Menu

Phones & tech stuff when traveling internationally...

If you travel internationally (I'm specifically thinking of Europe, but feel free to chime in if you go elsewhere), how do you manage tech "stuff"? The last time we were in Switzerland, our cell phone from home that was supposed to work internationally died and couldn't be recharged. This is a real problem for us, as Hans needs to be accessible should problems arise back here on the farm.

I also had issues with my camera on our last trip. My electrical converter didn't like my battery recharger. This time around, I have teens who want to bring their iPhones. I am so-o-o-o not tech savvy (don't even own a cell phone myself) and my mind is boggled, reading dozens of posts about this stuff on the Rick Steves' site.

Can anyone talk "International Travels & Tech Stuff for Dummies" to me? Pretty please? Thanks!

When Dh was on his trip to China (Taiwan, Philippines, Hong Kong) last year I made a call to our cell provider and they set us up with the service we would need for that month and told us what kind of converter would work with the charger. Maybe that would work for you.

Camera chargers? I have no idea.

Amber in SJ

Just wanted to say "hi!" My time here is not frequent, but here I am and there you are!

Hope all is well with those boys of yours. I don't know about you, but life with teen boys is odiferous at best (grin).

We are busy, busy, busy. 5 of our kids are in a private Catholic school. We did have 7 in the school, but when they told me my kindergartner was behind in reading, that was it. We pulled 2 of the little guys out and I am back at it again with homeschooling.

I couldn't resist saying "hi!"

Blessings,

Camy

Hi Colleen!

My DH is a tech guy and he travels overseas quite often. He recommends the following websites to help explain what you need and where to find it:

http://goeurope.about.com/cs/electricity/l/bl_electricity.htm

http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/electric.htm

HTH :001_smile:

Beth

Thanks for this info. Our son will be in Germany this summer, and we've been trying to work out the phone issue.

I can't help you with the charger issue. On our recent trip to Florence and the Netherlands we charged cell phone, iPod, and laptop with the usual chargers and a universal plug adaptor.

But finding a phone that would work in Europe was a bit more complex. I would start by talking to your cell phone provider. AT&T was able to tell me which frequencies/networks were used where I was going so I could buy a phone that would work. (In fact, they showed me what to look for so I could buy it myself off Amazon.) They also needed to activate an international calling plan for the time we were gone.

• 2 weeks later...
On our recent trip to Florence and the Netherlands we charged cell phone, iPod, and laptop with the usual chargers and a universal plug adaptor.

:iagree: Most everything we took with us adapts from 110 to 220 (it will say on it in very fine print.) It also has to adapt from 50-60 Herz (it will say this too.)

For example, my iphone adapter says:

Input: 110-240 V~0.45A 50-60Hz Output: 5.1V 2.1 A

You will need the different shaped plug and these are hard to find in Europe (outside of military bases) so bring them from home.

For cell phones, it depends on your phone and your carrier. Some allow you to change the SIM card to a local carrier and will then work just fine. The newest ipad does this too, but old ones will only do it with a jailbreak.

The cheapest option is often to buy a prepaid, no bells and whistles, phone for the country you are in.

At&T does have roaming with some European carriers (for an exorbitant fee) so if you bring your iphone to use as an ipod be sure to leave the airplane mode on.

Most newer electronics are dual voltage and just require the right plug converter. We've not had any issues with charging electronics while traveling. If in a local hotel, we also ask for voltage adaptors, those usually have more than one outlet. (number of usable outlets has been our biggest problem)

We've traveled to the US a couple times with our Japanese iPhones and we just use them with WI-fi for checking e-mail and such--I take the sim cards out to make sure of no scary charges. The phone companies here offer international plans and even temporary ones for travel. I'd check with your service provider.

Have fun!