Menu

Anyone deal with incredibly itchy skin during pregnancy?

I do think you should mention it to your doctor in case it's a liver thing, but in the meantime, keep in mind that an ice pack can be helpful. In the winter I get it my skin on my legs that is aggravated with monthly hormone flux. Coconut or olive oil rubdown, light cotton pants help but sometimes an ice pack on my shin is the only thing that helps. Buy a couple of bags of frozen peas and write your name on the bag with a marker - these are your "ice packs"!

Be sure you use a clean, sharp razor when shaving, and a loofah or some other buffer for gently exfoliating in the shower. Moisturizer right when you get out of the shower (my dermatologist says within three minutes!).

For regular lotions my dermatologist recommends CeraVe and Cetaphil best.

Hope this helps. That itching is maddening!

I had PUPPS with my pregnancy that lasted until 2 months after delivery. I was not a happy camper. Ask your OB or request a Dermatology appointment. The only thing that helped was a cortizone cream, steroid injections, and a tea tree oil wash to at least bring the itching down to a annoying level.

Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy (PUPPS) is a rash that affects approximately one out of every two hundred pregnancies. It is the most common of all pregnancy related skin rashes and is most commonly compared to hives. It comes on suddenly and can be extremely itchy. PUPPS starts in the stomach region but can spread to the extremities. Thankfully, PUPPS has never been found to have any lasting effects to the mother or her unborn child. The worst thing about this disease is that it is more of nuisance than anything else. It is ugly, itchy, and uncomfortable.

It could be PUPPPS. Mention it to your doctor. I had it with all my pregnancies but with the last one (#4) it was the worst. I had to go on steroids because I would scratch until I bled. I couldn't wear anything except mu-mu's because anything that touched my skin made me itch and bleed. It finally went away about 2 weeks after delivery. I tried tea tree oil, Sarna, everything I could but nothing really helped until the steroids. That lessened the itch considerably but it came back right at the end of the pregnancy.