Menu

Bear with me while I think ahead re: Latin (x-post)

mo2

My 5th grader will be starting Latin this year and I'm trying to look ahead and see what progression we will use through high school. We are secular homeschoolers, so I don't think the porgression SWB has laid out in WTM will work for us. I intend to begin this year with Lively Latin 1 and then go on to Lively Latin 2, but I'm not sure what to do after. :confused: Eventually I think we will use Wheelock's for high school, but does anyone have any recommendations of what to use between Lively Latin and Wheelock's? :bigear:

Latin Prep is a good choice for that age. It's secular, efficient and fun. There are samples here. You can buy it from horriblebooks.com or (with free shipping) from bookdepository.co.uk.

Laura

What level would I want to use after Lively Latin?

We're wrapping up Lively Latin 1 here at the end of 4th grade, and we'll start Latin Prep in August. It looks like there are 3 years of Latin Prep, and then you can go on to So You Really Want to Learn Latin, which would work for a High School Latin credit, I think? Laura?

I'm not an expert on this - the UK system is different. Abbeyej (of this board) came to this conclusion:

".....Latin Prep 1-3 = ~ 2 years of American high school Latin, and So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3 (which can be used after LP1-3) would count as an American high school Latin 3 class. You will also want to add some basic Roman history/culture in order to match the expectations for a high school language course. Students would be expected to know the basics of Roman government (and the evolution of that government), family structure, household, army and religion... Abbeyej

Laura

When I was researching this, it was suggested that Latin Prep be started after LL1. It does start at "the beginning" but it moves much more quickly, and is intended for older kids (10 and up). I would think a 14 yo could do it easy peasy after LL1.

Other people did LL1, started LL2 and got bogged down part way through, and then moved to Latin Prep. Latin Prep looks like a *huge* step up in speed and intensity from LL1. I know that LL2 is supposed to be a big step too, but not having seen it can't compare them.

Looking back on this, I can't tell if it is at all helpful . . . sorry :glare:

When I was researching this, it was suggested that Latin Prep be started after LL1. It does start at "the beginning" but it moves much more quickly, and is intended for older kids (10 and up). I would think a 14 yo could do it easy peasy after LL1.

Other people did LL1, started LL2 and got bogged down part way through, and then moved to Latin Prep. Latin Prep looks like a *huge* step up in speed and intensity from LL1. I know that LL2 is supposed to be a big step too, but not having seen it can't compare them.

I think it's helpful. :)

Yes Very helpful! I am :auto: to look at Latin Prep...

• 1 month later...
My 5th grader will be starting Latin this year and I'm trying to look ahead and see what progression we will use through high school. We are secular homeschoolers, so I don't think the porgression SWB has laid out in WTM will work for us. I intend to begin this year with Lively Latin 1 and then go on to Lively Latin 2, but I'm not sure what to do after. :confused: Eventually I think we will use Wheelock's for high school, but does anyone have any recommendations of what to use between Lively Latin and Wheelock's? :bigear:

Bear with me, too, but I would strongly urge you not to use Wheelock's. In my experience, the examples and practices exercises are too short to build the skills necessary to actually read Latin. If you are set on using a grammar based approach, I'd recommend Henle over Wheelock's. Though, the truth is that Latin should be taught in the same way we teach modern languages, by immersion.

Bear with me, too, but I would strongly urge you not to use Wheelock's. In my experience, the examples and practices exercises are too short to build the skills necessary to actually read Latin. If you are set on using a grammar based approach, I'd recommend Henle over Wheelock's. Though, the truth is that Latin should be taught in the same way we teach modern languages, by immersion.

Why do you prefer Henle over Wheelock's? I haven't actually looked at Henle much because I prefer secular materials, but it's not completely out of the question.

Why do you prefer Henle over Wheelock's? I haven't actually looked at Henle much because I prefer secular materials, but it's not completely out of the question.

Ultimately it has to be a matter of personal preference and what works --- so, if Wheelock's works for you and it's what you prefer, have at it!

