Menu

I love OPTGR and ETC!!

Punchie

We're on Lesson 118 of OPTGR and mostly through ETC5 (skipping ETC4), but DD5.75 decided she wanted to read a Bean & Ivy book. And she's able to read/sound out most of the words! There are some things she hasn't covered yet, but I've been explaining as we come across them. I'm just amazed she's actually reading this book. Haltingly and ignoring punctuation and sometimes reading words she thinks are there (but really aren't), but reading nonetheless. :) I love that there's a strong enough foundation at this point that she can do this.

So you're not trying to line them up together? You're just following each one individually? I've been driving myself batty trying to line them up and print out a few pages at a time. I like that it would mix things up. Reinforce older lessons and introduce new ones at the same time. Hmmmm......

Just curious, what do you print out? Is there somethign online to print for ETC or OPGTR?

So you're not trying to line them up together? You're just following each one individually? I've been driving myself batty trying to line them up and print out a few pages at a time. I like that it would mix things up. Reinforce older lessons and introduce new ones at the same time. Hmmmm......

Oh gosh no! I thought about trying to do that, but it seemed like too much effort. She seems do do alright even though sounds/combos are introduced at different times. It helps with reinforcement.

We did give up on ETC4 after the first two or three lessons since she was not at a point to understand what was being taught. I figure we'll go back to it after ETC6. Even now, w/ETC5, we're going to do the half book since she's still having problems with the various sounds "-ed" makes.

I started my dd on ETC and OPGTR and when she was about halfway through OPGTR we added in AAS. I briefly flirted with the idea of trying to line them up but realized I like it as it is. Sometimes it's a review in one book from a lesson already learned in another. Sometimes it just adds another way of thinking about something else. They all compliment each other beautifully.

My dd is 5.5 years old now and a phenomenal reader. She finished OPGTR in April and is on AAS3 right now. And what's better is she enjoys reading. I attribute it these three phenomenal programs.

Nothing online I can find. I have been creating everything myself since I've been teaching two K'ers at once. :svengo:

For OPG I make my own flashcards, I was printing out the sentences for copywork, but dropped that when I started ETC. I still make my own sentence printouts if there is something in the OPG lesson that I think will be helpful. We just finished another to,too, and two lesson and they are still confused. I made my own fill in the blank worksheet from one of the lessons.

For ETC, I bought all of the books and scanned them in to print extra copies when I need them. My girl isn't a fan of ETC, but my boy is. She's almost 5, can write ok, but would rather read (she's the OPG fan). I try not to push it since she's been keeping up with her brother for the most part. I only give her one or two sheets to do while her brother gets more because he flies through it.

I'm sure I'm making it all harder on myself, but with one loving OPG and one ETC I thought it would be easiest to try to line them up. The only way I could do that was to buy all of the books and piece it back together.:willy_nilly:

Maybe I'll just start fresh from book 3 1/2 or so and work on from there. I'm at lesson 82 in OPG. :blink:

I'm in a similar boat with my two kids, I did K with both of them this year at 4 and 6. When we started AAS la few months back, I was able to stop with the flashcards and making-my-own worksheet thing. Something about adding that third thing, and the fact that it tackles a different part of the brain, made them really start absorbing things. Just something to think about. Plus, it's something they can do together, it's tactile, and there's not so much writing (since we do WWE and TOG and a Science, I already make them write at least once a day. So I figured spelling could be our more writing-free subject.) Just thought I'd share, as it really helped me in cutting out some of the constant prep-work I seem to be doing. And it's nice to hear of someone in a similar boat as me! (Except I don't have an older third kid in the mix...)

We loved this combo as well. Used it with my first who is an excellent reader. Reading two grade levels above. And we are now using it with my second child.

I never tried to line them up. Too much work and plus I like the review it creates. Only problem is my daughter gets bored with the OPG lessons so I let her draw in the book. Not sure how the next child using it will feel about the pics being there, oh well. :) Glad it is working for you too, really is a great combo!

I wanted to add one more thing about lining the books up - even though ETC introduces some of the sounds later than OPTGR, the sentences in ETC build on earlier books. So we skipped ETC4, but still have to deal with some of the things covered in that book (like breaking down the syllables). It really does slow things down. With the later books, you have more complicated sentences than you do in the earlier ones. I think it might be discouraging/frustrating for a new reader who hasn't had to deal w/some of it yet.

Not only is it great that she is reading, but I love the Ivy & Bean books, good choice!! :D

Thank you! She enjoyes the Ivy & Bean books. :) I didn't think she could read it, honestly. I haven't even had her attempt Little Bear or Frog & Toad. The fact that she can manage it shows me what a solid program OPTGR/ETC are.

• 2 years later...

We begin OPGTR (Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading by Jessie Wise and Sara Buffington) around age 4, and have had very strong readers by the time they reach Kindergarten.  We are also using AAS and enjoying it so far.

I am curious, though.  What have you found to be lacking in OPGTR that might require supplementation with ETC?  I'm not really familiar with ETC, but am interested in learning more about how it might enhance our OPGTR studies.