Menu

Anyone familiar with the Moore Formula Manual?

Night Elf

A homeschooling mom who was graduating her youngest gave it to me the first year I started homeschooling my oldest. She told me she hated to give it up, and she sighed a lot as she handed me the binder. :lol:

I never got much use out of it (we're more formal in our educational requirements) and gave it to a new homeschooler last year. It does have wonderful suggestions for field trips and projects and learning opportunities without textbooks. I wouldn't want to pay $70 for it right now, but I probably would if our homeschool was less classical in nature. Does that make sense?

I appreciate the answers. I decided to finally purchase it. I've posted some of the issues I'm having with my son Jeffrey. He'll be 12 next month. He's just an entirely different individual than my daughter Allison, a great academic student. I think I need a whole different path for Jeffrey. I've been thinking for quite a while that I need to get him involved in some type of work. I just don't have any ideas because the natural choices aren't workable. He can't mow lawns or have a paper route. We don't live in that kind of area. There must be something we can do as a team. A paper route would have us up super duper early in the morning, but I guess I'll have to do what I have to do. He's needs so much more than academics right now. I wish we were involved in a church but he's too literal for religion (that's my guess at least). His Aspergers throws me out of whack! :)

Thanks ladies!

I loved mine! It was hard to let it go.... I could never find one used and that was... gosh... 9 years ago?? We also had a yahoogroup for support at one point..... I went from straight boxed curriculum to this.... This is also the time I learned about unit studies, good habits and school/work/service being accomplished daily... service was More weekly but the other 2.....

I cant recommend the Moore's books enough... especially to the new homeschooler.... Better late than early is one of my favorites and the successful home school family handbook.... that was the first one I ever read.... and it was a breath a fresh air..... it help give me perspective and confidence in what I wanted to do....

I hate to say it... because you probably have not looked at the guide yet.... but its worth the $$ in my book.... it sure has gone up in price... but I still think its worth it....

If you have any specific questions I will try to answer.... I have not read all the responses yet.... but will now...

I appreciate the answers. I decided to finally purchase it. I've posted some of the issues I'm having with my son Jeffrey. He'll be 12 next month. He's just an entirely different individual than my daughter Allison, a great academic student. I think I need a whole different path for Jeffrey. I've been thinking for quite a while that I need to get him involved in some type of work. I just don't have any ideas because the natural choices aren't workable. He can't mow lawns or have a paper route. We don't live in that kind of area. There must be something we can do as a team. A paper route would have us up super duper early in the morning, but I guess I'll have to do what I have to do. He's needs so much more than academics right now. I wish we were involved in a church but he's too literal for religion (that's my guess at least). His Aspergers throws me out of whack! :)

Thanks ladies!

well shoot... I guess I should have read further first! *Ü*

I don't think you will be dissapointed... These resources really set me on my path to my own self discovery of what true education was and it also aided me to develop my own philosophy and live it out.... not just talk about it ya know....

I love the Moore's books all of them.... I love CM.... I love Classical.... and yet found my own rhythm and idea for each of my kids... because one size does not fit all... thats for sure....

I look forward to hearing what you think about it.... I know I'm repeating myself... but that first school year after reading through my manual and a few books.... it was like a breath of fresh air....

Best of luck!

I'm purchasing directly from the Moore Foundation.

When we began our homeschooling journey about five years ago I purchased it. Being new to homeschooling, I hadn't really figured out our "philosophy". In retrospect, I wish I would have kept it.

The Moore's were/are proponents of 1/3 work, 1/3 service, 1/3 academics. This is likely primarily why you don't see classical homeschoolers using this manual.

The farther I get along in this journey, the more value I see in work and service when you're focusing on God centering the character of your child. In my experience, it seems that people that have been taught to work, are required to work and volunteer some of their time for others, are generally happier and more stable.

I remember reading that the Moore Foundation produced Rhodes Scholars who spent only about 3 hours a day on academics! Of course they were pursuing usefull work and service opportunites outside of this, but there's something to it. Very grounding. I find myself very attracted to this philosophy now.

I think you'll be glad you purchased the manual and if not, it will likely be easy to sell.

W

Hi Beth,

I was going to throw out a few ideas for service and volunteer work:

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

4-H

Boy Scouts

Also try a Google of your state and "volunteer." We live in a very needy and hurting world, and I am sure that your son could really make a difference by volunteering!

I'm not sure about the too literal for religion part of your post, because I am very literal and am also very Christian. :001_smile: Christianity is not an ethereal religion based on clouds, mist and hidden mysticism. I find it very concrete.

I hope you find the Moor Formula helpful in some way, and I hope you post your review! Work and service are integral to our homeschool, but I didn't know there was a Handbook for it! I learn so much from these boards. :bigear::bigear:

The Moores apparently do not believe in reading any fiction. I just saw this on their website at the FAQ section:

"20. QUESTION: My problem is cooperation. I can't get my 6th grade daughter to respond to my teaching, or cooperate in doing her lessons. She balks at every assignment I give her. The work isn't hard for her, she just won't get it done. She reads very well and always has a book in her hand. She loves fiction and mystery stories.

