Menu

Let's share neat ideas. Here's a couple.....

This first idea was inspired by something being done in a class my son is taking. I thought my youngest dd would like it......and she does! All you need is a buzzer......we use one from the game Taboo. Then, print off a morse code chart. Buzz letters, one at a time, using the morse code. My dd writes the letters down when she figures them out, or she can just try and remember the letters. She has to figure out the word I buzz. She loves buzzing words for me too. You can make the words as simple or as hard as you want. You could even buzz out sentences.

The other idea is this spice rack I got at a garage sale. It was brand new and sat in the box for a couple of months after I bought it. Finally I thought I'd just fill it with little things, instead of spices......googly eyes, counting chips, paper clips, push pins, pencil top erasers, etc. I think it's really cute.

Well, that's about it. I guess I don't have too many neat ideas to share. If I think of more, I'll post. How about you? Do you have any neat ideas that the rest of us (or at least me :001_smile: ) might not have thought of??

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I like your spice rack idea.

I'm just not creative. Today I used up some of our old play-doh by having the kids shape volcanoes out of it, which we then filled with baking soda and vinegar. Sigh....The kids love anything messy!

I don't think your ideas are dumb! I just think everyone has end of year brain fog. I know I usually have tons of fun ideas at the beginning of the year...by this time, meh...not so much.

I like the morse code idea too.:001_smile:

Thanks! Well, be sure to post tons of your ideas at the beginning of next school year! I'm alway up for wanting a new idea....especially if it involves something I already have but I would have never thought to use it for that (whatever the neat idea is).

I like your spice rack idea.

I'm just not creative. Today I used up some of our old play-doh by having the kids shape volcanoes out of it, which we then filled with baking soda and vinegar. Sigh....The kids love anything messy!

Thanks (and I might add that this is in the school room, not the kitchen. :lol: ). Well....see, your play-doh volcano is a great idea. I would have never thought of using play-doh. Actually, I have never done volcanoes with my kids. *sigh*. How do you go about it with the baking soda and vinegar (how much of each?). Thanks for the idea!

Well....see, your play-doh volcano is a great idea. I would have never thought of using play-doh. Actually, I have never done volcanoes with my kids. *sigh*. How do you go about it with the baking soda and vinegar (how much of each?). Thanks for the idea!

Well, it wasn't actually all that spectacular. :lol: I had a bunch of containers of play-doh that my 3yo had mushed together so that there were no *colors* anymore, just brownish-gray-ish stuff, and they were starting to dry out, too, so I figured we could get rid of them. We just shaped it into volcano shapes and left a little hollowed out area at the top. (I actually stuck little plastic medicine cups in them, the kind that comes with children's Tylenol or whatever, so that my kids could sort of shape the playdoh around them.) I put---I don't know---a tablespoon or two of baking soda in there and a few drops of red food coloring. Then we took them outside (less mess that way) and poured in maybe half a cup of vinegar. I'm not really sure. I just kept pouring until it stopped bubbling and running down the sides of the volcano. It's cheap and easy, but my 5yo and 3yo thought it was pretty cool.

Oh, and before we "erupted" the volcanoes, we had to take pictures of them with those little green army men posed all around them. :lol:

I LOVE your ideas- we are reading Cheaper by the Dozen and, by jingo, I think we'll do your morse code idea!!

My idea for summer has to do with a list of stuff to do: food, outdoor activities, challenges, crafts, etc. This week is my week to format it and get it useable. Still waiting for a creative formatting idea to hit!

Well, it wasn't actually all that spectacular. :lol: I had a bunch of containers of play-doh that my 3yo had mushed together so that there were no *colors* anymore, just brownish-gray-ish stuff, and they were starting to dry out, too, so I figured we could get rid of them. We just shaped it into volcano shapes and left a little hollowed out area at the top. (I actually stuck little plastic medicine cups in them, the kind that comes with children's Tylenol or whatever, so that my kids could sort of shape the playdoh around them.) I put---I don't know---a tablespoon or two of baking soda in there and a few drops of red food coloring. Then we took them outside (less mess that way) and poured in maybe half a cup of vinegar. I'm not really sure. I just kept pouring until it stopped bubbling and running down the sides of the volcano. It's cheap and easy, but my 5yo and 3yo thought it was pretty cool.

Oh, and before we "erupted" the volcanoes, we had to take pictures of them with those little green army men posed all around them. :lol:

Great ideas! I wouldn't have even thought about putting the red food coloring in there.....and we always have tons of the little medicine cups around. My dd would love to do this. Thanks!

I LOVE your ideas- we are reading Cheaper by the Dozen and, by jingo, I think we'll do your morse code idea!!

My idea for summer has to do with a list of stuff to do: food, outdoor activities, challenges, crafts, etc. This week is my week to format it and get it useable. Still waiting for a creative formatting idea to hit!

