Menu

Math for 1st to get kids solid with +/- facts?

Mrs. Lilac

We just did Horizons math for K. I wasn't a fan. I don't feel like there was enough practice of the basic facts. It had DS doing 73-3, when he didn't have a grip on 6+4. It seemed a little backwards to me.

I was thinking about Math Mammoth for 1st, but I'm open to suggestions....I just want something that will get them really solid with their addition and subtraction facts. DD (3rd grade) didn't get as solid with those as she should have and we're paying the price now.

Right start B.

Very solid at building conceptual understanding. Math facts came easily with this program for DS and older DD, and I plan to use RS A for younger DD in K this year. They play games and use the abscus and do some paper snd pencil work, but mostly it is done through visualizing the concepts. By the end the kids are doing four digit addition with carrying/regrouping on paper and two double digit numbers added in their heads. After getting this awesome foundation I switch them over to Singapore.

I don't expect math facts to be learned in K, but I did use MM1 with DS1, and I never had to work on math facts outside of the program. There was PLENTY of practice. More than enough really. We skipped a lot and he still learned those facts. :)

My middle son will be using Singapore 1A/1B next year, and he's picking up his facts pretty easily already because I use C-rods with his math (Singapore Essential Math K). I highly recommend C-rods! By manipulating the rods and seeing how the numbers go together, he's picking up those number bonds super quick. I have no doubt that by the end of Singapore 1A, he'll have his math facts down pat, especially after doing their recommended games and mental math drills.

I am actually finding that my DD is learning Math facts best from MEP (and we are using Singapore 1, MEP 1 and Horizons K). I think this is because they only work with numbers 0-10 in the first year and there is a lot of problem solving. Best thing is it is free.

I am actually finding that my DD is learning Math facts best from MEP (and we are using Singapore 1, MEP 1 and Horizons K). I think this is because they only work with numbers 0-10 in the first year and there is a lot of problem solving. Best thing is it is free.
MEP uses 1-20 in Y1, but I agree it's an excellent choice.