Menu

Exercise gurus-please motivate me-already exercising 5 days a week...

For what? I did Couch to 5K four years ago. This was the first significant exercise I'd ever done. Since then I've jogged an average of 3 days a week for 45 minutes each time. Since mid-January, I've been taking an exercise class twice a week. It's a one hour class that uses light hand weights with lots of reps and cardio--think Julian Michaels 30 Day Shred, but lasting one hour.

I see little results from all of this. Yes, I have plenty of energy as the jogging has kept me aerobically fit. However, I'd like to lose 5-10 pounds. I'm within the range of weight based on my height. I have a small frame, though, so being on the low side of this range would look better. I'm not eating more than usual. I am 46 years old, so this may be part of the issue as to why the scale isn't moving.

So I ask, why am I going to this trouble? Adding in the exercise class has not given any results that I can tell. My jogging isn't faster or easier. I'm not getting muscle definition. I'm not losing weight. The only advantage, I think, is that I'm hopefully helping my body ward off osteoporosis. (I have several risk factors: family history, small frame, and fair skin.)

I exercise because I should, not because I enjoy it. I wouldn't mind having the extra time that exercise is taking. (Five days a week for 45 minutes-1 hour.)

So, why am I doing this, and why should I continue?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I hear you! Honestly, I think weight has more to do with food than exercise.

Here's my story: I started working out in earnest about five years ago. I was running a lot - I run half marathons and even trained for a full. I started all the Beachbody programs - doing P90X, Insanity and Asylum (all while continuing to run). This should have taken weight off - right? I'd go through periods where I could see a difference and my stomach looked better, but it never looked great. My weight fluctuated around 5 pounds. Very frustrating.

I ate well. Very well. All whole foods, mostly organic. My treats were rare and small.

Last year, I tried Weight Watchers. I was weighing and measuring EVERYTHING I put into my mouth. I was amazed at how much less I should've been eating! I lost weight and lots of inches and felt great. But, that gets old. I wanted to eat and not have to worry about it so much. So, the weight came back on. (again - only about 5 − 10 pounds,but it was enough to make me depressed!)

Fast forward to this year. I needed a break from all the exercising and I needed a plan. So, I bought Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution. I'm following her eating plan to a T. And, I'm losing the inches (not the weight yet, but inches). I don't credit the Jillian program, but I do appreciate the easier workouts! I credit the reduced calories. It makes me so sad and even angry, but I'm coming to the conclusion that I just can't eat like I used to. Or drink, for that matter. I cut out all alcohol too. So, now alcohol will be an occasional treat instead of a 5 night a week thing. (One glass)

Anyway, that's my story. Try finding a diet plan and sticking with it (count and measure everything!!!). Keep working out. See if that works. I could see a difference within a few days, which was very motivating. I'm GOING to stick with this.

Good luck!

I started Couch to 5K in November, finished in January. Since then I have been running pretty regularly every weekday night. I stay right around the half-hour mark, and vary my speed a bit.

I never saw any weight loss come from my running, but I believe it has other health benefits -- as you mentioned, the osteoporosis issue (I also have a family history), heart health; and I hope I'm being a better example to my kids, who often will come out with me instead of sitting at the tv or computer.

I added in a stretching/weights session after each run, which basically amounts to about 15 min of stretching (feels sooo good!) and then some sit-ups, push-ups, hand weights work, etc. I actually saw more results after I added that, not from weight loss per se but a tighter physique.

The weight only really started a steady downturn once I got serious about looking at what (and how much) I was eating.

So for me exercise hasn't done much for weight loss directly, but it makes me more aware of my body and how I fuel it :) , I'm more likely to choose something healthy after a workout. It makes me mentally healthier (getting rid of tension/stress). And I am convinced it has other benefits (heart and bone health) that may not be immediately apparent.

hth!

So I ask, why am I going to this trouble? Adding in the exercise class has not given any results that I can tell. My jogging isn't faster or easier. I'm not getting muscle definition. I'm not losing weight. The only advantage, I think, is that I'm hopefully helping my body ward off osteoporosis. (I have several risk factors: family history, small frame, and fair skin.)

I exercise because I should, not because I enjoy it. I wouldn't mind having the extra time that exercise is taking. (Five days a week for 45 minutes-1 hour.)

So, why am I doing this, and why should I continue?

