Menu

Project based learning

Has anyone done project based learning? What resources have you used to get started?

Not quite sure what you mean by "project based learning," but we do an intense 10 week science investigation every year that includes science (obviously), research, reading, writing, graphing, layout, and an oral presentation. I can tell you more about it if you are interested.

Ruth in NZ

Not quite sure what you mean by "project based learning," but we do an intense 10 week science investigation every year that includes science (obviously), research, reading, writing, graphing, layout, and an oral presentation. I can tell you more about it if you are interested.

Ruth in NZ

Not the op here but I would love to hear mre about this Ruth!

Has anyone done project based learning? What resources have you used to get started?

If you are a Christian.....Far Above Rubies and Blessed is the Man were outstanding resources for project based learning. Even if you are not a Christian...the resource is cheap enough that you could pick and choose projects.

Since our house fire we've done lots of project based learning. In fact, ds 12 is going to learn to grout tile this afternoon.;)

TeenPact- this is what I like about their programs, older kids have done some of the alumni events and they are excellent- Back to DC and ds 17 will do Judicial this summer.

Challenge- terrific program- and it's expanding into an internship program.

My older kids have all done internships- Romania Reborn, Above Rubies, and ds is considering an internship still being developed this summer.

We've done lots of campaiging- dd21 and ds17 have traveled quite a bit to campaign- this from thier contacts through TP and Leadership Institute (they were awarded scholarships through TP) and meet some campaign managers.

Creating a unit study is a great way to get started with this.

Ruth in NZ

Thank you! I would like that. :001_smile:

Sorry I didn't respond sooner - we were really busy this weekend with our co-ops year end used curriculum sale.

Thank you all. Yes,, I was thinking that unit studies were a way to get started. Now, which resource for that??

I'm still looking - there is some stuff online and on amazon:

This website is what got me thinking about project based learning: http://www.rfwp.com/pages/shelagh-gallagher/

And I found this website: http://pbl-online.org/pathway2.html

And on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Problem-Based-Learning-An-Inquiry-Approach/dp/141295004X/ref=pd_sim_b_4#_

I was hoping to get real life experiences and ideas from homeschoolers – which I have!!

Dc must be continually absorbed in at least one project. I don't formalize it, though, because that would defeat my purpose of teaching them to seek knowledge. I think PBL is a way to re-create in a school setting what can naturally occur in a home-based learning environment with an effective mentor modeling the process.

Current projects here include dd16 trying to design a way to incorporate the Kinect controller into her team's FIRST robot and an autonomous wheelchair project, and dd14 investigating unsolved mathematical questions.

We are not generally a "unit study" sort of family, so we have done project-based learning via contests.

My kids have entered creative writing and performance contests, science fairs, and history fair. Some of these have been local or in the homeschool group, and some have been affiliated with state or national competitions.

What I like about the contest approach is that there is a clear framework for what makes a "good" project, there is a specific deadline, and there is feedback from showing your work in the community. It's also (in my case) good practice for losing gracefully (we've never made it to a national or second-round competition). As in life, not everybody who works hard gets a prize. So, you should pick a topic you like and will enjoy learning about even if there is no award at the end.

Within that framework, the kids have the freedom to choose their own topic or area of interest, learn research and writing skills, create a product such as a display or speech, and (depending on the contest) do an interview with judge(s).

--Janet

JanetC has a great point. My daughters have entered writing, science, art, filmmaking, and invention contests for the reasons Janet describes: creating something unique and creative, learning to use tools and resources, interacting with other kids and adults, and learning to win--or more often--lose gracefully!

I like the concept of a unit study idea - and I like the idea of a total immersion in a project - and I like the idea of a contest to facilitate and drive the project or unit study - thanks everyone for their ideas

Now I just have to figure how were going to do this without me freaking out that we are not getting enough done.