Menu

How many hamburgers/hotdogs for 20 people?

We're having a BBQ at our house today. We have 20 people coming, around half are kids, half are adults. Most of the kids are boys around the age of 12.

We are BBQ'ing hamburgers and hotdogs. I have no idea how many of each I should prepare. I also tend to worry about not having enough food, so I usually make way too much.

So, if YOU had 20 people coming over at 5:00, how many hotdogs and how many hamburger patties would you have waiting?

MichelleT

I'd have 30 each of hamburgers and hotdogs. You will definitely have leftovers, I'd guess about 5-10 each, but if your guests prefer one food much more than the other you're covered. Of course, in our house, the extras wouldn't go to waste, so you might want to scale back a bit if you wouldn't eat the leftovers.

Assuming there are lots of side dishes (which there usually are!!) I'd make 20 burgers, and 2 packages of hot dogs (20). I'd have an extra package or two of hotdogs on hand, and an extra tray of meat for burgers. That way, it's pretty simple to throw some more on the grill. I think with my original numbers, you'll still have leftovers, as some kids will eat only hot dogs, and the women and children who have a burger won't have 2.

Have a fun party!

I agree with others -- 30 minimum of each. Though honestly, if most of the "kids" are 12yo boys, I'd probably go with 40 of each. As Gretchen said, you can freeze uncooked leftovers, and I'd much rather fill my guests up and have leftovers than have people stopping for pizza on their way home.

I agree with others -- 30 minimum of each. Though honestly, if most of the "kids" are 12yo boys, I'd probably go with 40 of each. As Gretchen said, you can freeze uncooked leftovers, and I'd much rather fill my guests up and have leftovers than have people stopping for pizza on their way home.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We're having a BBQ at our house today. We have 20 people coming, around half are kids, half are adults. Most of the kids are boys around the age of 12.

We are BBQ'ing hamburgers and hotdogs. I have no idea how many of each I should prepare. I also tend to worry about not having enough food, so I usually make way too much.

So, if YOU had 20 people coming over at 5:00, how many hotdogs and how many hamburger patties would you have waiting?

MichelleT

I'm going to figure on 30 of each. I'm sure I'll have a lot leftover, but we will finish them off quickly enough.

Oy. It's already 2:00, and I haven't even gone to the market yet! Guess I'd better get cracking!

Michelle T

How did those numbers work out for you, Michelle?

We are having a cook-out here on July 12. I was figuring 1 hamburger and 1 brat per adult and 2 hot dogs per child. That would be 2 portions of meat for each person. We're also serving potato salad, baked beans and chips plus desserts to follow.

Any suggestions for making a cook-out for a crowd run smoothly? :) Our guest list stands at 38 people. Some may not come, but we always pick up a few strays beforehand so it evens out. :D

How did those numbers work out for you, Michelle?

We are having a cook-out here on July 12. I was figuring 1 hamburger and 1 brat per adult and 2 hot dogs per child. That would be 2 portions of meat for each person. We're also serving potato salad, baked beans and chips plus desserts to follow.

Any suggestions for making a cook-out for a crowd run smoothly? :) Our guest list stands at 38 people. Some may not come, but we always pick up a few strays beforehand so it evens out. :D

I got 30 hotdogs, and have 20 left. I made 28 burger patties, and have at least half left, probably more. Plus all those buns! To my surprise, the kids all ate only one meat each. I expected them to eat a lot more, but they were too busy jumping on our trampoline, and making dumb videos of each other.

I guess our guests just weren't hungry, or didn't like my burgers, or something! DH is laughing at me now, saying I must have gone crazy at the market. I actually had him take a pack of hotdogs and a bag of hotdog buns in to work, I figure someone in his office will want them! Plus I told him to bring his assistant home for lunch today and have a burger!

We'll be eating burgers for dinner most of this week. Plus, I have lots of leftover macaroni salad and potato salad. Sigh.

But it was a fun party. We played the game Apples to Apples with almost 20 people, ranging from age 10 up to late 40's. And everyone had a blast.

Michelle T