Hi Lisa, :grouphug:

One of the most significant things I have learned in my research into fitness is that exercise does not cause weight loss. It helps maintain weight loss that has already happened and it also helps prevent additional weight gain, but by itself, it will not cause you to lose weight.

The way to lose weight is to reduce your calories. The saying goes, "You can't out exercise a bad diet." I'm not saying you have a bad diet, but if you are eating more calories than you burn, then you will not lose weight. I feel your pain. I am 44, and it is much harder to get the pounds off than it was just a few years ago.

Here is an article about weight and exercise and diet that you may find helpful.

http://www.chanhassenfitnessrevolution.com/you-are-what-you-eat-you-cant-out-exercise-a-bad-diet/

I had to cut out 'hidden' calories in my diet. I didn't realize how many calories I was really eating. Once I started cutting calories, I saw faster weight reduction.

I hope this helps some :)

Have you considered seeking out an exercise you enjoy? I usually dance 8-10 hours a week in all of the classes I take and teach. I would NEVER 'exercise' that much because I don't love it. What do you love? Gardening? Yoga? Borrowing the neighbor's toddler and jog stroller (added weight AND community service)? Hiking? Tennis? Kayaking?

Can you dabble in classes and adventures until you find one that's obsession-worthy to you?

I see little results from all of this. Yes, I have plenty of energy as the jogging has kept me aerobically fit....

So I ask, why am I going to this trouble? Adding in the exercise class has not given any results that I can tell. My jogging isn't faster or easier. I'm not getting muscle definition. I'm not losing weight. The only advantage, I think, is that I'm hopefully helping my body ward off osteoporosis....

I exercise because I should, not because I enjoy it.

It sounds like you are focusing on the lack of weight loss. From my reading, exercise is great for health, but not very helpful for weight loss. Being aerobically fit and fending off osteoporosis are important.

If you want more benefits (other than weight loss), here are my suggestions:

-Start lifting weights twice a week. Use the heaviest weight you can lift 8-10 times. Do one set of each exercise. (Some research suggests that using one set rather than three gives almost the same benefit, but with a much shorter workout.) Increase the weight once you can do 10 reps of an exercise. If you want to build muscle and look stronger, you need to lift weights. Jogging alone isn't enough.

-Once a week add some high intensity interval training (HIIT)/sprints to your workout. Sprinting uses different muscle fibers and biochemical pathways than endurance exercise. It also helps with your endurance exercise.

-Don't forget to stretch after working out, to increase flexibility.

-Find a sport of activity you love. Jog once a week, sprint once a week, lift weights twice, and just do something you like the other days.

-Focus on health, not weight loss.

-it might be easier to lift weights for six months and see muscle definition than to loose weight.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I hear you! Honestly, I think weight has more to do with food than exercise.

Here's my story: I started working out in earnest about five years ago. I was running a lot - I run half marathons and even trained for a full. I started all the Beachbody programs - doing P90X, Insanity and Asylum (all while continuing to run). This should have taken weight off - right? I'd go through periods where I could see a difference and my stomach looked better, but it never looked great. My weight fluctuated around 5 pounds. Very frustrating.

I ate well. Very well. All whole foods, mostly organic. My treats were rare and small.

Last year, I tried Weight Watchers. I was weighing and measuring EVERYTHING I put into my mouth. I was amazed at how much less I should've been eating! I lost weight and lots of inches and felt great. But, that gets old. I wanted to eat and not have to worry about it so much. So, the weight came back on. (again - only about 5 − 10 pounds,but it was enough to make me depressed!)

Fast forward to this year. I needed a break from all the exercising and I needed a plan. So, I bought Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution. I'm following her eating plan to a T. And, I'm losing the inches (not the weight yet, but inches). I don't credit the Jillian program, but I do appreciate the easier workouts! I credit the reduced calories. It makes me so sad and even angry, but I'm coming to the conclusion that I just can't eat like I used to. Or drink, for that matter. I cut out all alcohol too. So, now alcohol will be an occasional treat instead of a 5 night a week thing. (One glass)

Anyway, that's my story. Try finding a diet plan and sticking with it (count and measure everything!!!). Keep working out. See if that works. I could see a difference within a few days, which was very motivating. I'm GOING to stick with this.

Good luck!

