Menu

Need suggestions for 6th grade grammar

Here's my review:

Analytical Grammar website is http://www.analyticalgrammar.com. The videos at the website do a great job of explaining the program. We are using Analytical Grammar for 6th-7th-8th grade. AG breaks it up into 3 seasons. 6th grade has 10 weeks of daily grammar work, then review 1x every 2 weeks. 7th grade has 7 weeks of daily grammar work, then review 1x every month. 8th grade has 17 weeks of daily grammar work and then you are done. It can be completed in 1 or 2 years as well. We have completed Season 1 and are reviewing the rest of the year.

Season 1 - basic grammar (parts of speech, parts of a sentence, basics of diagramming

Season 2 - advanced grammar (verbal phrases and subordinate clauses) (this completes the study of grammar)

Season 3 - application of grammatical knowledge to the rules of capitalization, punctuation and usage

Pros:

• Clear and concise

• Pick up and go (little to no preparation required from mom)

• Teach lesson on first day of week and student can work on their own for rest of week. Only checking/correcting required from mom.

• Each lesson has a theme (American flag, humorous Johnny Carson story, women & math, Mexican-Americans, Martin Luther King Jr., Jewish Americans, fairy tales, etc.) which makes the lessons more interesting.

• Sentences are much more complex than Shurley grammar. The review paragraphs are from real books (in other words, the sentences are not made up especially for grammar parsing).

• Novelty of getting a letter grade on test

• Comfort of letter grade for perfectionist mom (ds is missing some but still getting an A)

• Student book turns into a reference manual when you remove student exercises.

Cons:

• None that I have found

• Some say it’s expensive. I spent $120 but will use it over 3 years.

Disclaimer: I have a master’s degree in Operations Research, which is concerned with all things efficiency. Part of the reason I love AG is that it is the most efficient use of my time and my child’s time. This leaves time for other wonderful things like math, history, music, and sports! I suppose if you are a good teacher and you teach grammar year after year after year, you learn to make your lessons more and more efficient. That must be with the author, Robin Finley, did.

http://www.studygrammar.com/index.php

I recommend Hake Grammar. They offer grades 5-8th. It is designed after Saxon Math. One of the biggest selling points for us was that it includes diagramming and spirals. In terms of remembering the concepts, this has been the best grammar program we've used so far. The program also has a writing component but we don't use that part.

My 12 yo will be in 7th grade, my 11 yo will be in 5th/6th. Neither have had much grammar experience, except in Latin, where the 12 yo has done great, the 11 yo needs quite a bit of review and reinforcement. Oh, and I'm calling the 11 yo 5th/6th because age- and maturity-wise she is 6th grade, but her academic skills, including the ability to sit and get her work done, is more on the 5th grade level.

So, does it make sense to start my 7th grader in level 7, or will he miss out on something crucial? I guess I'm thinking of Rod and Staff, where even a beginning 7th grader would start with grade 5.

I am pretty sure my 11 yo should start in level 5, or I may use GWG with her...hmm.

Thanks!

My 12 yo will be in 7th grade, my 11 yo will be in 5th/6th. Neither have had much grammar experience, except in Latin, where the 12 yo has done great, the 11 yo needs quite a bit of review and reinforcement. Oh, and I'm calling the 11 yo 5th/6th because age- and maturity-wise she is 6th grade, but her academic skills, including the ability to sit and get her work done, is more on the 5th grade level.

So, does it make sense to start my 7th grader in level 7, or will he miss out on something crucial? I guess I'm thinking of Rod and Staff, where even a beginning 7th grader would start with grade 5.

I am pretty sure my 11 yo should start in level 5, or I may use GWG with her...hmm.

Thanks!

My 9 and 11 yr old are almost finished with Hake 5th and they're doing great with it so I would recommend you can easily begin at whatever grade level they are working at. I would think your 11 yr old could do well with 5th or 6th and the older one in 7th. That is what I would do. You might want to call the Publisher for Hake to see if they can offer any suggestions on placement. But I really think you could just do grade level and be fine. :)

And is that 5 days a week?

Yes, the first year is 10weeks of grammar 5x a week about an hour a day. After 10 weeks, there is review/reinforcement 1x every 2 weeks about an hour.

2nd year is 7 weeks of grammar, I believe 4x a week. I hope it's also an hour a day. We haven't started that yet, but soon...After the 7 weeks, there is review/reinforcement 1x every month.

3rd year is 17 weeks of grammar 4x a week. Then you are done with grammar.

The videos at the website do a great job of explaining the program.

I second the motion for Analytical Grammar. It's a great plan to use over several years, with plenty of review. If you want to add writing, It's very easy to plug in Writing Strands between reviews after you've worked on your grammar core at the beginning of the year.

• 4 weeks later...