Menu

Do you love your local library?

About a year or so ago the library board voted to outsource management to a private corporation, I think it might be the same company that manages the library gardenschooler uses.

No, we're not in the suburbs that changed over to privatization. We live in the city proper, and I can add this to the list of reasons why we can never move to the suburbs.

I don't think I'd be happy with that, at all. What about ILL? Everyone that lives there now has to pay for a library card to use the *real* library system. I know a lot of people that are not happy at all with this, and are now paying for library cards.

I'm glad it's made an improvement for you, though!

What I love most is the friendly and knowledgable librarians, who know me by name, and who make all kinds of wonderful suggestions. Ours has good online services, and an amazing collection-they just have so many OOP books, all kinds of resources. ILL is user friendly and quick. I only have to be careful to observe returns being checked in, as I've twice had to pay for books that I think I did not lose (though of course given the numbers of books I take out, I may have lost them).

I *love* my local library.

the librarians are interested and engaged in their jobs. They love to see us come in the building. They will renew our books twice for 6 weeks while we wait.

My branch is within walking distance of an elem. and a middle school and get swarmed with students after school. Yet they deal with it with patience and grace.

They are so wonderful to us. I go online to select materials for the week (or month) and they come right to my branch. The folks there are a delight.

I was also able to get a teacher card so I can keep materials out for a whole month with a renewal available also. Even with the main library closed for renovation for some time, I have had no problems getting what I need.

Our local library is one small room in City Hall. I had to choose between the Parks and Rec board and the Library Board, and chose the P&R board cuz there are a couple issues that i needed to resolve ASAP. I do speak w/ gals on the Library Board too, but there are so many hurdles that our libarary faces it's not funny! i do utilize it for ILL, and i try to check out books anyway to keep their numbers up.

Thankfully, I personally have more books and resources than our local library :-) -literally. And mine are alll pertinent to our family, lol.

Now the library down in Waxahachie has one of THE BEST children's sections I have ever seen. I wish they allowed a longer check out of videos. If you are ever driving through Waxahachie TX, stop at the Sims library. Totally worth it!

We don't have a county one --if I want to utilize more libraries I have to join them $$$:eek:$$$!!! Gosh, i don't think we even HAVE a county library system !!

and it's wonderful!!!! In fact, she probably sees my huge lineup of holds every few weeks when she goes into the branch, LOL! :) I get to reserve and renew books online, and dh picks them up when he's in the area (my ultimate wish would be to have a branch in our neighbourhood). The librarians all know dh now, cuz he's the one that staggers out with bags of books :rolleyes:.

For another post I read here: wow, I can't believe there are city officers who wonder what the use of a library is, when so much info. is online.....we NEED libraries! It's much cozier to sit down with a nice book than at a computer desk. I'm very thankful for our library system here.

I really love my library. I can access their website from home and pick out books and they will gather them for me. It is great.

The library is not huge, as we live in a small town. BUT they are breaking ground on a new improved, larger library here in a few weeks. I AM THRILLED!!!:D

I like our library. It was renovated and added onto a couple of years ago and it is big and gorgeous. The librarians are very nice and have been there at least a decade, so I know them pretty well. Our library is part of a large interlibrary network, so I can order just about anything I want and pick it up a mile from home. I don't have to get out of the car to put books in the book drop any more, which is nice.

We can pay our fines online now, so that helps too -- it's not as embarrassing, especially since I vow each time as I pay that I will never be that late on returning zillions of books again.

I know what you mean. When we lived in the city, I could see our library from my kitchen window. I loved being within walking distance.

Oh, I think about it!! We have a fabulous library that I just love (2006 ALA Library of the Year). We're growing out of our house, and I'm really fighting moving out of the city because of the library 4 blocks away!!