Menu

Keystone, American School, others ... what to do? what to do?

I really dislike having to make a choice. We've used a very eclectic approach so far and have liked that just fine. Dh feels, and I tend to agree, that in order to get accepted into college, our dc need to have an accredited high school diploma. I know that this is not always the case, but surely having an accredited diploma would make things slightly easier? Considering where we live, we have never had them tested or had anyone to be accountable to. We don't have a portfolio to speak of. So we feel that accreditation may be useful in their situation.

If anyone has experience with Keystone, American School, or other programs (Oak Meadow, Clonlara), etc., please share. I would love to hear from you. We're more interested in secular.

* We would like something that is fairy flexible.

* Most importantly, we would like something that is accepted by most colleges and universities.

* I'm a bit scared of anything that's excessively challenging :tongue_smilie:. Dh feels that that's not a good attitude to have. :lol:

Thank you all so very much.

Hello,

We have been using Keystone for ds (now 17 and a rising Senior) in hopes of getting an accredited diploma IF there are problems with certain colleges on ds' wish list. Most colleges don't seem all that concerned with the diploma, given a portfolio and/or verifiable grades and/or OK test results, but a few seem to be picky...see the discussions on U. Pitt. elsewhere on these boards. We plan to apply as homeschoolers EXCEPT if we end up with troubles from some particular college.

The Keystone courses have recently been updated, and ds is still working on the old versions. Thus, I'm not 100% sure of what the latest revisions look like. The old courses needed updating, as not all the textbook layout lined up with the online course materials and some of the tests had issues (multiple correct keys and so forth). Keystone is offering typical high school courses with typical high school content problems (in my opinion): too much focus on lots of little bits of data with not much of a big picture. This isn't Keystone's fault; the textbooks and state standards have been set up that way. I guess that's why we homeschool!

We have enriched ds' program with courses (with far better "big picture" focus) from Lukeion and Scholars Online, for which Keystone has thus far given transcript credit. These account for about half of ds' credit load and probably three-quarters of his workload.

Thank you all so much.

We have been using Keystone for ds

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply. :)

Few quick questions if you have the time:

* Would you say that your ds is advanced or a very good student? I have heard that Keystone is not suitable for the more average student or those with learning disabilities.

* Do you need to devote a great deal of time teaching? In other words, is it very time-consuming and challenging to teach?

Some other choices-

University of Missouri (http://www.muhigh.missouri.edu)

Indiana University (http://iuhighschool.iu.edu/)

My son has taken classes for 5th/6th grade from University of Missouri and we will most likely take classes through high school. They are secular and accredited.

Thank you so much for these links? Do you mind, if you have the time, answering the same two questions from above - that is:

* Would you say that your ds is advanced or a very good student?

* Do you need to devote a great deal of time teaching? In other words, is it very time-consuming and challenging to teach?

• 4 weeks later...

Keystone has been at an appropriate level for math and science for our ds, who is an average or just above math student...usually 50th to 75th percentile range on the bubble tests (variable, as he is not a good test taker). DS does not have learning disabilities as such, he just doesn't get math quickly. He does well on the Keystone courses, as there is plenty of review and practice time.

However, his language skills are far better, 75th to 90th precentile (again, variable due to test anxieties). For language, literature and history courses we have gone with Lukeion and Scholars Online, as their classes are taught at a far higher level of sophisticstion than Keystone.

I do not put a lot of time into teaching ds, and mostly ask that he show me the test corrections that come back to be sure he understands whatever he might have missed. The teachers have been very good about answering his questions, too.

Keystone could be a disaster for a dc with serious planning or motivation issues. Keystone has started to offer a "plus" option, which seems to address this with scheduled teacher contact times for those for whom some more structure would be helpful but who do not want to go to a fully scheduled class format like K12.

Apologies for the late response to the original question....

Hi, did you see the thread I posted recently about visiting the American School booth at convention?

Cost is an issue for our family and American School is much more affordable, so it would be our choice. It is our "Plan B" for now. I am going to try the eclectic approach first . If I decide a correspondence school is needed, I will go with American School.

