Menu

ISO Latin curriculum that teaches the Language

Have you looked at Latin Prep by Galore Park?

It does a lot of translation and little conversations. There are good samples on the web site.

We have switched to that program this year. Don't get me wrong, it is still really heavy on the grammar.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the language." Do you mean vocabulary? Do you mean lots of translation? Or do you mean immersion-style learning via "reading"? I would avoid programs that do not have a good amount of translating.

Personally, I would not teach the 13 y.o. and the 7 y.o. together, as the 13 y.o. would be capable of a very different level of work. I'd look at a high school level program for the 13 y.o. (e.g., Wheelock, LNM, Henle, maybe one of the Latin Preps)

Do you mean immersion? Maybe the Minimus series? Book one looks pretty basic but maybe book 2 goes more indepth. I haven't seen much immersion for children but once they hit the middle grades you might be able to do Lingua latina

I second Galore Park's Latin Prep for your 13 yo. It has grammar, reading, and translation. It is an excellent program that is definitely parts-to-whole, but it gets the kids reading and translating from the beginning. I definitely think it would be too much for a 7 yo. It's recommended for 10 & up.

Another thing you could do would be to add a reading/immersion based program to a grammar-based program, and do them together or alternating - I just picked up Ecce Romani and figure we'll do it once or twice a week along with LL1 until we finish LL, and then we're starting Latin Prep in August. LL is a solid treatment of vocab & grammar, and it has some very simple translating, but no reading. I agree that actually using the language (i.e. reading & translating) as soon as they have enough vocab & grammar understanding to make it feasible makes the language "come alive" and makes it more engaging to keep plugging away, learning the grammar.

I guess what I'm saying is that the reading/immersion programs alone are inadequate, because they don't teach you the grammar, but that grammar-only programs are inadequate, because they are boring!!! Putting them together can really work, though, I think (although I think Latin Prep does this for you).

I Speak Latin - conversational approach

Minumus & Secondus - a comic style story about a mouse and "his" family

Lingua Latina - immersion approach

Perhaps Ecce Romani and Cambridge Latin (I haven't seen them, but they are supposed to combine story with grammar)