Menu

Please Help Me Pick a Graphing Calculator

I am currently working through Saxon Algebra 2 with the plan of starting Saxon Advanced Mathematics sometime around September and I saw mentioned on one of the past threads that a graphing calculator was required.

I have looked at a couple of calculators on Amazon and read through the threads that came up for search, and I have narrowed down my list to either TI-84 Plus, TI-83 Plus, or Casio (FX-9750GII-WE).

TI-84 Plus or TI-83 Plus

Both of them are a bit expensive, but they seem more widespread in regards to getting teacher assistance (I plan on taking statistics and algebra-based physics in fall of 2013). They also have corresponding For Dummies books.

My major concern is whether either would be too complicated to work even with the book guide without a constant math teacher nearby (my brief encounter with a TI calculator in public school was like this).

Casio (FX-9750GII-WE)

I'll admit the main reasons I am considering getting this one is 1) it's nearly half the price of the two above and 2) it's regularly mentioned as being easier or more intuitive...BUT it doesn't appear to have an equivalent guide like For Dummies and I worry that that would make it as difficult as the TIs are without a guide.

Just hoping that someone could help me pick from one of these. :)

We were recently discussing graphing calculators because DS was trying to get the 4H club to buy them as raffle prizes. He didn't manage to convince them.

From my 15 yo son who uses the TI 83 plus (we didn't know there was a guide book for it) but has never used the Casio:

This calculator, my first graphing calculator, took a while to get used to. At first I was frustrated and simple things. For example, finding the negative sign button was surprisingly time consuming. Most features I use I have figured out on my own now, but I have had some help from an engineering teacher in a public school engineering class. The teacher is familiar with the TI and it is the recommended graphing calc at the school. Most other students have the TI. There are still a lot of buttons on the calculator that I do not know how to use, but haven't needed yet.

My favorite graphing device is an iPad app though. With that you can scroll across the screen and the colorful display makes it easy to understand.

Helps for the Casio (which is what we went with):

http://www.casioeducation.com/resource/pdfs/graphing_activities.pdf

Actually quite helpful. Shows a comparison of how to do things on the Casio vs. the TI.

http://www.staples.com/Casio-FX-9750GII-Graphing-Calculator/product_510052

Scroll down and click on "View Product Tour".

Click on "Training Videos" at the top of the popup box.

A list of the training videos will be right below the tab where you clicked on Training Videos. Watch them in order from left to right.

Between these two websites, you should be able to get far enough to be able to do just about anything.

We've had good luck with TI83 or 84 calculators off Ebay - often $20 to $30. For me this is a great Ebay item. Tons of students get them and use them (or barely use them) for a year or two and they just want to get whatever cash they can get out of them. There is always Ebay protection if for some reason the calculator doesn't work or isn't as described, but we've not had that problem.

As another poster said, many students buy graphing calculators to get through high school math, then don't need them any more. I have seen several at pawn shops for really good prices. Of course, you would want to check to see that it works, but I wouldn't think you'd need to put it through its paces. It doesn't seem likely that some functions would work but not others. If the basic functions work and the display is clear, it's probably good to go.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the replies on this thread. I was curious what folks would recommend. Ds14 will be starting TT Alg. 2 v.2.0 this school year.

The folks at TT recommended the TI-83, but I decided to go with the TI-83 plus from reading reviews on Amazon and the recommendations here.

I'd go with the TI84 - it's a standard in many college math classes for a reason, and it will be useful all the way through (and likely beyond) Calculus. I have both the 89 and the 84, but I use the 84 most of the time because the 89 isn't permitted a lot of times because of its CAS (computer algebra system) capabilities - in other words, it could let you do the work without actually learning anything.

I will be handing the TI84 to my son when it's time, or buying him a new one if I'm just not willing to let mine go. :)

Thanks for the replies on this thread. I was curious what folks would recommend. Ds14 will be starting TT Alg. 2 v.2.0 this school year.

The folks at TT recommended the TI-83, but I decided to go with the TI-83 plus from reading reviews on Amazon and the recommendations here.

Is a graphing calculator needed for TT Algebra 2? I saw on their website that one is needed for pre calculus but didn't see a note on algebra 2. ???

The TI84 will not do calculus, but you don't want it to. It's a tool, not a instant answer machine. This is why none of the colleges near me (and there are close to 2 dozen) permit anything higher than the TI84 for calculus classes. If the student understands the concepts a calculator that can do the symbolic manipulations isn't necessary, and if they don't understand the concepts a calculator like that won't force them to learn either.

I consider the TI89 and similar calculators to be useful only after a student has mastered basic calculus - otherwise it's just a crutch and can hamper the student's development.

Look at it this way, would you give a regular calulator to a student that has not yet mastered basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division? Of course not, because with a calculator to do that for them they have no incentive to keep working on those skills until they've mastered them. However, after they've mastered those skills, the calculator becomes a valuable tool to speed up calculations and check for the kind of stupid mistakes we all make once in a while.