I've been researching this as well, as DS 14 will be entering 9th grade in the fall. I love the idea of Clonlara, but it seems expensive for what you get. We've decided we will most likely go with American School. I like the affordability, that they do the grading, and that we can choose to do a full enrollment or just classes to supplement. But I'll be watching this thread closely to see what others have to say!

My 25 year old graduated from American School. It was the perfect solution for him. My 24 year old started with American School, but I was pressured into doing something "better" with him, and pulled him out. I consider it one of my biggest homeschooling mistakes. He ended out having to take the GED to be able to start at our local C.C. as an underage freshman with FAFSA grants.

I'm too tired tonight to sing all the praises of American School, but it is an important resource for some families, especially for low-income students and other special situations.

American School is an underutilized resource, in my opinion. There are many situations where I would NOT recommend American School, but there are so many more where I would.

When you have time can you give specifics? :)

Parents who are wealthy and have access to resources that middle and lower income people do not have access to. A driven child with a LONGstanding passion for a certain subject, that has shown a HISTORY of self-educating himself. An extremely accelerated child that is not emotionally mature enough to start early.

There is NO such thing as a one size fits all curriculum. American School is based off of a quality Public School model, and is meant to be flexible enough for MOST students. It is the most flexible diploma program I know of, but...there will be rare students that would find it difficult to make it fit.

I don't know recent statistics, but when my boys were using it, this was still the most used curriculum for child athletes and actors and such, who were looking for something COMPARABLE to what was "normal". They spent a few hours a day doing "school" and then went on with their passions and work.

This is an underutilized and extremely flexible and surprisingly affordable curriculum, but not the answer for ALL homeschoolers.

Well, I found myself in your position this time last year, which is why I ended up choosing a few courses for my ds from several different programs, in order to try them out and make a comparison. I'll do my best to give my impressions of each.

American School - Definitely the most affordable, and considering the difference in price, really not that different from Keystone's equivalent courses. I did have to do some research to find out exactly how their program works, though. The incredibly low price they list for a full 4 years of high school pays for the minimum required courses to receive a diploma: 4 credits and 1 elective per year. The receive that deal, you have to enroll in their diploma program. You automatically receive the courses, in a pre-determined order, usually 2 at a time. When your dc is close to finishing a course, the next one is mailed out to you. If he wants to study more than 2 classes at a time, you can request that they send more, but you must have paid up enough of his tuition to cover the cost of those materials. If you would rather pick and choose the courses and the order in which they are received, you can (called the "Special" or "Individual Courses" program), but then you are paying for individual courses, not the "bulk rate" of the diploma program. As an example, English costs $120 per semester, Psychology is $140 per year, World Geography $190 per year, Geometry $230 per year and French $250 per year. They offer a few online courses as part of a pilot program, which I believe are $250 per year. (UPDATE:  They have added a great number of online courses.  They are completely self-contained, no textbook.  The extension policy is much less generous than for American School's own courses, but it has really expanded their offerings). It is a still a very affordable program, but the contrast is less stark if you want to customize.

I have actually been the most impressed with American School's feedback out of all the programs we've used. Part of that could be due to it being a "snail mail" program, which lends itself to comments in the margins more so than online programs. (UPDATE: AS now offers online exams for most of their paper courses.  The course materials are the same, but the student can choose to complete the same identical exams online instead of filling them out by hand and mailing them in.  The multiple choice portion is graded immediately.  The short answer/essay portion is graded within 72 hours, but very often the same day.  There is a section for comments for each written question, so the same level of commentary is given as on the paper exams.) At the same time, it isn't very practical to ask a question of the teachers, etc. There is no one teacher assigned to the class; whoever is available when your dc's test arrives in the mail does the correcting, so there isn't consistency in that regard. It is really set up for the student to read the book and take the test. (UPDATE:  The student is now able to call AS Student Services, tell them they have a question about their coursework, and they will be transferred to the correct department. From there, they will be connected directly to a teacher for their class, if available.  If not, the teacher will call them back, usually the same day.  My son has received excellent timely support from his AS teachers this way.)  I have been pleased with the materials, they are not super challenging but aren't dumbed down either. Basic PS level. Great for "getting it done" so your dc can move on to what they would more enjoy doing. 

