Menu

Quick! Help me think this through - Algebra 1

I would like to pick a program for Algebra I next year that includes a video lecture. I've had my daughter listen to most of what is available. She disliked many voices (so did I) but she liked Thinkwell. She also thought the Derek Owens video was ok.

Thinkwell Pros

- My daughter likes the format of the lectures the most.

- It is half-price tomorrow so the entire year would be approx. $65

Thinkwell Cons

- I've seen several people state that it is more a supplement than a core.

- I signed up for the free trial. The layout is a little clunky. Not sure that there are enough practice problems.

Derek Owens Pros

- It uses the Dolciani text that I already own (and was planning on teaching myself but would rather be a supplemental role)

- I really like the focus on taking notes during the lecture. This seems to be an important skill to focus on.

-It appears that it would be a "deeper" class and I like the option of it being "Honors".

Derek Owens Cons

- MUCH more expensive

- Lectures are more low-tech... will my daughter stay focused? Maybe the taking of notes would ensure that?

So, tell me more.... Who has used these? Experiences? Things I'm missing? I'd like to make the decision within 24 hours so that if I decide to go with thinkwell - I get in on the group discount. Thanks!

I'm going to offer a response that might not be helpful... but I'll offer it anyway. :001_smile:

Based SOLELY off of your pro/con list (and not off of any personal experience), it looks as though Derek Owens might be a better fit. I haven't used either program. Just looking at your list.

Hopefully someone who's used the programs will swing by.

Well, we went with Thinkwell and I consider it the biggest curriculum mistake I've ever made. :(

Professor Burger is great...no doubt about it. But the practice sets are ridiculous. There isn't enough practice for a kid who needs it and the problems sometimes don't adequately reflect what's in the lesson. A child can go through several lessons without ever putting pencil to paper and that is not how math should be at this level.

I think the Derek Owens option sounds great.

Another option (if your child likes Prof Burger like mind does): Houghton Mifflin's Math Fuse is a textbook on the ipad. The text is just like a traditional book but on the ipad. It was written by Burger and the video links are similar or the same as the Thinkwell videos. It is very reasonably priced (especially if you already have an ipad). You can download large sections of it to try it out.

http://www.hmheducation.com/fuse/algebra1/algebra-1-app-overview.php

Another option (if your child likes Prof Burger like mind does): Houghton Mifflin's Math Fuse is a textbook on the ipad. The text is just like a traditional book but on the ipad. It was written by Burger and the video links are similar or the same as the Thinkwell videos. It is very reasonably priced (especially if you already have an ipad). You can download large sections of it to try it out.

Wow, this looks fantastic! We do not have an ipad but it am open to the possibility;) Can you give me a ball park price for the math? I can't seem to find that. Thanks!

Dr Burger is the math video person for Holt like Dr Mosley is for Larson.

Both of these men get to sell the videos under their own label as well-- Burger under "Thinkwell" and Mosely under "Chalkdust".

Dr Burger is the main author of the current Holt high school series. The videos go with the text-- and if you have a student text you have FREE online access to the videos as well as online practice and homework helps. Note-- some of the basic Algebra videos from the Holt side were recorded by another one of the authors (a woman).

Thank you. That would be an outstanding deal if I already owned an ipad. Wow!

I think I'm going to end up going with Derek Owens. We used a Dolciani / AoPS blend this year and really ended up loving the Dociani text. Continuing in that vein seems wise. The price-tag of Thinkwell is alluring but I'd be extremely upset if it didn't work out.

Thanks guys!

I think someone mentioned Derek Owens has a less expensive option than that listed on his website if you don't need him to grade the homework and tests. Might be worth asking about if you haven't already investigated this.

• 2 months later...
I think someone mentioned Derek Owens has a less expensive option than that listed on his website if you don't need him to grade the homework and tests. Might be worth asking about if you haven't already investigated this.

Thanks for this information 3andme!

I just emailed Derek Owens about this and in fact he does offer a discounted version if you do all the grading yourself. He also mentioned he is setting something up for this purpose on his Lucid site which is still in the works. However he already offers Pre-Algebra from there which I am seriously considering as we finish up with MUS.

http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=Prealgebra.php

Edited by dereksurfs

Well, we went with Thinkwell and I consider it the biggest curriculum mistake I've ever made. :(

Professor Burger is great...no doubt about it. But the practice sets are ridiculous. There isn't enough practice for a kid who needs it and the problems sometimes don't adequately reflect what's in the lesson. A child can go through several lessons without ever putting pencil to paper and that is not how math should be at this level.

I think the Derek Owens option sounds great.

I have seen this, and was just dying for someone to mention it here :). It looks like it could be a good fit for one of my dc; I just want to hear it is worthwhile!

Thank you again to all.

We did end up going with Derek Owens and are 3 weeks in. He has graded our materials so far but we are only getting a grade... not which ones she missed. Maybe I'm missing something????

If he doesn't provide that information, then I think I'll contact him about grading it all myself. I need that information in order to know which problems are tripping her up.

(I did look at Kinetic books but prefer having some part of the math on paper. We actually used Kinetic books pre-algebra but I didn't feel it was successful enough to move onto Algebra. We redid pre-algebra this year using AoPS (but with me teaching/leading rather than just on her own). That was successful but I need something else this year b/c we have a lot of personal issues to tackle within the 12 months. Trying not to overfill my plate....

Thank you again to all.

We did end up going with Derek Owens and are 3 weeks in. He has graded our materials so far but we are only getting a grade... not which ones she missed. Maybe I'm missing something????

If he doesn't provide that information, then I think I'll contact him about grading it all myself. I need that information in order to know which problems are tripping her up.

(I did look at Kinetic books but prefer having some part of the math on paper. We actually used Kinetic books pre-algebra but I didn't feel it was successful enough to move onto Algebra. We redid pre-algebra this year using AoPS (but with me teaching/leading rather than just on her own). That was successful but I need something else this year b/c we have a lot of personal issues to tackle within the 12 months. Trying not to overfill my plate....

Thanks for the update Kris!

You brought up a good question and interesting point. For me, I not only like to have *all* the answers, but know what our kids got wrong. I think that is an important part of the learning process, especially if one is aiming for mastery vs. simply passing.

I've typically only heard good things about KineticBooks. So I don't mind hearing some of the cons as I am considering it as well. With KB there is no solutions manual and only the answers to every other problem on their tests. So I also see that as a con. Though it does seem to have a great appeal in terms of its presentation. And it is also known to be on the more rigorous side which is good. While AoPS sounds great for some I really don't think it would be the best fit for my wife who not a mathy person or my son. I don't think the discovery approach would best suit his learning style.

Edited by dereksurfs