Answer: Your problem is not really cooperation; your problem is the type of material your daughter is reading. It is affecting her the same way that alcohol effects the drunkard; the more he gets, the more he wants. The strange fascination and bewitching power of fiction will eventually unfit her for any real usefulness she could have in this world.

What should you do? Find activities, field trips and work experience that will take her time. Help her develop a small personal home business. Supply her with a limited number of true, thought-provoking stories, such as we carry at the Moore Foundation. Depending on the personality of your daughter, you may want to let her know you are concerned that reading this type of material is destroying her love of learning. Tell her that you are supplying something better, but that time to read even this type of material will be more limited. Pray often for her and with her. After trying these suggestions, you may want to consider paid counseling from a Moore Academy counselor."

Interesting, to put it mildly. :scared:

They have a few different ideas .... but it doesnt take away from the fact that they have an idea that aids people in teaching their children or even a philosophy......... I guess I try not to throw the baby out with the bath water..... ;)

They also have religious beliefs I dont adhear to... but it doesnt mean they 20 something years of educational/homeschool reaserch they have done is bad either....

They were very loving caring people, who belived a few different things than I do... but I have nothing but the highest/deepest respect for both Mr. and Mrs. Moore...

Just my perspective ;)

The Moores apparently do not believe in reading any fiction. I just saw this on their website at the FAQ section:

"20. QUESTION: My problem is cooperation. I can't get my 6th grade daughter to respond to my teaching, or cooperate in doing her lessons. She balks at every assignment I give her. The work isn't hard for her, she just won't get it done. She reads very well and always has a book in her hand. She loves fiction and mystery stories.

Answer: Your problem is not really cooperation; your problem is the type of material your daughter is reading. It is affecting her the same way that alcohol effects the drunkard; the more he gets, the more he wants. The strange fascination and bewitching power of fiction will eventually unfit her for any real usefulness she could have in this world.

Interesting, to put it mildly. :scared:

Did I imply anything negative about the Moore's research or character? I hope not - I know next to nothing about them personally. I think it's nice to have all the information before plunking down a large chunk of change for the Manual. Would you consider the avoidance of fiction an essential part of the Moore Formula?

Oh no... not of th reaserch or character...:)

I would agree about being informed about the manual....and no the fiction has nothing to do w/ implamenting the formula.... the formula is as stated above study/work/service at age appraopriate levels catering to interest and desires..... Not reading fiction...... I suppose for me it would be the same as someone not wanting kids to read abreviated versions of classics... Some read it.. some dont... they are in the dont for fiction.... It would have zero affect on how I would use their formula.... Hope that made sense....

I will say Im sorry if I made you feel defensive in any way.... not my intent... The way I read your post did come across negative to me... and I should have asked what you meant before I typed. :) So I am truly sorry Tami... please forgive me....

I love the Moores very much.... It was his book and Focus on the family radio brodcast w/ him on it that placed me on a path to seek and find....and got me out of the canned curriculum cycle and into living books....... and as Janice in NJ says... taught me to enjoy my little people...

Did I imply anything negative about the Moore's research or character? I hope not - I know next to nothing about them personally. I think it's nice to have all the information before plunking down a large chunk of change for the Manual. Would you consider the avoidance of fiction an essential part of the Moore Formula?

Hi Lisa,

I just wanted to clarify what I meant. Nothing to apologize for, my dear. I have never read anything by the Moore's and know next to nothing about them. Their stance on fiction and the way they recommended counseling for a child who enjoys it just strikes me as a bit on the extreme side. The language used in the FAQ post is a little strong for my taste.

I've never heard of this before - where have I been?

you are so sweet... :grouphug:

and I agree.. it is strong... I always ignored it... the folks who ran the yahoo group I used to be on (years ago) felt the same way... I remember recommending a series... and it is escaping me now... but the little girl was homeschooled and she and her family traveled all over.... I loved them... Christian loved them... but the woman on the yahoo group "strongly" warned the woman I suggested them tonot to read them.... ok that was awkward... They hadnt even read them!

I took that as folks taking it to an extreme....ya think? sheesh... but these same woman also introduced me to Charlotte Mason...... So it wasn’t all bad!

I don’t have my manual anymore, but it took a long time for me to let it go... lots of good nuggets and a good frame work to work with...

Night... Im about to turn into a pumpkin! Its my bedtime.....

Hi Lisa,

I just wanted to clarify what I meant. Nothing to apologize for, my dear. I have never read anything by the Moore's and know next to nothing about them. Their stance on fiction and the way they recommended counseling for a child who enjoys it just strikes me as a bit on the extreme side. The language used in the FAQ post is a little strong for my taste.

