Menu

Hunger Games: Publishing trends question

The publication of Hunger Games books has me confused. Is this a new trend? Is it just weird? Are they pushing the digital and trying to let go of print copies or what?

They have hardback, regular paperback for book 1 and only large print paperback for books 2 and 3. Why? I'm used to the sequence of hardback, followed by paperback a few months later. I did get the Mockingjay large print and it was great for my eyes, why are there no traditional paperback size for the other two books?

Some books have been published in hardback only format for years. I don't think that's new. I remember finding it odd that A Series of Unfortunate Events could only be found in hardback. Same with the Magic Treehouse Merlin Missions. That was quite a few years ago and before the proliferation of ereaders.

Some books have been published in hardback only format for years. I don't think that's new. I remember finding it odd that A Series of Unfortunate Events could only be found in hardback. Same with the Magic Treehouse Merlin Missions. That was quite a few years ago and before the proliferation of ereaders.

Yeah, but why go with the large print paperbacks?

We have the entire trilogy and they are all the same size (none of them large-print). Maybe the movie has meant they are all sold out where you were looking? I read both 2 and 3 not long after they were released as books - long before a movie was talked about.

We have the entire trilogy and they are all the same size (none of them large-print). Maybe the movie has meant they are all sold out where you were looking? I read both 2 and 3 not long after they were released as books - long before a movie was talked about.

In paperback?

I couldn't find the last 2 in paperback either, and had to buy the 3 pack hardcover trilogy in a slipcovered case. My daughter was in the 100's on the library waiting list. She wants to sell them though. We enjoyed reading them to know what everyone is talking about, but they weren't "keepers"...

The paperbacks for 2 and 3 are large print, not regular paperback. Here's the Amazon link for Mockingjay http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0439023513/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=00R9Y9RW3SFVHD1AWTNQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Catching Fire. http://www.amazon.com/Catching-Fire-Hunger-Games-Book/dp/0439023491/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

It's like they covered every publishing type but standard paperback. I looked at every online outlet and no standard paperbacks.

I have continuity issues when it comes to series, too. :) If I buy one in hardback (or paperback) they all need to be that way.

The only place I have seen books 2 and 3 in trade paperback size is through Scholastic's book club flyers. I think they're around $7-10 each?

I have continuity issues when it comes to series, too. :) If I buy one in hardback (or paperback) they all need to be that way.

The only place I have seen books 2 and 3 in trade paperback size is through Scholastic's book club flyers. I think they're around $7-10 each?

Ahh, maybe that's it. Would Scholastic hold an exclusive to market the paperbacks? We don't get their flyers, so I had not seen them.

On their websites they only show hardbacks for books 2 and 3. http://www.scholastic.com/parents/search?q=hunger+games&s_submit.x=0&s_submit.y=0&content_type%5B1%5D=1&fq=&start=0

Ahh, maybe that's it. Would Scholastic hold an exclusive to market the paperbacks? We don't get their flyers, so I had not seen them.

On their websites they only show hardbacks for books 2 and 3. http://www.scholastic.com/parents/search?q=hunger+games&s_submit.x=0&s_submit.y=0&content_type%5B1%5D=1&fq=&start=0

I don't know if it's the case for Hunger Games, but Scholastic does hold exclusive rights to publish certain paperbacks. The Pinkalicious books and the Wimpy Kid books come to mind... you cannot buy those in paperback in a bookstore.

Yeah, but why go with the large print paperbacks?

Large-Print (LP) publications are a completely separate publication stream. They have nothing to do with the original publication or subsequent mass-market (MM) paperbacks, if indeed that follows. They are usually published by a different publisher than the original. Most LP are oversized PBs because that is cheaper than hard-back (HB) to produce and the LP market is rather small comparatively. Random House has it's own LP publishing wing, but many are produced by third party LP publishing houses.

Many, if not most, juvenile publications only come out in one format. Hunger Games is a juvenile publication -- i.e. marketed to youth and catalogued as juvenile in libraries. Even many general market publications are not being published in both HB and MM formats anymore. It seems the trend is to only put out the most popular general authors in both HB and MM. Some authors might only get a MM publication run -- typical with series books like mysteries and romance -- some authors may only get a one-shot HB run.

I don't know if it's the case for Hunger Games, but Scholastic does hold exclusive rights to publish certain paperbacks. The Pinkalicious books and the Wimpy Kid books come to mind... you cannot buy those in paperback in a bookstore.

Same for Harry Potter books. Actually, though, I bought WK books at Target in paperback. Scholastic is the exclusive publisher, but you can buy the books most places.

If you click on the "plus sign" next to paperback, large print, you actually get 3 choices.

One is the paperback, large print. The other two are just paperback. The large print one is published by Large Print Press. The 2010 and 2011 paperback versions are done by Scholastic.

If you click on the "plus sign" next to paperback, large print, you actually get 3 choices.

One is the paperback, large print. The other two are just paperback. The large print one is published by Large Print Press. The 2010 and 2011 paperback versions are done by Scholastic.

Yeah but they are not for sale on Amazon right now.

Ahh. I wonder if they're going to come out with movie tie-in covers? Assuming the other two movies get made with any speed.

Catching Fire is, and always was, set for release in November 2013. It was always the plan to film this fall. Not very speedy, but also no different from what they were saying before Hunger Games was released. Who knows how fast the two (yes, they plan to split it) Mockingjay movies will be made/come out.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/catching-fire-suzanne-collins/1100296850 This one is not listed as large print, and there is another that shows as large print.

I think what is happening is alot of publishers are going for those larger sized paperbacks instead of the mass market normal sized paperbacks these days. Not sure why. It drives me nuts too.