Keystone - More of a "college prep" program, they offer a much wider variety and selection of courses. I like that they combine online with textbook learning, so the student isn't spending all day looking at the screen. The online portion is mainly an introduction to each chapter (pre-reading activities), they post-reading self quizzes and tests for grading. Being able to complete the test online, especially typing out the essay question answers rather than writing them by hand, then hitting send and receiving a grade within 72 are the major selling points for us. (UPDATE: AS now offers the same option with online exams). Each course does have a specific teacher, and although the course can be completed without any student-teacher interaction, they are available by phone and email for any questions (response within 24 hours). They also offer Honors and AP classes, which is a nice benefit for some students. At $399 per course, it is still a good value and offers a few perks that Am. Schl. doesn't.

Oak Meadow - Out of the 3, OM is by far the best program for a student who thinks "outside the box", who wants their high school coursework to be meaningful, thought-provoking, and give them a chance to express themselves creatively and using their own learning style. Definitely no regurgitating for tests at OM, no multiple choice (Am. Schl. and Keystone tests are at least 2/3 multiple choice). OM uses short answer and essay questions that asks the student to use the info. they've learned, analyze it and apply it to their own life experience. Multiple assignment choices are often given to allow students to use their own talents and strengths (ie: after reading the play "Our Town", my ds could write a 3-5 page essay, or act out a scene with set, costumes, etc., videotape it and send it to his teacher). He has definitely grown, retained and generally "gotten the most out of" his OM course. However, it is quite expensive at $875 per course, which is why we only did one. While the teacher is always available for questions, and she offers much more detailed feedback than Keystone, I don't know if the support is worth the difference in cost. Also, while I love the depth at which he is learning, I know there is no way he would have the time to complete the more demanding coursework of OM for all his courses. There are some he just wants/needs to "get done", and others he wants to go in depth on. For both of these reasons, we will likely continue to use only one OM course per year, maybe 2.

About accreditation, we chose these programs because they were accredited by one of the "big 6" regional accrediting agencies. They are acknowledged by all colleges and other accredited schools. Therefore, if he decides to transfer all his credits from these various programs to one of them in the end and get his diploma from them, they must accept the credits from the other schools, because they are all accredited. We had considered using Kolbe or NARHS, but that would limit his diploma choice down the road, since OM said outright they wouldn't accept NARHS credits, but were required to accept Am. Sch. and Keystone credit, since they have equivalent accreditation.

Hope this helps!

American School - Definitely the most affordable, and considering the difference in price, really not that different from Keystone's equivalent courses.

The main thing that made me rule out American School as an option for dd #2 is that the college prep diploma option has very low math and English requirements. It lists "Essential Math 1 and 2" as being required, and "Understanding English 1 and 2." Looking at the course descriptions, both of those courses appear to be remedial, rather than what I'd consider high school college prep.

It sounds like you're saying that they're flexible on those requirements though. Could a 9th grader start with a higher level of math? They would have to choose the "special" option then, correct?

The main thing that made me rule out American School as an option for dd #2 is that the college prep diploma option has very low math and English requirements. It lists "Essential Math 1 and 2" as being required, and "Understanding English 1 and 2." Looking at the course descriptions, both of those courses appear to be remedial, rather than what I'd consider high school college prep.

It sounds like you're saying that they're flexible on those requirements though. Could a 9th grader start with a higher level of math? They would have to choose the "special" option then, correct?

A 9th grader can start at a higher math. My ds will be starting with algebra next year, then geometry, then algebra 2. They do offer higher math but only require 3 years. We may stop with algebra 2. I'm not sure if they're as flexible with English. I agree that their first 2 courses in English look a bit basic. I'm planning to supplement with some additional literature.

We had considered using Kolbe or NARHS, but that would limit his diploma choice down the road, since OM said outright they wouldn't accept NARHS credits, but were required to accept Am. Sch. and Keystone credit, since they have equivalent accreditation.

Hope this helps!

Can you explain more why you did not go with Kolbe? Does Oak Meadow accept credits transferred from Kolbe? I have been considering both, but may have to steer away from Kolbe if the credits are not useful somewhere else.

