Menu

Just Finished up Getting Started with Latin...now what???

Spent 4th and 5th doing Getting Started with Latin. Plan to do Getting Started with Spanish next year but don't want to quit with Latin so that he can read in Latin by high school. Suggestions on where to go next? It's hard to figure out where we would fit in the other curricula...

Spent 4th and 5th doing Getting Started with Latin. Plan to do Getting Started with Spanish next year but don't want to quit with Latin so that he can read in Latin by high school. Suggestions on where to go next? It's hard to figure out where we would fit in the other curricula...

After my 2nd grader finishedGSwL, we began LL 1 in 3rd grade. We've completed one page/day (skipped the history), and we came close to finishing. Toward the end of the book, we've slowed down. Next year, we will review BB1 and finish what we didn't get to this year because I'm in no hurry to race into BB2. LL1 has been great. Ds has really enjoyed it. He enjoyed GSwL as well.

For 6th grade following GSWL, I'd start any significant middle school or high school program - maybe LNM. Henle would work too; Wheelock might be too much for 6th. GSWL is such a great intro that paves the way for an easy adjustment to a heavy-duty grammar and translation program.

At this point, with a middle school student having done GSWL, I would not bother with the elementary level programs.

After my 2nd grader finishedGSwL, we began LL 1 in 3rd grade. We've completed one page/day (skipped the history), and we came close to finishing. Toward the end of the book, we've slowed down. Next year, we will review BB1 and finish what we didn't get to this year because I'm in no hurry to race into BB2. LL1 has been great. Ds has really enjoyed it. He enjoyed GSwL as well.

For 6th grade following GSWL, I'd start any significant middle school or high school program - maybe LNM. Henle would work too; Wheelock might be too much for 6th. GSWL is such a great intro that paves the way for an easy adjustment to a heavy-duty grammar and translation program.

At this point, with a middle school student having done GSWL, I would not bother with the elementary level programs.

Thanks guys. Will look at both. He has loved GSWL and I am hoping that GSWS will be just as good of a basic intro.

would you mind elaborating....

Sure. Older is very focused, mature, wants no nonsense, challenging material without a lot of fluff. He doesnt mind dense text or fonts. Henle fits. Younger is not only younger, but prefers diversity, games, stories, videos, etc. lively latin is a fit for him.

Veritas suggests using Wheelock in 5th or 6th grade, and maybe that's possible with a parent who knows Latin and a motivated child (or with a child who has used Henle in the previous couple of years), but I still like Henle for those grades. I've added in LNM and both of us are really enjoying it. Henle fits my style of teaching, but LNM is good for DD. I don't think I would have felt comfortable with LNM without having DD go through a few units of Henle. In general, I really don't like immersion programs, but LNM is of both worlds, and it adds some variety to a grammar-focused program, like Henle.

This is what I'm using for my fifth grade who finished GSWL earlier this year. So far, so good, but I am taking my time and making sure his retention is good. One program I tried with my middle ds after GSWL was Cambridge,and I didn't think it worked very well.