Menu

Have any of you done an in-depth islamic study unit? Can you recommend some books for it? We've done Islam as a world religion (5 pillars,....), but I'd like to go deeper, reading some of the Koran and taking a particular look at Sunni vs. Shiite (we're likely to visit Iran at some point so anything with an emphasis on things Persian would be esp. good).

We're Christians and I'm not too keen on material that is looking to convert (we picked some of that up at a mosque we recently visited and it's enough in small doses), more books that inform. They can me written by Muslims, though. So far I've got a Koran, but not much else.

The dds are 13 and 12 and have a resonably good reading level (like they've already read through the Bible).

Thanks for any suggestions,

You may be interested in this series from Crabtree Publishing, called Life in the Early Islamic World. You can find them on Amazon as well.

The Usborne Story of Islam is pretty comprehensive for a small book, and although it's listed as a "young reading" book, is not exceedingly easy.

Neither of these are designed to convert.

Tamim Ansary's Destiny Disrupted might be of interest if you're looking for something longer for world history. He is Muslim but it's not a religious conversion book.

David Nicolle's Historical Atlas of the Islamic World could be helpful.

This is a good book if you'd like a more experiential approach. There is also an old biography of Muhammed called 'Payambar' that is very engaging. It's OOP though so you may have a hard time finding it. And then of course there are the Karen Armstrong books. Which translation of the Koran do you have?

In terms of Persian studies you could begin with one of the greatest Persian poets, Jalaluddin Rumi. There is a wealth of info on him and the Coleman Barks translations are wonderful.

I've had a hard time doing what you want to do. It's difficult to find books that are geared for children but not overly simplistic because almost everything about Islam for non-Muslim children is incredibly basic. But, like you, I don't necessarily want something that's geared toward Muslim children, just like I wouldn't hand a Sunday School book from my church to a family looking to teach their children about us.

It's even more frustrating when we're here in Central Asia because I'd like to highlight the historical importance of Sufism in Islam, but it's almost competely ignored in any children's book about Islam.

We have used and liked the book shukriyya mentions though.

Someday I'd like to team up with a Muslim author and write a decent, in-depth children's book about Islam that's specifically for non-Muslim children.

Anyway, this isn't helpful, I'm just frustrated too. Mostly I try to highlight Islam when it's only briefly mentioned elsewhere, or add to what's presented in a book about Islam.

For an excellent parent's study, I would highly recommend Abridged Koran It just gives the 'facts', which are based on the best sources available. You could then introduce the aspects you want to, but you will have a solid foundation yourself.

But Persia has a longer history and deeper identity with Zoroastrianism, as you probably already know. That would make a wonderful study before going to Persia, and then seeing all the ancient temples, visiting existing fire temples and experiencing that culture that still exists in Iran today (despite persecution at times). And have you read the story: "The Other Wise Man"? It's wonderful!! About a Zoroastrian Magian who goes in search of Jesus. The pastor who wrote it had a surprising knowledge of Zoroastrianism. ... sorry I got off topic, but I love ancient Persian history! Have fun on your trip.

Edited by fluffybunny

Are you looking more for history or for ideology? I'm working on designing a high school level course for ds (14 yrs, 9th grade in the fall) to cover Islamic history in the Medieval period, using a college-level history survey book as a spine and having him read from the "classics" of Middle Eastern and Islamic literature. My youngers will be following a similar pattern but simpler. But this is focusing more on history than ideology, we do other things for learning about Islam as a religion (and as Muslims).