Hmmmm.....now you have me wondering what Cheaper by the Dozen has to do with it. :lol:

Glad you like the morse code idea. My dd wants us to buzz words each night before bed. My words are like, "bed" "sleep" "now". Her words.....well, let's just say that I know when she starts by buzzing the letter "p" that more than likely her word is going to be "poop".........*again*. Why???

:lol:

Envy anyone with creativity at this time of the year! Working on finishing up this year with my son and writing lesson plans for next year. This mom has total brain fog! ;)

Aww...I think Candace needs a nap. :001_smile: I haven't even started lessons plans for next year yet. :glare:

You've just got to read the book and find out! It's a terrific, lol, read-aloud worthy look at a family with 12 kids!

OMGosh....you are just like my mother! If I ever asked her a question, instead of answering it....she'd say, "Look it up". Now I have to read the book.............

:001_smile:

OMGosh....you are just like my mother! If I ever asked her a question, instead of answering it....she'd say, "Look it up". Now I have to read the book.............

:001_smile:

I'm probably old enough to be your Momma!

You won't regret it - it's a great book!

:iagree:Tammy's right!

You won't regret it - it's a great book!

I'm probably old enough to be your Momma!

:iagree:Tammy's right!

That's sweet.....but, I highly doubt it. Not unless you are in your 60's. :lol: More than likely we are about the same age. ;)

Well, goll darn it!.....fine! Tammy and Lisa have convinced me to get that book from the library.

Here is a blog post of mine about something which really has changed our homeschool for the better.

https://docs.google.com

Best tool for writing ever!

Gone are the days of printing out the writing assignment.

Gone are the days of cross-outs, red pens, and scribbled out mistakes.

Gone are the days of hurt and overwhelmed feelings.

Instead my daughter shares her work with me.

I sit on one couch and she sits on the other.

Opening the document, I spy her green cursor, and she is delighted by my pink one.

We are able to discuss the writing and fix any problems immediately.

Either she or I can fix those problems on our computer.

Google Docs has changed our homeschool for the better.

sadly, I can only mooch off the wonderful ideas already being shared.

I have 2 more weeks of school, and am doing all I can to get through it. I do not have an ounce of creativity or anything resembling a neat idea right now! I have received *most* of my curriculum for next year, so once I start the actual planning part here in another 2 wks or so, maybe I will have something worth sharing.

BTW, to the OP, your ideas are sooooo *not* dumb!!!!!! I, for one, plan on stealing BOTH of your ideas! I am "taking" w/o contributing :tongue_smilie: (for now anyway!)

Here is a blog post of mine about something which really has changed our homeschool for the better.

https://docs.google.com

Best tool for writing ever!

Gone are the days of printing out the writing assignment.

Gone are the days of cross-outs, red pens, and scribbled out mistakes.

Gone are the days of hurt and overwhelmed feelings.

Instead my daughter shares her work with me.

I sit on one couch and she sits on the other.

Opening the document, I spy her green cursor, and she is delighted by my pink one.

We are able to discuss the writing and fix any problems immediately.

Either she or I can fix those problems on our computer.

Google Docs has changed our homeschool for the better.

That's a neat idea. I wouldn't have a clue how it would work. I'm assuming your both have laptops then?

sadly, I can only mooch off the wonderful ideas already being shared.

I have 2 more weeks of school, and am doing all I can to get through it. I do not have an ounce of creativity or anything resembling a neat idea right now! I have received *most* of my curriculum for next year, so once I start the actual planning part here in another 2 wks or so, maybe I will have something worth sharing.

BTW, to the OP, your ideas are sooooo *not* dumb!!!!!! I, for one, plan on stealing BOTH of your ideas! I am "taking" w/o contributing :tongue_smilie: (for now anyway!)

You can mooch, I don't mind. :001_smile: Thank you for the bolded.....it brings a smile to my face. See: :D

I would agree this is a great way to go through a writing excercise. When I did it with my 4th grader this year it made so much more sense to her when we could just go through it together and make changes that way.

It was a really great experience.

We have a laptop and a desktop, so we have to sit at the table but it still works.

That's a neat idea. I wouldn't have a clue how it would work. I'm assuming your both have laptops then?

You can mooch, I don't mind. :001_smile: Thank you for the bolded.....it brings a smile to my face. See: :D

DSs have never been artsy-craftsy, but every summer I had them do some sort of kit that resulted in gifts for the grandmas and aunts:

- a beeswax candle making kit (just required hot air from the hair dryer)

- a Sculpty pencil eraser clay kit (everyone got a new pencil with a unique pencil eraser topper)

- painted flat wooden (also white plaster) Christmas tree ornaments (from Michael's) -- some have a hole for inserting a wallet-size photo of the child

- "pot pals" -- mold Sculpty clay into an animal and fit it so it balances on the edge of a plant pot; bake; paint; gift grandma!

