also being covered every year as we go through different civilizations/nations/cultures/etc.

The plan is to use World History Our Human Story (k12 book) by Pearson and Holden. There is so much material I thought that I could divide the book in half and cover the ancients in 9th along with adding in supplementation on world geography. For 10th finish and study for the AP World History exam.

Has anyone else use this book? (it looks amazing)

I would really like to go deep on World History and I think two years would give her a deeper understanding. I am not sure how I would show this on her transcript, except counting the 9th grade as World Geography and 10th as World History? Can anyone suggest a good World Geography course I can include?

Would this scenario be reasonable?

TIA

I'm guessing that the K12 book would not be sufficient to study for the AP exam. It is a wonderful book, but it is essentially their middle school series repackaged as a high school book.

For AP World History, I would use Ways of the World, doing one volume each year.

A great geography book is Geography Alive! by TCI.