To the point, I do not understand the pedagogical point of Wheelock's, in a number of places. I'll give three examples: First, in chapter one (if memory serves) there's the expression, amabo te --- literally, I will love you; it means please. The verb is a future active indicative, followed by a pronoun --- this is in chapter one in which the present active indicative is (mostly) the issue. To be honest, in a sense, I'm all for "amabo te" being thrown in --- my main problem is that it's never heard from again.

Second, the vocabulary is littered with copious parenthetical English words --- many of which the student will not know, or rarely use. I fail to see how this helps the student with Latin. (Yes, I use Latin to build English vocabulary, but not when I'm teaching Latin. To some extent, Henle suffers this problem, too.)

Third sentences and passages to translate are littered with notes, which to me indicates that sufficient material has not been covered to give the sentence in the first place. The student is left in a quandary --- is he suppose to know the note? Is he suppose to memorize the note? What?

To Henle --- I agree with you about questioning some of the more overt religious elements in Henle, but pedagogically it seems more on point then Wheelock's. I also like the separation of the grammar from the exercises into different books (you buy the one Henle grammar and use it with all four (?) of the "year books.")

Finally, in support of Wheelock's, I know one adult learner who used Wheelock's ("I did every exercise"), and seems to have liked it and benefited.

For me, I don't use a grammar based approach, though if I need to look up a grammatical point for teaching, Henle's grammar usually fits the bill.

Here's a free preview of Henle. I chose this book for its organization and simplicity, although I've had to use it only orally with DD since it's a smaller book with matching small font. :glare: There are enough exercises for you to skip ones that are overtly religious.

I'm also considering Learn to Read Latin by Andrew Keller, rather than Wheelock's as soon as we are done with Henle 2. There is an extensive sample here. I sure wish more people would use it on this board so that I can get some feedback.:tongue_smilie:

Ultimately it has to be a matter of personal preference and what works --- so, if Wheelock's works for you and it's what you prefer, have at it!

To the point, I do not understand the pedagogical point of Wheelock's, in a number of places. I'll give three examples: First, in chapter one (if memory serves) there's the expression, amabo te --- literally, I will love you; it means please. The verb is a future active indicative, followed by a pronoun --- this is in chapter one in which the present active indicative is (mostly) the issue. To be honest, in a sense, I'm all for "amabo te" being thrown in --- my main problem is that it's never heard from again.

Second, the vocabulary is littered with copious parenthetical English words --- many of which the student will not know, or rarely use. I fail to see how this helps the student with Latin. (Yes, I use Latin to build English vocabulary, but not when I'm teaching Latin. To some extent, Henle suffers this problem, too.)

Third sentences and passages to translate are littered with notes, which to me indicates that sufficient material has not been covered to give the sentence in the first place. The student is left in a quandary --- is he suppose to know the note? Is he suppose to memorize the note? What?

To Henle --- I agree with you about questioning some of the more overt religious elements in Henle, but pedagogically it seems more on point then Wheelock's. I also like the separation of the grammar from the exercises into different books (you buy the one Henle grammar and use it with all four (?) of the "year books.")

Finally, in support of Wheelock's, I know one adult learner who used Wheelock's ("I did every exercise"), and seems to have liked it and benefited.

For me, I don't use a grammar based approach, though if I need to look up a grammatical point for teaching, Henle's grammar usually fits the bill.

Thank you for this detailed answer. I may have to take another look at Henle.

Here's a free preview of Henle. I chose this book for its organization and simplicity, although I've had to use it only orally with DD since it's a smaller book with matching small font. :glare: There are enough exercises for you to skip ones that are overtly religious.

I'm also considering Learn to Read Latin by Andrew Keller, rather than Wheelock's as soon as we are done with Henle 2. There is an extensive sample here. I sure wish more people would use it on this board so that I can get some feedback.:tongue_smilie:

I just discovered Learn to Read Latin today on Amazon, but like you, I couldn't find many reviews. Looks interesting, though.