Menu

SOTW 1/Pre History resources question (secular)

FairyMom

We have finished our regular curricula and are about to start our summer "school." We are going to do SOTW 1 along with music and other fun classes. I would like to do a pre-history study before SOTW 1. Mostly, I would like to focus more on human evolution, not ecology.

My girls are rising 1st and 3rd graders. Any suggestions on books, websites or complete curricula are greatly appreciated! :)

We are using Connect the Thoughts starter Pre-History 1 and 2. I don't love it (I feel like it is a little condescending and weird) , but it IS a gentle introduction and gets the kids thinking, which is the point. We are also watching "Walking with Dinosaurs" and "Walking with Cavemen".

We also liked:

Big Bang: A universe verse

Evolution Story

Dinosaur Encyclopedia

In the Beginning (creation stories)

(Kids are 4 and 6, we are starting SOTW 1 when we finish this unit)

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. It seems there are quite a few books out there to choose from. We watched a PBS documentary on early bipeds and both girls were fascinated. I knew I needed to go though a little pre-history before SOTW 1.

One activity I did with my kids was this history of the world on a roll of toilet paper. I used fabric, but later realized that a roll of register tape would have been an easier choice. I don't think any of us here can really comprehend it, but it did help give us some perspective.

One activity I did with my kids was this history of the world on a roll of toilet paper. I used fabric, but later realized that a roll of register tape would have been an easier choice. I don't think any of us here can really comprehend it, but it did help give us some perspective.

I'm going to try this. Thanx!

Thank you! :)

We have finished our regular curricula and are about to start our summer "school." We are going to do SOTW 1 along with music and other fun classes. I would like to do a pre-history study before SOTW 1. Mostly, I would like to focus more on human evolution, not ecology.

My girls are rising 1st and 3rd graders. Any suggestions on books, websites or complete curricula are greatly appreciated! :)

Walking with Cavemen (there are some various states of undress, including a woman with no shirt, but no penises.)

The First Dog.

The first chapters of Usborne

You Wouldn't Want To Be a Mammoth Hunter

and don't miss Maroo of the Winter Caves! (And while good not as great as Maroo is the one about the boy who painted caves).

Island of the Blue Dolphin is a primitive lifestyle. We loved the Tantoo Cardinal audiobook of it.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. It seems there are quite a few books out there to choose from. We watched a PBS documentary on early bipeds and both girls were fascinated. I knew I needed to go though a little pre-history before SOTW 1.

Name, please.

ohhh, this company might fit the bill for secular geography. Thanks.

I previously added the wrong link! Here's the correct one for World History I, Early Humans:

http://www.intellegounitstudies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8_16&products_id=10

I've used a few of their units and have been very happy with what you get for the price. There is still more the homeschooling parent has to do, it isn't necessarily open and go. But these units are way better than the typical lap book and full of good internet links, book suggestions, and activities.