Is a graphing calculator needed for TT Algebra 2? I saw on their website that one is needed for pre calculus but didn't see a note on algebra 2. ???
I called them to ask if a graphing calculator was needed for Algebra 2 v.2.0 and if so, what brand? (The staff member put me on hold and when she came back on she said TI-83.)

I decided to call because on the last lesson of Algebra 1 v.2.0, a graphing calculator is needed to do that lesson. My son didn't have one and although I had already put in my order for Algebra 2 v.2.0 I did not recall seeing anything on the site that said a graphing calculator was needed for this level.

The cable isn't anything special - it's a standard cable you can pick up anywhere. I don't think I've ever used the ones that actually came with the calculators - they're probably still in in the box.
Oh, dear. :001_huh: What is this about a cable now? I feel like I'm in the middle of a Math-money-pit (expensive curriculum, expensive calculator, and now a cable?). Please enlighten me as to why a cable would be needed or wanted? :bigear:

The cable lets you connect the calculator to the computer - useful for updates and a number of other things. I use mine regularly, but I suspect most people will only use it a couple times.

It's just a USB cable - nothing special. The hardest part (and I say this very tongue-in-cheek) is making sure you buy one with the right connector at the calculator end. Bring the calculator to the store with you if you're not sure, but chances are most of us already have the right cable because a lot of cell phones use the same connector (except mine, naturally).

The cable lets you connect the calculator to the computer - useful for updates and a number of other things. I use mine regularly, but I suspect most people will only use it a couple times.

It's just a USB cable - nothing special. The hardest part (and I say this very tongue-in-cheek) is making sure you buy one with the right connector at the calculator end. Bring the calculator to the store with you if you're not sure, but chances are most of us already have the right cable because a lot of cell phones use the same connector (except mine, naturally).

:lol::lol::lol: Ha, ha! Yeah, I would have such luck as well.

Thank you so much for the information! :D

I'll just say that we have the TI 84+ Silver and the TI CAS with touchpad and my son prefers the 84+ Silver....The CAS is hard to learn though it has many more options...One thing he didn't like about it is that the keys are so small - for a guy with big fingers it can be difficult...

I like the CAS because it is like a little computer screen and so the fonts are much more friendly. But there are so many aspects that are different from older calculators that I would probably use it for at least a full year before taking an AP exam with it for example...(We got it only a few months before the AP which made it not really good to use).

Just discussing in case anyone else runs into these options...

Joan

If you don't want or have the money to spend on an actual graphing calculator at this time, there is a virtual option available that you can download to your computer. I found this local teacher's site with the instructions for downloading the virtual calculator.

http://www.waynecountyschools.org/Page/13297

Below is the pdf she is referencing.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CFsQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fclassroom.ldisd.net%2Fwebs%2FKHARGIS%2Fupload%2Fonline_calculator.pdf&ei=FMYnUL3eDoOo8gTBqoHQCg&usg=AFQjCNGjHIwpHd83VOU7kniMqfzLMC3TTw

Dumb question: HOW do you update the calculator? We have a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition (bought it new about 6 or 7 years ago, I think, for about $120), and it came with a cable, but I've never updated it because it seemed like too much trouble to use the CD to look up how to do it. :tongue_smilie:

I do wish that the TI-84 Plus came with a manual in book form like the TI-83 does/did. I found one of the TI-83 manuals at a thrift store for 39 cents, and although there were some keystroke combinations that were different between the TI-83 & the TI-84 Plus (I can't remember now what they were), it helped a lot.

Edited by ereks mom

One other thing to consider - check the calculators allowed for the SAT and ACT. Each test allows some and not others. I would choose one that you know will be allowed on both tests if you aren't sure which one your child will be taking. It is to their advantage to take the SAT or ACT with a calculator that they have been using all along.

One other thing to consider - check the calculators allowed for the SAT and ACT. Each test allows some and not others. I would choose one that you know will be allowed on both tests if you aren't sure which one your child will be taking. It is to their advantage to take the SAT or ACT with a calculator that they have been using all along.

Good advice. My kids used the TI-84 Plus on the SAT and the ACT, so it's allowed, as is the TI-83. I don't know about any others.

Good advice. My kids used the TI-84 Plus on the SAT and the ACT, so it's allowed, as is the TI-83. I don't know about any others.

Good thoughts here. Thank you.

Here's what I found: Calculators that are NOT Allowed

Dumb question: HOW do you update the calculator? We have a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition (bought it new about 6 or 7 years ago, I think, for about $120), and it came with a cable, but I've never updated it because it seemed like too much trouble to use the CD to look up how to do it. :tongue_smilie:

I do wish that the TI-84 Plus came with a manual in book form like the TI-83 does/did. I found one of the TI-83 manuals at a thrift store for 39 cents, and although there were some keystroke combinations that were different between the TI-83 & the TI-84 Plus (I can't remember now what they were), it helped a lot.

Go to the TI website and you can download the software needed to update the calculator. There should be instructions there.