Menu

What else is 'like' AAS?

Right now, we are just using the TM for AAS. I make lists of the words for review/mastery, and she writes the words in her notebook. I like the simplicity of AAS, it's very open and go for us. We are moving slowly through it, as we also use other phonics programs. I was thinking, that maybe there is a book that is similar but just ONE book for all of the rules? So it would tell me the rules/phonogram, and give a listing of words that uses it? And would be ordered sequentially from easy-harder? I have WRTR, but I really just don't like it much.:001_huh: If there is nothing else, I'll stick with AAS since its working well. But if there was an all-in-one option, it would probably be less expensive than buying all of the TM for AAS...;)Thanks!

Right now, we are just using the TM for AAS. I make lists of the words for review/mastery, and she writes the words in her notebook. I like the simplicity of AAS, it's very open and go for us. We are moving slowly through it, as we also use other phonics programs. I was thinking, that maybe there is a book that is similar but just ONE book for all of the rules? So it would tell me the rules/phonogram, and give a listing of words that uses it? And would be ordered sequentially from easy-harder? I have WRTR, but I really just don't like it much.:001_huh: If there is nothing else, I'll stick with AAS since its working well. But if there was an all-in-one option, it would probably be less expensive than buying all of the TM for AAS...;)Thanks!

How To Teach Spelling has everything in one book.

It would be better to say what AAS is like...Spalding. A manual (Writing Road to Reading) that you buy once that contains a spelling list that is the most-often-ocurring words your dc will need to read or spell, and phonogram cards. The only extra that you buy is a bound composition notebook that the dc write in. Although there is a learning curve for the teacher, once you begin actually teaching, you pick up the manual and go.

It would be better to say what AAS is like...Spalding. A manual (Writing Road to Reading) that you buy once that contains a spelling list that is the most-often-ocurring words your dc will need to read or spell, and phonogram cards. The only extra that you buy is a bound composition notebook that the dc write in. Although there is a learning curve for the teacher, once you begin actually teaching, you pick up the manual and go.

The phonograms and rules are the same, but the order of introduction of words makes the programs VERY different. Spalding introduces phonograms up front and teaches rules as you come upon them in a word list sorted by frequency. AAS, HTTS, and other O-G type programs will teach one phonogram or rule at a time and give all words for that phonogram or rule. It's a HUGE difference in style, and I could see a child doing better with one way than the other (in either direction) depending on learning style.

The closest thing to AAS that is all one book is definitely HTTS, and it is inexpensive. It's not as easy to use as AAS - not as much hand holding. But if you've used AAS, it's easier to figure out HTTS.

If you want to move faster through the phonograms/rules, Spalding is an excellent way to do that, since again, it hits most of them up front. In AAS, you don't get to some of the phonograms until level 5, but some kids might need to go that slow and take it one itty bitty step at a time.

This difference in presentation of words is the main difference between Spalding and O-G programs, IMO.

The Logic of English is very similar to AAS and all in one book. It is not cheap but cheaper, probably, than AAS.

A much more affordable option is How To Teach Spelling. It is not as scripted and easy to implement as LoE or AAS.

Edited by nansk

you don't need workbooks to go with HTTS, but they are available .... i bought the lower levels {1 and 2, i think} and didn't end up feeling like it mattered that i had them. I just plugged away from the TM and used a composition notebook.

I'll add this as an aside.

I found HTTS to be more difficult for *me* to stay focused using than AAS has been. I have loved AAS because of the tiles, the cards, the open and go format. I have one natural speller {and i did "Natural Speller" with him just before the HTTS attempt} and one who struggles .... The latter would have *never* been able to understand HTTS as simply as she does AAS. AAS has been a great fit for both kids. THey have very different learning styles to boot. So to me, the proof of a great program/curriculum for us {from the standpoint of mommy-learning-curve-time and monetary investment} is if it can span both {maybe even LO#3?}.

Do I need the workbooks to go with HTTS?

No, you don't need the workbooks. We used them because it just made it a bit easier for me. I really, really like that HTTS has all the grade levels included, it also helped me adjust the spelling lists/dictation to my dc's level.

Spelling power? I don't have it yet, but have looked at it a lot and read a lot about it. It may have what you are looking for.

It doesn't have the cute magnets and cards, and it isn't for rank beginners, but SP is all in one book for age 8-9 to college. If you go to Amazon's page for the third edition, I've written a longest review.