Menu

I want an "English" workbook for my 4th grader. What do you recommend?

DB in NJ

We've mostly used R&S English, but I'm considering a workbook for my 9 yo ds. I prefer a workbook, which is why R&S is out for now.

I've used Easy Grammar before (don't care for it), and the grammar series by Christian Liberty Press (it's for older kids). Other than EG, ABeka, and BJU, are there any grammar/writing workbooks you would recommend?

Thanks!

Hey, that looks good! And it's not that expensive at all!

Of course I've seen it mentioned a gazillion times around here, but I never paid much attention because I was happy with R&S. This reminds me of R&S, but it has the workbook, which I really like.

Hmmm....off to do more research. THANKS!

Another recommendation for Growing with Grammar. We really liked it. It doesn't have any writing though (well, maybe one book report or a random paragraph here and there) so you'd need to add that. You could just do short writing assignments based off your history or science reading, no formal program.

If you like R&S, but want a workbook, take a look at CLE. CLE Language Arts is very similiar but in a workbook format. The instruction is clear and written to the student. CLE includes grammar with diagramming, handwriting, spelling, punctuation, writing, and research skills all in a format of 10 booklets. No concept is ever dropped - there is systematic review throughout the program. However, the number of problems is not overwhelming - it is just right.

CLE Language Arts has been great for us! If you call them, they will send you a free sample. 1-540-434-0750. Light Units are only $2.75 or so, so you could get a free sample unit from one grade, and get another sample from another grade for $2.75 to see what would work best. The first Light Unit is always review, and is formatted differently than the other units.

Many families use the units a year "behind," if they want the child to be independent, or if the child is an average or below student. There is a scope and sequence at my blog.