I was concerned about this issue as well. I was told that, if the student was at a higher level in math, s/he could begin at a higher level. The requirements they list are the most basic requirements, but you can certainly go above and beyond. I was explicitly told that Essential Math could be replaced by Alg. I, etc. They only offer through Alg. II, though, so any higher math than that would have to be taken elsewhere. (UPDATE: AS now offers higher level math through their online courses.  My ds recently finished their Trig. course).

ETA: I forgot to mention that a student enrolling in the diploma program can test out of up to 5 courses. If your dc completed Alg. I in 8th grade, for example, or completed other homeschool courses that you would like to get credit for, s/he can simply take the final exam for that course and the grade will be listed on the transcript as if they had taken the course (no distinction). Max of 5, though. (UPDATE: I was recently informed that those 5 "test-out" courses are typically 9th grade courses, such as Alg. 1, English 9, etc.  It is possible to test out of higher-level courses, but special permission must be obtained from the principal after providing a description of the materials used, etc.)

Edited by AHASRADA

Can you explain more why you did not go with Kolbe? Does Oak Meadow accept credits transferred from Kolbe? I have been considering both, but may have to steer away from Kolbe if the credits are not useful somewhere else.

I did not get an answer about Kolbe specifically, and I didn't push for it. I asked if they would accept credits from distance learning programs which were accredited by agencies other than one of the big regionals, like NARHS or Kolbe. They specifically rejected NARHS, but explicitly stated that they were obligated to accept credits from other regionally-accredited institutions, even if they felt the coursework was not equivalent (easier).

I think Kolbe is a great, flexible solution if you stick with it from start to finish. It gives parents ultimate authority over the curriculum they choose and the grades they assign. I doubt colleges would have any problems with Kolbe's transcript, since they are an accredited Catholic school. Some days I get sick and tired of being held to someone else's plans and requirements and wonder if I should have just gone with Kolbe.

However, I still wanted my ds to do some online classes, and with Kolbe, I would have to pay over $300 per year just for their transcript services, in addition to the cost of courses. By taking courses from several different programs with equivalent accreditation, ds can ultimately transfer them all to one place and get a diploma without additional transcript fees (as long as he takes the requisite minimum credits from that institution). I also live in an area that is not super familiar with homeschooling, and I wanted a very academic-looking transcript for him from an accredited school. Kolbe's transcript has something to the effect of "verification of parent-issued grades" printed on it, and I didn't feel comfortable with that. Not to mention that only their math and science curricula would likely serve us; everything else would be swapped out/outsourced, so it just didn't seem like an ideal fit for us. HTH.

I did not get an answer about Kolbe specifically, and I didn't push for it. I asked if they would accept credits from distance learning programs which were accredited by agencies other than one of the big regionals, like NARHS or Kolbe. They specifically rejected NARHS, but explicitly stated that they were obligated to accept credits from other regionally-accredited institutions, even if they felt the coursework was not equivalent (easier).

I think Kolbe is a great, flexible solution if you stick with it from start to finish. It gives parents ultimate authority over the curriculum they choose and the grades they assign. I doubt colleges would have any problems with Kolbe's transcript, since they are an accredited Catholic school. Some days I get sick and tired of being held to someone else's plans and requirements and wonder if I should have just gone with Kolbe.

However, I still wanted my ds to do some online classes, and with Kolbe, I would have to pay over $300 per year just for their transcript services, in addition to the cost of courses. By taking courses from several different programs with equivalent accreditation, ds can ultimately transfer them all to one place and get a diploma without additional transcript fees (as long as he takes the requisite minimum credits from that institution). I also live in an area that is not super familiar with homeschooling, and I wanted a very academic-looking transcript for him from an accredited school. Kolbe's transcript has something to the effect of "verification of parent-issued grades" printed on it, and I didn't feel comfortable with that. Not to mention that only their math and science curricula would likely serve us; everything else would be swapped out/outsourced, so it just didn't seem like an ideal fit for us. HTH.

