Menu

If you don't strictly follow the 4 year history cycle..

What is your plan..For history K-8?

History has been all over the place at our house! I'm trying to figure out a plan. I'll try to combine in the same history But don't take that into consideration, just your plan for history K-8 to give me some ideas! :bigear:

Edited by Hearts Academy
More information

Well, I pulled my son out of PS late, so we're very tentatively planning:

3rd: World Geography and Cultures

4th: Ancients

5th: Middle Ages

6th: Early Modern World History

7th: Early American History

8th: Late Modern World History

9th: Modern American History

10th: American Government/Civics

11th: International Studies

12th: Church History

For my youngest, it might then look like this:

K: Ancients

1: Middle Ages

2: Early Modern World History

3: Early American History

4: Late Modern World History

5: Modern American History

6: Ancients

7: Middle Ages

8: Early Modern World History

9: Late Modern World History

10: American Government/Civics

11: International Studies

12: Church History

Again, this is just what I have sketched out. It may happen differently.

Edited by KirstenH

We are using mfw next year so excited for it! We are going to be starting the 4year cycle for my oldest in 5t grade. So it will look something like this

3rd us history with adventures

4th ecc (world geography /cultures)

5th ancients

6th middle

7th exp-1850

8th modern

then start over for high school.

The younger two will join the 4 year cycle when they get to second grade.

K: world cultures and geography

1st: American history to 1865

2nd: American history from 1865 to present

3rd: ancients

4th: medieval times

5th: early modern

6th: modern

7th: state history (I'm a Texan, so this is super important! ;))

8th: special study of a specific theme self-selected by kids (science and technology, art, music, etc.)

I wanted to have dedicated American history rather than just including it within world history, so our plan is:

1st: World history to middle ages

2nd: World history from middle ages to modern

3rd: American history to civil war

4th: American history from civil war to modern

5th: World geography and cultures

6th: World history to middle ages

7th: World history from renaissance to modern

8th: American history

Since my kids are all spaced about two years apart, this also allows me to fold younger children in easier. The oldest started at the beginning of world history, the second starts at the beginning of American history, etc.

We will be starting ancients in January of 2nd grade and continue through the full 4 year cycle. But we school year round so will be a little ahead of the curve. Anyway, I'm planning on doing American History in middle school. I know 1 year will be the Prairie Primer, but don't know about the others yet (suggestions welcome, please! :)) Then we'll do the 4 year cycle again in high school.

I have been doing the same thing every year so far.

For the first half-ish of the year, we read through a world history overview book.

For the second half, we read through an American history overview book.

In addition we do these:

Three history lapbooks per year so that they get more indepth knowledge in each area.

Memory work

A very basic timeline.

Various biographies and historical fiction read alouds that loosely correlate with the time period we are studying.

Next year I will correlate geography with our history reading using the TruthQuest Map Trek Altas/Hisory guides.

I am very happy with our history program, though it is different from the four-year cycle approach. One of the main goals is for my kids to know the big picture of world history including the general order of major events and time periods by middle or high school. I also want them to be very knowledgeable in American history and civics/government. I think the yearly repetition is fantastic for this purpose. Epi Kardia also teaches history accoring to this method in case anyone is interested.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the 4 year cycle and it's benefits. Would someone like to explain, please? Thanks:)

1st = Ancients

2nd = Middle Ages

3rd = Early Modern

4th = Modern

and repeat twice more to get through 12th grade.

Looks a bit different if you have younger kids tagging along or if you don't start at 1st. This rotation is further outlined in The Well Trained Mind (TWTM).:001_smile:

We've been a bit all over the map (literally, haha), and I pretty much unschooled history for the first several years, which worked super, super well for my DD. Our more formal history has looked like this/will probably look like this for her:

2nd -- early American history (from earliest explorers to start of Revolution)

3rd -- medieval (based on interest)

4th -- American history from Revolution to late 19th century (this current year)

5th -- ancient

6th -- 20th and 21st century American history (including parts of SOTW 4)

7th -- early modern history from a global perspective (SOTW 3)

8th -- modern global history (the rest of SOTW 4)

9th-12th -- depends on her needs. I'd like her to hit ancient again in about 9th grade, with world/European history, US history, and maybe government/comparative government, for other years. It will depend on if she wants to take AP exams or if she wants to take some community college classes. This child is very interested in history.

For my older two, did the first four year cycle from 1st-4th, then took a couple of years off for American history, then did world history again in 7th and 8th. Our sequence for high school is completely different. We don't do the 4 year cycle in high school.

My older ds did the four year cycle from 1st-4th, then a year of American history last year. This year, he's using MP's Classical Studies. Next year, he'll cycle back into ancients with his younger brother.

Thanks for the replies.:001_smile: Maybe I haven't completely failed because none of my dc have gotten the full history cycle!? :lol:

I think next year we're doing State History and some American History and I'm still not sure after that. Possibly complete American History but I think I'll just figure it out then.. Even if I make a plan it never seems to work , I tried so hard to do the cycle but we struggled the first two years and barely got through it ended up doing American History and never got back to the history cycle (that was 4 years ago!). I'm sure they're getting more history then in PS though, just have to remind myself that. ;)

Well, we're just getting started, so take my plans with a grain of salt, but here's what I'm thinking:

next couple of years: whatever mish-mash of history we get with FIAR

when we get tired of FIAR (maybe 1st grade? maybe 2nd?): a one year overview of early American history (I want them to know pilgrims, founding fathers, pioneers, etc)

after that, start a 4 year cycle with the ancients.