Menu

skinny, challenging books

brownie

I need some recommendations for skinny, but harder books (e.g. 80 pages but written at a 4th grade level). DS7 has made a huge leap in reading this year and is at a 5th grade level, but seems intimidated by chapter books. Or perhaps he just wants to finish them in one sitting. On the other hand, I cannot carry home enough easy readers from the library to keep him happy for 1 week and we are running out of books in that section that interest him. He has taken to reading Garfield comics to occupy his time...not at the top of my list for good literature exactly :001_huh:

I recently got him to read all the CatWings books and George's Marvelous Medicine (Dahl). He's read the Enormous Crocodile(Dahl) as well. He enjoyed all of these tremendously and these books all have some pictures as well, which is perfect! Any thoughts on what to try next? I have taken to scanning the library shelves for the skinniest paperbacks I can find!

Brownie

Agreed with Mommyfaithe that Clyde Robert Bulla is great. My personal favorite is A Lion to Guard Us. I read this when I was younger and remember it well decades later.

Others

Magic Treehouse: lots of these and they are informative

Jean Fritz's American Revolution books: ds loved these

The Matchlock Gun

My Fathers Dragon

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain

I'd also suggest you read aloud together a longer chapter book. E.B. White is good; I enjoyed Farmer Boy with my ds when he was making the jump to bigger books. Once your son completes his first "big" book, he may realize it's not so intimidating.

The Whipping Boy, The Door in the Wall, The Chalkbox Kid, Sword in the Tree ( Anything by Clyde Robert Bulla is great for this age.)

:iagree: Clyde Robert Bulla got my oldest into chapter books. Check out SL's Grade 2 (second half) and Grade 3 readers. Those two sets contain a lot of good transition books.

Some other suggestions:

Alexander McCall Smith's Akimbo series (Africa)

A Grain of Rice by Helena Clare Pittman (China)

The 13 Clocks and The Wonderful O by James Thurber (fantastic, quirky fairy-tale-ish)

The Most Beautiful Place in the World by Ann Cameron (Guatemala)

One Day in the Alpine Tundra (and others in series) by Jean Craighead George (nature/outdoors)

Anything by Dick King-Smith

26 Fairmount Avenue (series) by Tomie DePaola (autobiography, growing up in 1940s)

All Alone by Claire Huchet Bishop (French Alps)

The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck (Japan)

Twenty and Ten by Claire Huchet Bishop (WWII)

The Little Riders by Margaretha Shemin (WWII)

The Apprentice by Pilar Molina Llorente (Renaissance Italy)

The Land I Lost and Water Buffalo Days by Huynh Quang Nhuong (growing up in Vietnam)

Edited by Heidi @ Mt Hope

The Ink Drinker and sequels

The Best Christmas Present Ever

The Hoboken Chicken Emergency

Arabel's Raven and sequels by Joan Aiken, plus collections of Aiken's short stories

The Wonderful O and The 13 Clocks by James Thurber

Sid Fleischman

Daniel Pinkwater

Odd and the Frost Giants

Some that I can think of:

Tornado

The Courage of Sarah Noble

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain

Balto and the Great Race

The Whipping boy

The Minstrel in the Tower

The Matchlock Gun

Phoebe the spy

The Apple and the Arrow

The Lighthouse family

McBroom's Wonderful One Acre Farm

Catwings

Dolphin Adventure

A Mouse Called Wolf

Babe

Water Horse

The Story of Thomas Alva Edison, Inventor

Hellen Keller (Davidson)

Squanto Friend of the Pilgrims

Louise Braille, the boy who invented books for the blind

The Sword in the tree

Stone Fox

A Lion to Guard us

Pioneer Cat

Hannah

Sarah Plain and Tall

Sarah Witcher's Story

Twenty and Ten

The Family under the bridge

The Door in the Wall

Any of the Burgess animal story books there are tons such as Reddy Fox.

Owls in the Family

The Littles

Flat Stanley

The Titanic Lost and Found

Tut's Mummy Lost and Found

Pompeii Buried Alive

Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares

These all very in difficulty but they are all fairly short chapter books. HTH:001_smile:

You always have the dreamiest recommendations ever...:001_wub:
Aw, thanks. :blushing:

The Pirates' Mixed-Up Voyage, also by Mahy, is just as delightful.

OK I'm going to have to print this thread to go to the library! There are many here I haven't heard of.

We read aloud Beverly Cleary together, taking turns, but he shows no interest in picking it up on his own yet. Brownie

Heart of Dakota has some nice lit lists we have used.

My reluctant oldest really took off with chapter books in the 5th grade. We had read the Great Brain series (8 books) aloud a few years earlier. I assigned him the first book and he just took off. I know they aren't short but each chapter is a story within itself.

He also really loved the Rick Riordan Lightening Thief series. Athough those were a bit longer, they captivated him.

I have seen a big jump in reading ability between 4th and 5th grade with my boys.

Good luck!