Menu

Scholastic warehouse sale?

I did end up going this morning! I got 19 books + a set of 12 Thomas the Train phonics readers for ~$60! I'm happy. :)

original:

There's one coming up in our area and I'd never heard of it before this year - just wondering if anyone has ever been to one? How was it?

Edited by PeacefulChaos

I personally wasn't all that impressed with the one I attended. But I shop more discount places, I suppose, so their prices didn't really compete with what I typically buy items for. I honestly left empty handed and that's actually hard for me to do when books are involved.

To be fair though, my kids were a little young when I attended so there were some older books that would have been more tempting if they would be read in the near future. But the prices still weren't quite what I was expecting (but I'm also very frugal too, ha!).

The warehouse sales in the city where I used to live were rather meh, but the ones here are spectacular. They have a vast selection of all kinds of books, nearly all at least 50% off, and then if you register for the sale you will get a coupon that gives you further discounts. I have found the fiction offerings a bit lacking but I buy tons of science and other nonfiction books. Definitely worth checking out, at least, IME.

Edited by JennyD

I love ours and go just about every time they have one - usually 2 to 3 times a year. I register and get the coupon for $10 off a $50 order. I usually get 9 or 10 books for around $40 with the coupon.

The best things I've found:

A visual encyclopedia of the Solar System

National Geographic Kids First Big Book of Animals

National Geographic Kids First Big Book of Why

National Geographic Kids Ultimate US Road Trip Atlas

Scholastic Kids Science Encyclopedia

a couple Usborne encyclopedias

Magic School Bus books

Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That books

a lot of fun stepped readers and picture books

They usually have Rick Riordan books, cookbooks, and a lot of series books. I saw Captain Underpants and Judy Mooney.

I went a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. I spent $51 ($41 after the coupon) and got several hardback picture books, paperback picture books (all history related to go along with Galloping the Globe) and the boys chose a few small picture books.

You can also volunteer and earn $10 for every hour you volunteer. I'm registered to "work" Wednesday, then will use the money earned to purchase Christmas gifts for nieces and nephews (and I'm sure a few more for home!).

We have the warehouse sale here in Vegas and it is amazing. They do the sale 3 times a year. The ones in may and December are better sales. Everything in the warehouse is at least 50 percent off. They sometimes have build a box sections where anything in a certain section that you can fit in a box is 25 dollars. They have a damages books section where damaged books oe things that comeback from school fairs with missing pieces are $1. Think Lego encyclopedia with the little figure missing, cover bent, stuff like that. They also have stuff that doesn't sales well or that they have for a while that they markdown to 80 percent off. I just remembered that sometimes really popular fiction books that just came out may only be 25 percent off. This is a great deal on the big packs of books, magic treehouse, a-z mysteries stuff like that.

I would also recommend volunteering I tend to have more time than extra money most of the time. they pay in $10 per hour in anything at the warehouse. Think posters, software games, pens and stuff, cookbooks, a few adult books. They also here really need people during the day because they have tons of teachers that volunteer after 3 butlack people during the day. and then in the may sale after the sale ends they need tons of help because they have to inventory everything in the warehouse.

The August sale is different at least here. They only set up about 6-10 of those silver book shelf things so not as much selection. But, the peoplewhovolunteer get the whole warehouse.

Sorry this turned into a book but I love the scholastic warehouse sales. We have been able to try tons of books that I would not normally been able to purchase and if we didn't like them, meh only spent 2-3 dollars. I am very, very sad that time cannot permit me to volunteer at this current sale. What are we going to do for fun reading over the summer. :D

I received the email about ours and I'm bummed I'm past those days. I loved going to those sales. I always came out with a huge box of books and activity kits. The prices were always low compared to my regular shopping at Barnes and Noble and Amazon. My friend and I would leave our kids with her DH and go alone. The kids would run around pulling stuff off the shelves and tossing it into our basket and we would end up spending more money than we antipated! It was more fun for us to arrive back home with a big box and watch the kids pull the surprises out. :) It was these sales that helped build my kids' books library very quickly.

I did go this morning and made out pretty well. :) I spent ~$60 and got 19 books+ a set of 12 Thomas the Train phonics readers.

The most I spent on anything was $5 (for a book about extreme weather, which I can use next year - oh, and for a Star Wars character encyclopedia because I know they'll love it! :D ) - most everything was $2-$2.50.

I definitely left happy. :)