Menu

Noah Plan

rcgenesis1

Hi! Sorry I didn't see this earlier; I had a major health scare and have been MIA for a bit.

We are gearing up to use the Noah Plan / Principle Approach with our littles. The oldest of our littles just turned 4, and as soon as I can get myself back up-to-speed health wise, we will be doing math and phonics/reading. I am not sure how soon it will be before we jump into the full K curriculum plan.

In the meantime, I am going through FACE's Principle Approach Self-Directed Study, and I will also be completing a study plan for the GACE book through a yahoo group.

We are super excited about it all, and I am completely entranced with everything I am learning myself!

I know that there is a Debbie in Oregon on here who has used the Principle Approach for quite a while with her kids. Keep an eye out for her posts - she is very helpful.

There are also a couple of yahoo groups on the principle approach, GACE, etc., and the forums over at the FACE website are getting better.

Hope this helps! Keeping in mind that I'm a total newbie, if there's anything you think I can help you with, feel free to PM me anytime!

:-)

Tracey in Oregon

A curriculum plan based on the Principle Approach, as laid out by Foundation for American Christian Education, and as they implemented it in their private christian schools. It emphasizes the type of education that our founding father's had and God's providence in our American History and the Westward Movement of Christianity (that's their term, I can't claim it, LOL!). The Noah Plan lays things out with lesson plans, etc. whereas the Principle Approach is more the overall concept and method.

You can find out more about it at the FACE website (I think it's http://www.face.org). It's rigorous, classical, but very teacher-intensive, especially in the first few years. We are VERY excited about it. :-)

Tracey in Oregon

A curriculum plan based on the Principle Approach, as laid out by Foundation for American Christian Education, and as they implemented it in their private christian schools. It emphasizes the type of education that our founding father's had and God's providence in our American History and the Westward Movement of Christianity (that's their term, I can't claim it, LOL!). The Noah Plan lays things out with lesson plans, etc. whereas the Principle Approach is more the overall concept and method.

You can find out more about it at the FACE website (I think it's www.face.org). It's rigorous, classical, but very teacher-intensive, especially in the first few years. We are VERY excited about it. :-)

Tracey in Oregon

Can you explain why you think this is classical? I don't know that I agree. We used some FACE materials with my older dc years ago and unless something has drastically changed, I did not find it to be classical. As far as I recall and with what I just looked at on the Principle Approach website, they still focus on American history.

Edited by PentecostalMom

What's the Noah Plan?

The Foundation for American Christian Education is arguable the most extremist of the all the theological-educational groups in America today. They espouse the providentalist/dominionist view of American History of people like RJ Rushdooney. They include the idea a that America was founded as a Reformed Protestant Christian nation as part of God's plan. That we are locked in a struggle with secularists who would subvert God's plan for an American Reformed Protestant Christrian theocracy that must be joined.

It includes notions that different races have different roles in God's plan and that it was/is the role of the White race in America found God's kingdom on earth.

That sort of thing.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
Unfortunate auto spell error

http://www.principleapproach.org/?page=noah_plan

Isn't this the right link for the Noah Plan Curriculum? You can view it by clicking on the catalog at the bottom. I'm perplexed why only US history is taught throughout all grades?

From what I've seen of the curriculum, I assume the focus on US History is part of the providentalist belief system being taught.

I've always wanted to get ahold of some of these books to read through. I think there are some interesting ideas interspersed throughout the curriculum, that I could learn a LOT from, even though I find the world view naive at the very least.

Recently I was wondering what it must be like to have always lived in the middle of this vast country. I have always lived on the coast, and also on a British Island. I have citizenship in 3 countries, and grew up around people from all over the world.

I realized recently though, that I have NO idea what it must feel like to be surrounded by America. I realized when I speak/write I am naive about what that must be like. I lived most of my life on the COAST of America, but not IN America.

I've been feeling a desire to start an American history and geography study soon. Maybe I will save up for some Noah resources, for when I do it. I am really an infant when it comes to American history and geography. I learned the names of the states and capitals in Bermuda :-0 The Bermudian kids knew more about America than I did, even though I had been living here for 6 years! That time was spent living in welfare slums and in the woods of a small fishing village, where my mom was married to a Norwegian fisherman. It wasn't AMERICA the way that others know it.

I will NEVER believe in providential history. I have been exposed to that at a church I attended. I'm interested in the curriculum though. The language arts has been recommended to me many times.

Edited by Hunter

The Noah Plan teaches American history in Grades 1-5 and World History in Grades 6-12.

With What Resources? I looked through their entire catalog last night and it seemed that the same history books was listed like every year. Must be one long book. Maybe I missed it though.

The Noah Plan teaches American history in Grades 1-5 and World History in Grades 6-12. :)

With What Resources? I looked through their entire catalog last night and it seemed that the same history books was listed like every year. Must be one long book. Maybe I missed it though.

I don't see it either. Same books they used when we used it along with Notgrass several years ago.

I don't see it either. Same books they used when we used it along with Notgrass several years ago.

The main book that you are asking about is the History and Geography Curriculum Guide. It is used for K-12. After looking at it more closely, I realized that my first answer was incorrect. They teach universal history primarily in grades 6, 7, 9, 10, and 11. The subjects for grades 5-7 are repeated again in grades 8-11 in much greater detail. Grade 12 is in depth study of economics and government. In the lower grades (K-4), American history is taught in conjunction with some universal history sequentially. For example, history of the Bible, Columbus/Spain and other explorers history along with New World, English and French history along with American Revolution, etc.

They also have recommendations for both student and teacher resources like biographies and other living books that deal with the time period. I know their packages show some of the resources that can be used. They use the "red books" every year so perhaps this is what you were thinking

Hope this helps!

Edited by Mommyof3boys

I looked the curriculum over. We have used some of the books with other things. Many we enjoyed. We could not seem to use "America's Providential History" at all. I think they use it with Beautiful Feet American History. It was just not something my dc's could listen to at that age. Definately not SOTW. I think we ended up with Christian Liberty's " History for Little Pilgrims" for our spine.