Menu

Need a fresh set of eyes…please

Do you ever feel like you are spinning your wheels but the scenery isn’t changing?

I’m at a standstill and was wondering if there is anyone on this board (or a site you could direct me to) that would look at my son’s testing scores and give recommendations. Yes, the original psychologist did give suggestions like “Use of a diction program (like Dragon Naturally Speaking)†and “a scribe for all assignments†but that’s not what I mean. I want ideas like Barton (which we have done for 3 years and are working on Level 7) or Seeing Stars or board games to target his weaknesses and strengths. I have read and researched but it’s hard for me to interpret the test. I know there are no easy fixes but it would be nice to experience a small breakthrough.

Thanks! :grouphug:

-12 years old

-Dyslexia

-Dyscalculia

-Dysgraphia

-ADHD Inattentive type

-Reading and Reading Comprehension LD

Strengths -

perceptual reasoning

visual learner

Non Strength-

expressive language

auditory learning

Thanks for asking. :)

Edited by Cate OH
added more info

I used short non-fiction comprehension materials from Remedia Publications for reading comprehension. I also used some of the suggestions from the book Reading Rescue 1-2-3. The AVKO website (makers of Sequential Spelling) had some resources for dyslexia. The program was too writing intensive for DS to do on his own but if I let do half a spelling list at a time or type the words that helped. The spelling lists did help with his reading ability.

I use tons of visual resources for teaching- this year we are using Plato Learning's online classes for math and science. I usually help with the tests just to keep DS' confidence up.

Linguisystems offers some free resources that you might want to check out. It would help you see if their materials would be a good fit for your DS.

What are you doing that is working and what are you doing (or have you already tried) that isn't working?

What is the level 7 of Barton? My son used a different OG program and a friend's son is on Barton, so I have an idea, but not enough to immediately know exactly what level 7 means in terms of where yours is at. I don't know if everyone else immediately knows and I'm the only one who does not, but I suspect more specific info could help get you more useful ideas.

:grouphug:

What are you doing that is working and what are you doing (or have you already tried) that isn't working?

What is the level 7 of Barton? My son used a different OG program and a friend's son is on Barton, so I have an idea, but not enough to immediately know exactly what level 7 means in terms of where yours is at. I don't know if everyone else immediately knows and I'm the only one who does not, but I suspect more specific info could help get you more useful ideas.

:grouphug:

Thanks for your interest! :)

Barton has 10 levels. We are working our way through Level 7 which teaches vowel R syllables. We plan to tackle 8- Advanced Vowel Teams, 9- Foreign Language Influences and 10- Greek and Latin Roots. But that will be over the next year or two depending on the difficulty of each level.

It’s so hard to explain how I feel. It’s not exactly that things have NOT been working but it’s really not noticeable that they ARE working. Sounds crazy, huh?!?!? I’m having trouble seeing the forest through the trees.

Is Barton great? Yes! But reading is a constant challenge.

Each. Word. Is. A. Hurdle. To. Be. Jumped.

Barton takes a lot of energy for my ds to get done each day.

We also do biofeedback.

It would be nice to make some gains, especially in other areas, over the summer that are not so draining.

You could try Leigh Print. It is a visual method that makes English 100% phonetic. I am using it successfully with a student with speech apraxia.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/leighprint.html

Also, Webster's 1908 Speller has diacritical markings and divided syllables for a good visual reminder of sounds.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/websterspellingbookmethod.pdf

You could try Leigh Print. It is a visual method that makes English 100% phonetic. I am using it successfully with a student with speech apraxia.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/leighprint.html

Also, Webster's 1908 Speller has diacritical markings and divided syllables for a good visual reminder of sounds.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/websterspellingbookmethod.pdf

Thanks! I will look at both options. :)

Thanks for your interest! :)

Barton has 10 levels. We are working our way through Level 7 which teaches vowel R syllables. We plan to tackle 8- Advanced Vowel Teams, 9- Foreign Language Influences and 10- Greek and Latin Roots. But that will be over the next year or two depending on the difficulty of each level.

