Menu

The book "Tender Warrior" by Stu Weber...or other books preparing for courtship...

Anyone here know anything about the book "Tender Warrior" by Stu Weber?

Is the book aimed mostly at older, already married men?

I'm looking for something for my ds 17. We are a family that could best be described as "leaning towards courtship", and my ds knows that he needs to be an adult in every sense of the word before he starts looking for the right girl. He has a girl "friend" from our church (also a courtship family). I think both of the kids know they're not ready for a romantic relationship yet, but rather than focusing on the "thou shalt nots", I'd rather have him focus on what he needs to do and learn in order to someday be a good husband. Although we've been teaching him all the way along what it takes to be a real man, I find that having a book to read helps him to focus and internalize.

Amazon had a book titled "Tender Warrior" that sounds like it emphasizes the right things, but I can't tell either from the description or the reviews if it would be appropriate for his situation.

Perhaps you know of another book that might be right? I don't want it to be about the courtship process, per se, but more generally about becoming a man the right girl will want to marry.

Thanks a bunch,

Julie

Julie,

I don't know about this book, either, but I commend you on your stance here. Our boys (12, 10, 8, 7) are being taught that you don't need to be in a romantic relationship with a girl until you are ready to be married. You can't be married until you can support a household. So concentrate on your education/learning a vocation first.

Best wishes to you!

Cindy

I am right there with you on your stance! Me too, me too!!

I don't know about Tender Warrior, but I do know about I Kissed Dating Goodbye. While IKDG does focus a lot on convincing the teenager that traditional dating is a dead-end, it also emphasizes what a single young man or woman ought to be doing with their time: becoming the person God wants them to be so that they're ready for marriage when it's time.

Maybe you should look for books that emphasize "purposeful singleness".

Anyone here know anything about the book "Tender Warrior" by Stu Weber?

Perhaps you know of another book that might be right? I don't want it to be about the courtship process, per se, but more generally about becoming a man the right girl will want to marry.

Thanks a bunch,

Julie

Before dh and I were married, we lived in different cities and had work schedules that made it hard to see each other. Formal pre-marital counseling was out of the question. So instead, we each picked out a couple of books, read them, made comments in the margins and then swapped books. We kept this going for quite a while.

Tender Warrior was one of the books we read together. It was a book that dh had picked out. It was probably the one that we discussed the least, but I remember thinking that it was a well done book.

Another good book along these lines is I Loved A Girl by Walter Trobisch and the follow on book I Married You. You might also consider a financial book like one of the Ron Blue books or something similar. DH and I did one of the Ron Blue video courses together in our Sunday School. That was a great thing to do.