Thanks for all that info on Kolbe. I am kind of feeling the same way. I would probably have to swap out everything but math and science which seems to defeat the purpose. However, their flexibility in accepting other curriculum to receive credits is a plus. The only thing that really really scares me is that I would have to grade my dd's work and I have never had to do that. I almost like Oak Meadow and Keystone better for the involvement of teacher's to determine grades, etc. The philosophy behind Oak Meadow is very appealing. The only negatives I can come up with for Oak Meadow is the price and the fact that I don't like the math program they use for Algebra (Saxon). Not sure if they allow substitution on that or not. I know that they allow accredited courses to be transferred in, but how do I find an accredited math course that uses the math curriculum that would work for my dd...probably not going to happen. Maybe I will just end up making up my own transcript. That idea is sounding better every day, not to mention cheaper!

We have used American School and been happy with it.

DS (27) finished with AS after one year in public school. He went into the Army afterward.

DD (25) finished AS in order to graduate early. She went to BYU (Brigham Young University) and finished her degree.

DD (21) finished AS and went to BYU-Idaho for 2 years.

DS (16) is using AS now and will finish by December.

(DS 26 and DD 19 graduate from public school.)

AS was readily accepted for the colleges our children chose, as well as accepted by the Army. We supplemented with courses from BYU Independent Study and U of MO high school courses; AS readily accepted them all.

A few points:

1. The college-bound high school program requires 18 credits to complete. 4 additional credits can be added at (at least the last time we did it) for $50 each. The regular program also requires 18 credits, but does not allow the additional 4 credits.

2. The courses that are taken through other accredited high school programs are added to the transcript. They can be used in place of a class requirement, or just put as an additional credit. For instance: Ds took the first semester of American History through BYU. AS accepted is as filling a requirement, and he then finished the second semester by completing the second semester of AS's American History. We have the flexibility of counting the BYU class as 0.5 of the 22 credits (we bought the extra), or an additional 0.5 credit, and then adding another AS 0.5 credits in order to keep the total AS courses to 22. Right now, ds has completed 4.0 credits through BYU, and we have chosen to still take 22 credits through AS.

3. The program is very adequate for a high school diploma. I would not say it is at the academic level which most WTM families desire, but that isn't what we wanted. Some of the electives would give much more challenge, such as the Grammar and Comp 3 & 4 courses. The Algebra 2 course includes Trig, and both the Algebra courses use Dolciani.

4. 3 hours a day of AS allows the full 4 years to be completed in 3 years. This has allowed our children to work and/or pursue other interests and extra-curricular activities.

5. We pay the full amount up front. There is a small discount for this. We have found it allows us the flexibility to obtain much more than the one or two classes that they usually send at one time.

6. We switched from the college-bound to the regular, and were allowed to keep our 22 credits. The first switch is free; if we were to choose to go back to the college-bound, there would be a fee of about $60.

7. AS has started to offer a few on-line courses. We haven't used them. There is an additional fee.

My sister has used AS with her oldest 5. All completed the program by age 16, went to the local community college to obtain an associate degree, and then went off to college at the same time their friends did, only they went as transfer students. All went to BYU, and the oldest is now finishing law school, the second will go to med school this fall, and the others are still attending.

Here is the web site link; I would encourage you to look through it.

http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Negin,

Where will your dc attend college? US colleges really do not care about accreditation (or at least private colleges do not). They want to see a rigorous, diverse high school transcript with detailed course descriptions, ACT or SAT (with a few sub tests), and three letters of outside recommendation. If you need accountability for the children, that is one thing, but going with an accredited school is not especially highly regarded by colleges. As a matter of fact, then it is just more cookie-cutter and not necessarily something that would impress colleges. They like homeschoolers because they have decent courses, good test scores, and individual interests and hobbies.

I did look into having one of my children apply to the university in Denmark and as I recall then they wanted sub tests in everything, but that was about it.

Nadia

We use Keystone. I've been very happy with them. We chose this school because it is accredited by an agency that the state universities in Georgia accepts. They accept transfer credits from other accredited sources, or from homeschool courses in portfolio form. My oldest dd transferred her public school classes and took the rest from Keystone. For my son's program, I put together a 9th grade English course that included Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings and Keystone accepted it with no problem.

The classes are self-paced. You are given 12 months to complete a course, one free one month extension, and then $50 to extend it for another 3 months.

