Menu

All About Spelling or Phoice Pathways

I taught my kids to read with Phonics Pathways. We just started using AAS as a replacement for Spelling Workout and both my 8yo and 5yo like it a lot. (But they're girls and it may have more to do with coloring in the "completed" honeycombs than anything else...)

I would think it would be hard to learn to read with AAS because they give you all the possible sounds a letter could make right upfront. PP introduces the different sounds over the course of the whole program.

I use them both at the same time and don't feel the need to coordinate them. One will reinforce the other. It is going to take a really long time to get through all the phonics in AAS since it is not set up to be a phonics program. You can go at your son's pace with Phonics Pathways.

I have used Phonics Pathways (and then Reading Pathways to build fluency if necessary) to teach my kids how to read. All About Spelling is a great spelling program that reinforces the concepts that they learned in Phonics Pathways, but to me it doesn't stand alone as a phonics program.

Of the two, I would pick Phonics Pathways if you are choosing just one. They would reinforce one another, though. Phonics Pathways also includes hints as to how to use it for spelling and All About Spelling is not as easy to figure out how to use for reading.

But, you might actually be better off with the free material on my how to tutor page. You can give that and/or my phonics lessons a try.