Menu

Speaking of pancakes... what gluten-free flour to use?

I have a wheat allergy and I miss pancakes. I ate some the other day and they really affected me, ugh! So what type of gluten-free or wheat free flour is good for making pancakes?

I have soy flour, it's the only gluten-free flour at our store. I tried pancakes with that with horrible results.

Hodgson Mill has some available online but I'm not sure what to buy. Help!

They turn out great.

PM Dy to ask for her blend. It's a very good one.

Also, if you can have dairy, Pamela's bread and baking mix made good pancakes, if I remember correctly. (My kids can't have dairy, either, so it's been a long time since we had it.)

HIH,

Lisa

At my Kroger there's a mix called Pamela's Products Baking and Pancake Mix--it's wheat and gluten free, and is made of rice flours and almond meal.

http://www.pamelasproducts.com

It's lovely stuff, behaves just like pancakes (and if you've ever used rice flour, you know what I mean! :D) and they have recipes on the package for cookies and muffins and such.

I personally add some cinnamon to the mix before I make them because like most pancake mixes, they're a bit bland for my taste.

When I can't get to the store I grind rice in my Whispermill. Works perfectly, and pays for itself in no time.

If you're looking online, you might see if Namaste has a pancake mix. Their spice cake, white cake, and brownie mixes are a bit pricey but well worth it.

Here is a recipe for Carol's Gluten-Free Sorghum Flour Blend* that works really well as a flour replacement in pancakes or other baked goods. It doesn't taste exactly like the wheat versions you are used to, but it is very palatable and has a good texture.

Ingredients

1 1/2 c. sorghum flour

1 c. tapioca flour

1 1/2 c. potato starch or cornstarch

1/2 c. corn, almond, bean or chestnut flour

(NOTE: If you use nut flour, be sure to refrigerate to avoid going rancid. Otherwise, store in an dark, cool place.)

You can find these flours in a health food store or online at places like www.bobsredmill.com. They also have a load of allergy free products and recipes.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Lucinda

* From Gluten-Free 101: Easy, Basic Dishes Without Wheat by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.

Bob's Red Mill makes a fantastic Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour. It's a mix of garbanzo bean, potato starch, tapioca flour white flour, sorghum, and fava bean flours. I find myself muuuuuuuuuuch more likely to stick to my diet if I don't have to mix those all up myself. (which I have done with different flours.) I've purchased it at Safeway and various local health food stores I frequent. It makes really, really good waffles and I've used it in other bread products with good result. I also have grown fond of an Arrowhead Mills Wild Rice Pancake and Waffle Mix. The waffles are heavy and not my favorite, but it makes yummy pancakes. If you're really interested in how to combine flours on your own and making substitutions for different things (like dairy and egg) a good cookbook is Cooking Free by Carol Fenster. I hope you find something you like!!!

When ds was allergic to wheat we used to love Bob's Red Mill GF Pancake Mix until we found out they grind nuts on the same mill as their specialty products including gluten free. Ds is also allergic to nuts so I had to find another brand. We had the same concern with Pamela's products. We switched to

Arrowhead Mills Gluten-Free Pancake & Baking Mix

and it was the best we could use until ds "outgrew" his wheat allergy. We like it enough bu tI think we might have liked Bob's Red Mill better except we couldn't risk a reaction to nuts.

I think we used coconut milk instead of water but experiment to find the right amount. I think I remember not following the recipe on the package since it did not turn out as well.

Bob's Red Mill makes a fantastic Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour. It's a mix of garbanzo bean, potato starch, tapioca flour white flour, sorghum, and fava bean flours. I find myself muuuuuuuuuuch more likely to stick to my diet if I don't have to mix those all up myself. (which I have done with different flours.) I've purchased it at Safeway and various local health food stores I frequent. It makes really, really good waffles and I've used it in other bread products with good result. I also have grown fond of an Arrowhead Mills Wild Rice Pancake and Waffle Mix. The waffles are heavy and not my favorite, but it makes yummy pancakes. If you're really interested in how to combine flours on your own and making substitutions for different things (like dairy and egg) a good cookbook is Cooking Free by Carol Fenster. I hope you find something you like!!!

The mix is great and can be replaced for the blend recipe I gave you in all of Carol Fenster's wheat free recipes.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Dh makes a great gluten-free buckwheat pancake for our kids. Johnny cakes (corn) are also yummy if you're not allergic to corn.

Sorghum flour is a lot of wheat in texture. I use it a lot in baking. I usually mix it with something else, brown rice flour, etc.

Lots of recipes online and in gluten-free magazines and cookbooks.