I've never heard of this before - where have I been?

Tami, thanks for the ideas of service/work. I had done a search last year wanting to get my children involved in something for Christmas since we don't belong to a church and I couldn't find anything that accepted help from kids. I'll try again.

As for the Moore's philosophies, I don't agree with everything I've read on their site. And yes I've read every word. But I guess I'm used to taking only what applies to me and feeling no pressure to drop the things I don't agree with. I remember laughing when I read that bit about the fiction books. I can see where a problem can occur in the type of things someone reads but I'm not a huge fan of extremism and I think banning it all is very bad. But I have the same attitude when I see homeschoolers on this board talk about having no tv, or not allowing their children to have any or very limited screen time. I'm sure it works for them but it isn't something that I feel the need to do in my family at all.

As for my son being too literal for religion, I'm not sure how else to put it. I've taken him to church, talked to him about God, read him parts of the Bible, and read other religious books to him. He doesn't get it. It's not something he can see, hear or touch. He's not good with feeling things that aren't happening to him directly. For example, he may enjoy the story he reads in a book, but he's never been affected like I have with stories. I can get very emotional when watching a movie, tv show, or reading a book. He just doesn't feel such emotion and thinks it's really odd that I could get emotionally vested in something that really has nothing to do with me.

As for the Moore's philosophies, I don't agree with everything I've read on their site. And yes I've read every word. But I guess I'm used to taking only what applies to me and feeling no pressure to drop the things I don't agree with.

I told you I take things literally! :D

I am praying that this works out well for you. This is reminding me to make more time in my month for service. Our church is having a clothing drive for a homeless shelter, and I'm going to go through our stuff today! My dd packed bag lunches and brought them to the homeless with our church group a couple of weeks ago, and she really enjoys the feeling of helping others. I need to keep service on my radar screen, as I KNOW it is so vital, but life gets busy and I get distracted.:driving:

The Moore's were/are proponents of 1/3 work, 1/3 service, 1/3 academics. This is likely primarily why you don't see classical homeschoolers using this manual. W

BTW, W, I'm not sure if you're new to this board or not, since you only have 30 posts, but you'll find people from all walks of life and with all kinds of experience posting on this board. It's very cool! There are many of us who have experience with other methods of homeschooling besides classical which is why I posted the question. And sure enough, I got some really great responses! And not all people who post on this board are classical educators. This just happens to be a very popular homeschooling board and I think there are people here who homeschool nearly every way possible, including unschooling. :)

Another idea for your son...Volunteer at the library. My daughter did that this year. Only 2 hours once a week but she had alot of fun and with gas prices...you could easily hang out at the library until he is done. It also helped her learn good library skills...(looking up books etc.)

Another idea for your son...Volunteer at the library. My daughter did that this year. Only 2 hours once a week but she had alot of fun and with gas prices...you could easily hang out at the library until he is done. It also helped her learn good library skills...(looking up books etc.)

Another idea for an aspiring baker. Since my dd likes to bake, she has baked banana muffins and sold them for $2 a piece. She sells them in our neighborhood and they sell out quickly. She tracks who she sold to, how many they ordered, and how much she makes. This week, she is making cookies and selling them. Just another work idea.

"school" lessons / work / service has played a part in our HS journey. Now that my dd & ds#1 are in their teens the work / service parts play a much bigger part in our week. Both dd & ds#1 are working on their Duke of Edinburgh Challenge Awards. Dd has completed her bronze award & working on her silver. Ds#1 has just begun working on his bronze. DOE is made up of 4 parts (service, skill, physical, & expedition). The gold award adds in a residential componant as well. This balance is much the same as found in the Moore Formula. Each section requires a comitment of ~1 hour / week over 4,6,or 12 months, depending on the level beings worked on. Dd volunteers ~2 hours a week at the SPCA & the extra hour helps to cover weeks she's unable to help due to illness, etc. I've set up with the library for ds#1 to help out 1-2 hours a week. Regular volunteer work can provide that all-important character reference for the first "real" job or tertiary education.

JMHO,

BTW, W, I'm not sure if you're new to this board or not, since you only have 30 posts

Night Elf, this is Wanda of the old boards. She changed her name to Magic Wand a couple of years ago. Back when you were kbm:o) She just hasn't been posting as much on these new boards as some of us.

Did I remember correctly?

Night Elf, this is Wanda of the old boards. She changed her name to Magic Wand a couple of years ago. Back when you were kbm:o) She just hasn't been posting as much on these new boards as some of us.

Ok, that's cool. I was responding to her sentence, "This is likely primarily why you don't see classical homeschoolers using this manual." That implies I wouldn't get many responses on this homeschool board for the manual. However, I knew I'd get responses because of the diversity of this community.

Yes, Mom2abcd, you remember correctly. Wanda (aka Magic Wand) hasn't been posting very much this school year.