- a series of Jesse tree ornaments

- suncatchers (kits from Michaels, where you fill in the frame with plastic beads, bake and have "stained glass")

One time we did a grid on the driveway concrete and a matching grid on a famous work of art and used up the sidewalk chalk recreating a masterpiece on the driveway. Chalk is also fun to grind up with a rock into powder, add a few drops of water and paint with a big brush on the sidewalk. Chalk is also great fun for drawing mazes and paths for other family members to follow, with a surprise picture or riddle, etc. at the end of each path.

We've used up old ends of crayons by turning them into shavings with a handheld cheapo pencil sharpener, then put the shavings between layers of wax paper; use an iron to melt together, and then cut to fit a cardboard frame, or black paper for a window decoration, placemat (need to use contact paper over the whole thing), or as a fancy insert for a home-made card.

Those small Dover stained glass coloring books, when colored with markers, also make great inserts for a home-made card.

Save your collections of flowers, leaves, feathers and other interesting flat finds between two sheets of clear contact paper for lovely placemats or window hangings.

Use old bits of colorful wrapping paper, cut into even squares and do origami.

Take greeting cards, letters, postcards from vacation, photos, and other flat items given/sent to the child and make a lap book/scrap book out of it all.

Our DSs loved the baking soda and vinegar just in plastic disposable cups outside, playing mad scientist. They also loved clear plastic cups filled with water, each cup mixed with a different tint of food coloring; then they would mix different primary color combinations into empty clear plastic cups to see what colors resulted.

Another science fun hands-on they loved: make up some red cabbage indicator; then use an empty styrofoam egg carton and put a little something in each egg cup (milk, vinegar, baking soda, baking powder, apple juice, sugar, etc.), and then have extra fun using an eyedropper to suck up some red cabbage indicator and dripping it onto each item to see what reacts, and how.

Wet down the sand in the sandbox, and give them a bag of recycling (paper towel and toilet paper tubes, empty plastic cups, disposable flatware, etc.), along with matchbox cars and plastic dinosaurs, soldiers, etc. and let them build a town/fort/road system, etc.

Have fun! Warmest regards, Lori D.

ETA: Oh! And don't forget to swing by the big appliance store and fill the back of your truck or van with cardboard boxes, then with the help of a little duct tape, make forts, mazes, castles, space ships, pirate ships, hideouts....

Also, taking finger prints and looking at them with a magnifying glass was fun when they were young. And then use ideas from Ed Emberly books from the library to turn fingerprints into cute doodles.

Edited by Lori D.

DSs have never been artsy-craftsy, but every summer I had them do some sort of kit that resulted in gifts for the grandmas and aunts:

- a beeswax candle making kit (just required hot air from the hair dryer)

- a Sculpty pencil eraser clay kit (everyone got a new pencil with a unique pencil eraser topper)

- painted flat wooden (also white plaster) Christmas tree ornaments (from Michael's) -- some have a hole for inserting a wallet-size photo of the child

- "pot pals" -- mold Sculpty clay into an animal and fit it so it balances on the edge of a plant pot; bake; paint; gift grandma!

- a series of Jesse tree ornaments

- suncatchers (kits from Michaels, where you fill in the frame with plastic beads, bake and have "stained glass")

One time we did a grid on the driveway concrete and a matching grid on a famous work of art and used up the sidewalk chalk recreating a masterpiece on the driveway. Chalk is also fun to grind up with a rock into powder, add a few drops of water and paint with a big brush on the sidewalk. Chalk is also great fun for drawing mazes and paths for other family members to follow, with a surprise picture or riddle, etc. at the end of each path.

We've used up old ends of crayons by turning them into shavings with a handheld cheapo pencil sharpener, then put the shavings between layers of wax paper; use an iron to melt together, and then cut to fit a cardboard frame, or black paper for a window decoration, placemat (need to use contact paper over the whole thing), or as a fancy insert for a home-made card.

Those small Dover stained glass coloring books, when colored with markers, also make great inserts for a home-made card.

Save your collections of flowers, leaves, feathers and other interesting flat finds between two sheets of clear contact paper for lovely placemats or window hangings.

Use old bits of colorful wrapping paper, cut into even squares and do origami.

Take greeting cards, letters, postcards from vacation, photos, and other flat items given/sent to the child and make a lap book/scrap book out of it all.

Our DSs loved the baking soda and vinegar just in plastic disposable cups outside, playing mad scientist. They also loved clear plastic cups filled with water, each cup mixed with a different tint of food coloring; then they would mix different primary color combinations into empty clear plastic cups to see what colors resulted.

Another science fun hands-on they loved: make up some red cabbage indicator; then use an empty styrofoam egg carton and put a little something in each egg cup (milk, vinegar, baking soda, baking powder, apple juice, sugar, etc.), and then have extra fun using an eyedropper to suck up some red cabbage indicator and dripping it onto each item to see what reacts, and how.

Wet down the sand in the sandbox, and give them a bag of recycling (paper towel and toilet paper tubes, empty plastic cups, disposable flatware, etc.), along with matchbox cars and plastic dinosaurs, soldiers, etc. and let them build a town/fort/road system, etc.

Have fun! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Wow, what a list!!! Thankyou for sharing your ideas.