Menu

Science Help needed / How to prepare for Science APs...

Ds is starting 7th grade this fall.

Science instruction was (intentionally) unstructured until now. He just recently started doing workshops with the local STEM university. He is signed up for a year long math class starting in September, in that same institution.

He is working his way through AoPS Pre-Algebra now, and is signed up for an Algebra online-class in the fall (using Jacobs).

I, myself, followed the typical European track of Biology/Chemistry/Physics from 5th to 10th every year, and, while not passionate about these subjects, was a successful student.

The last two years of my schooling I spent at an IB school and took Biology at the higher level (7).

I am at a loss about where to get started with ds!

AP exams will need to play a huge role when planning his Science sequence, as these are the decisive factors for admission into European universities. We need many APs (5+), by the end of his Junior year. I would like two of these to be Science APs, but at least one is a necessity.

I am tempted to focus on Biology first, to get this one essential AP "out of the way", and then let ds loose to dig deeper into either Chemistry or Physics.

Given the intensity and the sheer mass of information that needs to be mastered for AP Biology, I am considering shooting for 9th grade, as he will have a quite heavy year in 10th (AP Latin & History and other exams, as well).

In this scenario, he could then go on to Chemistry or Physics...

Ds would like to do an Apologia Biology class online.

While I have issues with the YE approach and the integration of religious content into science curricula (Apologia), I am confident we can deal with this (we did in the the past, while glancing over BJU...)

He could then do Apologia Advanced Biology (online) in 8th and AP Biology with PA Homeschoolers /Campbell for 9th.

I would simultaneously slowly work my way through an introductory Chemistry text with him (7th and 8th).

Alternatively, we could do one year in each science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) starting in 7th, and then do Biology AP in 10th...but for the reasons stated above I am hesitant.

Yet another possibility, we could do a "classical" 7th/8th grade sequence (Life-/Earth Science) and jump directly into AP afterwards...

In either case, I am not sure at all about how best "to use" these next two years, which in any case are very important...

I don't want Science to take over our homeschool, as there are other areas I would rather focus on in 7th and 8th (Math, English, French, Latin...FREE TIME!!!)... Otoh, I think we need to use these years to prepare for the "after" (slow and steady...).

Please, inspire me!:)

Thank you for your help!!!

Edited by sahm99

I think it's absolutely essential to have a high school level chemistry course before tackling AP Biology.

My local cc has all sorts of warnings posted about Biology I. It is one of the most frequently dropped and failed courses. The problem is nearly always an inadequate chemistry background. They have a readiness quiz for the biology course which is nearly all chemistry (one question is biochemistry).

Thank you Angie!

...do you think Apologia Chemistry, for example, would be a sufficient introduction and preparation for AP Biology? Ds could then later pick up Chemistry with a "deeper" program.

From what I have seen (through the samples available) Apologia seems like a very gentle, easily accessible introduction into the different HS sciences. Does that assessment sound right?

My dd did AP Bio in 9th and AP Chem in 10th and is doing AP Physics in 11th. She felt that AP Bio was the easiest AP science.

We didn't use Apologia for the AP's. I researched college texts for the best one. If you go on the College Board website, they have text recommendations there. You can also google AP biology textbooks and get recommendations from that list.

I have another post that talked about a website that my dd and her friends put together to help support each other during the AP process.

They just added (at our request) a Mom's section. The website is designed by students for students to support and help each other with AP's. There is also some great information on what worked for them and what didn't.

When your ready.... come check it out. https://sites.google.com/site/apstudi/home

Deb

Thank you Deb!

It is reassuring to hear about your daughter! Her science/AP progression is my ideal...;)

My impression concerning difficulty of the 3 APs is the same - that Biology, while a huge undertaking, is the one most easily accessible for the younger crowd (9th/10th grade).

I don't intend to use Apologia for AP prep, but rather as a gentle intro into the subject before the actual AP class (during these next two years...)

What did your daughter do for 7th and 8th grade?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by sahm99

Thank you Deb!

It is reassuring to hear about your daughter! Her science/AP progression is my ideal...;)

My impression concerning difficulty of the 3 APs is the same - that Biology, while a huge undertaking, is the one most easily accessible for the younger crowd (9th/10th grade).