My son has Aspergers and while he's faced some challenges, we are still able to accommodate his learning style into his work. There are no special accommodations from Keystone though. I just mean that he hasn't had a problem with the assigned work even if it takes him longer to complete it.

The courses are easy to follow. Nothing is complicated. The teachers reply within 24 hours.

American School's exams are sent with the course materials; usually 8-12 exams/credit. There are no finals. Exams are open-book, which does not always mean they are easy. No proctor is needed. For AS, placement tests are only given if you want to get credit for courses completed prior to registration that have not been taken through an accredited agency. Many do this for math. Other than that, the required courses are spelled out for you, other than choosing the electives.

BYU IndS courses do need a proctor for mid-terms and finals, and lesson exams are usually done online. We took earth science, biology, American hx, Hx of the American West, Foods, Auto Repair, Exploring Values, and many others. I was not impressed with BYU's math courses, but we were happy with everything else.

For both programs, courses can be completed as quickly as you want. BYU has a 1-year limit, with a 1-time 3 month extension. AS wants the courses completed by the time you finish (4 years if you register for the complete 4-year high school program, etc.).

I hope that answers your questions. Ds wants to attend BYU-I and study wildlife management and become a park ranger. He loves nature and the outdoors.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to thank everyone for their really, really helpful replies :grouphug:. I'm busy copying and pasting everything into a word document to read later, since I read better that way. :)

I may soon post with additional questions if no one minds.

Thank you again.

We use Keystone. I've been very happy with them. We chose this school because it is accredited by an agency that the state universities in Georgia accepts. They accept transfer credits from other accredited sources, or from homeschool courses in portfolio form. My oldest dd transferred her public school classes and took the rest from Keystone. For my son's program, I put together a 9th grade English course that included Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings and Keystone accepted it with no problem.

The classes are self-paced. You are given 12 months to complete a course, one free one month extension, and then $50 to extend it for another 3 months.

My son has Aspergers and while he's faced some challenges, we are still able to accommodate his learning style into his work. There are no special accommodations from Keystone though. I just mean that he hasn't had a problem with the assigned work even if it takes him longer to complete it.

The courses are easy to follow. Nothing is complicated. The teachers reply within 24 hours.

I have a couple of questions for you about Keystone. You said you put together a portfolio for English credit for LLFLOTR and I was interested in doing something similar. What exactly did you have to submit in the portfolio? Were there samples of work completed? I have never put a homeschool portfolio together before, so just wondering what the requirements are.

Also, does Keystone allow math to be completed and verified by portfolio as well? I really want to use a specific math program and would love to be able to do so and have my dd receive credit for it.

One more question, what is the minimum amount of courses that have to be completed directly through Keystone to receive a diploma?

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but I am searching for information regarding American School. Can someone tell me what is required if you plan on starting your student on this curriculum at the beginning of 9th grade.Do you have to send in a portfolio of work from the 8th grade? Also, do they provide transcripts when your student graduates? Thanks for the info!

I don't remember American School asking about my student at all -- I just said I wanted to sign my ds up. After I paid the money, they sent the books and my ds started the classes. We paid up front so that we could request more than 2 courses at a time. They did provide transcripts. I think the first one was free, and then they started charging $3 or something reasonable like that.

I felt I needed to add classes to make the college prep. education complete -- more science, math, etc. I made my own transcript that showed both my classes and the AS classes (arranged by subject) that I sent to colleges.

Martha

I just signed my daughter up for American School on Monday. We are waiting for her books to arrive.

Here is a list of schools we considered. American School is what we went with because it's so affordable.

American School https://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/whychoose

Keystone http://keystoneschoolonline.com/

NorthStar Academy http://www.northstar-academy.org/

Indiana University http://iuhighschool.iu.edu/diplomas/index.shtml

University of Missouri http://muhigh.missouri.edu/coursedisplay.aspx?l=h

Laurel Springs http://www.laurelsprings.com/

BYU http://is.byu.edu/site/programs/HighSchoolProgram.cfm

Oak Meadow http://www.oakmeadow.com/

Texas Tech University https://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/k-12/