Menu

Significant differences between the 1st ed and 3rd ed of WTM?

IIRC, the general ideas are the same, with some tweaking here and there, but some of the recommended resources have changed. Some of the recommended books from 1st and 2nd editions are no longer in print, or weren't when the 3rd edition came out.

I have the first version, but I am fairly sure that there was something significant added in a later version. I know I borrowed a friend's updated WTM and took notes. It might have been a section on how to teach outlining.

:lol: irony

I have both, and you'd think I would have a definitive answer, but I don't. I bought the new edition for the updated resources.

In addition to updated resources, the 3rd ed. has additional material for middle schoolers.

I originally bought the 1st ed. The 2nd ed. seemed to have only new resources (mostly Peace Hill Press, which I already knew about from the boards), so I did not replace.

However, the 3rd ed. had enough changed that I bought it. I'm tight with my money and rarely buy books (use library), but this was well worth it to me. Like everyone else, I only have vague recollections though!)

If you have never bought it, it's definitely worth the few extra $ to buy the current edition. And if someone has the 1st ed., it's also worth it to update.

After writing the first edition, the authors then went on to write a series of books to be used in the homeschool, for history and language arts. These replace the other resources suggested in the first edition. You can see them by clicking on the Peace Hill Press picture at the top of this page.

I bought the third, and found the first at a used book sale.