I don't intend to use Apologia for AP prep, but rather as a gentle intro into the subject before the actual AP class (during these next two years...)

What did your daughter do for 7th and 8th grade?

Thank you for your help!

She used General Science (Apologia) for 7th and Physical Science (Apologia) for 8th. Then we jumped right into the AP's for 9th grade. Science is her love -- that makes it so much easier.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Deb

Thanks again, Deb!

So, would you suggest to rather do the General-/Pysical Science combo for 7th and 8th, instead of the two Apologia Biology books?

I am worried that ds will be overwhelmed with AP Biology, without the Apologia Biology prep...:confused:

I went back to re-read your original post. Why not change out General Science for a Bio science, keeping Physical science (if he is planning on taking Physics later on).

Then you could do Bio in 9th, Chem 10th, Physics in 11th. That will give him quite a bit for them to see by his Jr. year.

Another option is to have him work through an Apologia text during summer break. One hour per day early in the day wouldn't hinder summer fun!

Sometimes looking at the end goal and working backwards is the best thing to do. Helps you to know where you need to focus.

Deb

AP exams will need to play a huge role when planning his Science sequence, as these are the decisive factors for admission into European universities.

I don't know which European universities you are planning on applying to, but you should also take note of requirements for sciences (and humanities) and when...

Eg. if he's applying to an engineering school, it can occur that they ask for certain science (s) the senior year, or the last two or three years before graduation.

Joan

Thank you Joan!

...I can imagine this being the case for Physics, maybe Chemistry. Do you believe it applies equally to Biology? (with Biology AP in 9th beeing a disadvantage)

As for the Humanities...I am a bit less concerned, as ds is literally obsessed with anything relating to history - if it was for him, he would get started with APs tomorrow.:lol:

We will need to make a much more conscious effort for science (in general, and as far as potential APs are concerned).

Edited by sahm99

...I can imagine this being the case for Physics, maybe Chemistry. Do you believe it applies equally to Biology? (with Biology AP in 9th beeing a disadvantage)

Well, here in Switzerland, the general requirement is to have studied each of the three sciences in the last three years (not necessarily all at once), but at least one a year is my understanding. (But I did see some European school where the student had to have studied physics the last two years).

But if your ds is graduating after 11th grade, it won't be a problem. Otherwise, you would need to do bio again in 12...

See this page..

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

If your kiddo is going to school in Europe, why wouldn't you be doing an IB or A Level program? I'm really clueless on how to get into a European school.

Would the Oxford website under admissions help you?

...one cannot homeschool through the IB...and I am not really interested in the A levels, as we are not British, and wouldn't have a particular reason to do these rather than APs...

At this point I want to keep as many doors as possible open, which includes selective European universities and the US, too.

I have been to the Oxford, etc. site, and am generally confident about our course of study. The only thing I am still wondering about, are the details of how to best use 7th and 8th grade to prepare for an early science AP (9th, 10th at the latest), and possibly a second (third?:tongue_smilie:) science AP after that...

The only thing I am still wondering about, are the details of how to best use 7th and 8th grade to prepare for an early science AP (9th, 10th at the latest), and possibly a second (third?) science AP after that...

Thank you for asking. I've been wondering the same thing. :)

Oldest ds is STEM oriented. I'm really interested in Deb's dd's AP Bio in 9th, AP Chem in 10th, and AP Physics in 11th progression.

Thank you for asking. I've been wondering the same thing. :)

Oldest ds is STEM oriented. I'm really interested in Deb's dd's AP Bio in 9th, AP Chem in 10th, and AP Physics in 11th progression.

Heather,

While visiting some of the colleges that my dd is interested in - here are some of the things she is hearing:

1. Like the fact that she's taken latin from a young age and continued with it.

2. Like the fact that she can really speak the language she's taken (French).

3. They like to see that each student takes the most challenging courses for them.

We visited many of the colleges when she was a rising Jr. They told her that they would like to see Calc and Physics in Jr. year as it makes the student stand out from the rest.

She's going to take Physics C (both parts) in her Sr. year.

Deb