It’s so hard to explain how I feel. It’s not exactly that things have NOT been working but it’s really not noticeable that they ARE working. Sounds crazy, huh?!?!? I’m having trouble seeing the forest through the trees.

Is Barton great? Yes! But reading is a constant challenge.

Each. Word. Is. A. Hurdle. To. Be. Jumped.

Barton takes a lot of energy for my ds to get done each day.

We also do biofeedback.

It would be nice to make some gains, especially in other areas, over the summer that are not so draining.

Hmmm. I. Can. Think. Back. To. That. Stage!!! :D

I know I keep recommending this program to where it may sound like I am affiliated...I'm not, honest! The thing that really worked for my son was High Noon's O-G program combining their Reading Intervention and Sound Out Chapter books. In theory it should be like Barton. Since we did not do Barton, I cannot do a study to know how it would have been better or worse, but another family we know whose son seemed to be very much similar to mine starting from the same time and place (and same bm school background) is on Barton, and is still very much struggling along, while my son is now reading at grade level....and also loving reading. I don't know whether the programs made difference, or the intensity that I had my son do what he did at, or what.

As to intensity, we worked up from 1/2 hour per day to 90 minutes per day. I had my son work with me on the Intervention materials, and then do the Sound Out Chapter books at the appropriate levels 2 or even 3 times through to get fluency and so that that type of word pattern would become easy. (I posted some more about this on a thread on the K-8 board, and the move from that to regular chapter books.) My son also read to others besides me. My son still has dyslexia, but he can now read aloud with fluency and feeling, and he can read to himself with excellent comprehension.

In terms of other areas, I made use of what I could in materials that did not rely on reading. Movies like James Burke's Connections for some and National Geographic movies for some science/history. Audio books. (mine is strong on auditory learning, I guess yours is not... but maybe if you tried some it would develop more?) Visual materials, like National Geographic books that have a lot of pictures to look at have been helpful. Hands on things like snap circuits at one point taught some about electricity. Gardening and cooking have been skills I have been having him work at.

I had to choose math materials that fit the reading problem, and so went with MUS, but he is now able to handle other things and wanting a break from that.

I started considering what strengths my son has that he could perhaps use in life, and to see how these can be worked with.

I re-considered attention issues as meaning having keen interest and observational skills as to the world around him. Someone told me there is a model of this that looks at people as deriving from not only ancient hunters who had to focus, but also the scouts and watchers who had to be observant and alert to all that was around (what is now regarded as ADD type issues) and to start looking at it for its strength aspects and how it fits into many real world areas very well.

I'e also tended to let the summers be still year round school, but a little more "unschool" so that he can more choose and guide what happens and that gives a nice break.

I re-considered attention issues as meaning having keen interest and observational skills as to the world around him. Someone told me there is a model of this that looks at people as deriving from not only ancient hunters who had to focus, but also the scouts and watchers who had to be observant and alert to all that was around (what is now regarded as ADD type issues) and to start looking at it for its strength aspects and how it fits into many real world areas very well.

Wow, that’s the first time I have heard things described like that. It sure puts a different spin on it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

You struck a chord with the comparison of the progress your friend made with Barton and your success with High Noon. That’s a pattern I have been noticing lately. Ugh! It makes my tummy hurt! :confused:

We actually have one of the reader and workbook sets from High Noon. I will give that a try.

Thanks again! You have given me a lot to think about. :grouphug:

Edited by Cate OH
random smilies

Guest jomo

I think the intensity of the program is a good idea.

Are the meds for the ADHD at a theraputic level?

We went through a number of different meds until we found one that worked. Fish oil is also a good additional supplement.

I think the intensity of the program is a good idea.

Are the meds for the ADHD at a theraputic level?

We went through a number of different meds until we found one that worked. Fish oil is also a good additional supplement.

Welcome Jomo. :)

Did you mean the intensity of Barton or the time dedicated to any program? Maybe we should up our time spent each day?

Or do 2 sessions a day? Thinking...