Awww....:grouphug:

Calories in/calories out

As I age, I find that foods are having different effects on me. As a child, milk was awesome for me, now it makes me fat. So sad. Same thing with steamed rice. Can't do it anymore. It never made me ill or fat as a child or young adult. Now, I just walk away.

I can't say with any certainty why you're not realizing weight loss - there are so many factors that can be in play there - but are you saying you're also not seeing any change in body composition?

So, muscles adapt pretty readily to doing one thing over and over again. If you're running at the same pace,more or less, all the time, they've adapted. You might want to try interval training - flat out sprint for x time/distance, then jog for x time/distance - or simply switching up your cardio: bike, take a cardio class, use an elliptical, etc.

On strength: I always tell clients it's a moving target. You want failure. If you can finish 2 sets of 10-12 reps, it's time to up the weight. Likewise, in a strength training or sculpt class, don't use weights that are comfortable the whole time. You want to be challenged. I encourage students in my classes to take 2 sets of dumbbells to their spot, one to challenge them when we do biceps curls, chest presses, etc, and one to use when we're working smaller, less-used muscles, like when we do reverse fly. Your biceps are just stronger than your rear deltoids: they're bigger, used more and to carry heavier loads in daily living. And I work them hard. We do supersets of three or four exercises, 8 reps each, 4 rounds through the set, and everyone struggles at least with the last round of each. (yes, they do call me unflattering names)

The exercise will significantly lower your odds of developing heart disease, breast and other cancers, and cognitive decline. That's a lot of reasons to keep exercising! Just like teens need to be reminded that "It won't happen to me" as far as car accidents, etc., adults need to keep in mind that they are not going to be young all their lives and these things could very well happen to them without prevention.

I hate jogging myself. You can get a very similar aerobic benefit with fast walking, which I like. You get more benefit all round with a couple shorter sessions than with one long session. (Calorie burn goes up right after you exercise for several hours, so a 20 min session in the morning and a 25 min session late afternoon would give you more benefit than one 45 min session.) Also, you can decrease your total time if you do intervals (1-2 minutes of working hard alternating with 1-2 min of working at a moderate pace) with the same health benefit.

I think it's important to find an exercise you do love. I really enjoy the beauty of being outside, so walking at a fast pace where I'm not hurting while I'm exercising (I don't like the feeling of jogging) is perfect for me. I also like dance tapes. You might prefer an elliptical machine while you watch movies or listen to an audio book or swimming or tennis or playing basketball with your kids. Just find something you like.

As far as the weight loss is concerned, what you eat affects your weight more than exercise. I've read recently that 2 days of a low carb diet without calorie restriction with the rest of the week eating normally works better than constant calorie restriction. Try things like not eating dinner past 6:00 and only eating protein if you need a snack later on, or add a salad before lunch and dinner with oil and vinegar (preferably apple cider) dressing. (The vinegar itself helps with restricting blood sugar surges from any carbs you consume in the meal following. But focusing too much on weight loss can result in weight loss and then rebound. It happens to most people. So if you're only a tad overweight, it might be better to concentrate on not gaining weight (rather than on losing 10 and gaining back 15.) People who do accomplish long-term weight loss exercise about an hour a day even after the weight is off. Your sleep is also an issue to check. If you get less than a full night's sleep, you'll gain weight because of the disturbance in your hormone levels.

I am in the "Focus on health, not on weight loss" camp.

I suggest T-tapp and/or Callanetics and focus on inch-loss and toning, not weight-loss.

I do and love both. They both create long lean muscles for an elegant body without weights.

I have the newer CardioCallanetics, but I prefer (and get better results from) the one from the 80's called 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours. The leotards and the music are a bit cheesy, but it's very effective.

Brush the skin to firm it up and keep it from sagging as your muscles cinch you in like a girdle. :)

Edited by Rene'

I suggest T-tapp and/or Callanetics and focus on inch-loss and toning' date=' not weight-loss.

I do and love both. They both create long lean muscles for an elegant body without weights.

I have the newer CardioCallanetics, but I prefer (and get better results from) the one from the 80's called 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours. The leotards and the music are a bit cheesy, but it's very effective.

Brush the skin to firm it up and keep it from sagging as your muscles cinch you in like a girdle. :)[/quote']

HOW does one "brush the skin?" I've never heard of this.