Menu

Plan A or Plan B? (or maybe C?)

Plan A or B? (or maybe C?)  

1. 1. Plan A or B? (or maybe C?)

• Plan A
    • Plan B
    • Plan C

Cannot for the life of me decide on language arts... for a to-be-11 year old boy, who loves books, but is not overly fond of writing (though there are improvements in this lately)

PLAN A - The Simple Version

Writing Skills (covers writing and grammar... would I need additional grammar?)

Natural Speller

Lots of reading

PLAN B - The More Complex Version

Brave Writer Lifestyle (Writer's Jungle) AND The Arrow Myth & Legend

Natural Speller (see link above)

Grammar Land alternated with The Sentence Family OR maybe Winston Grammar

PLAN C

Scrap everything above and start over... recommendations?

Just as an aside, have you gotten SWB's plan for writing cd? Might give you some ideas on where the glitch is, why he's not enjoying the writing, and what to do about it. You can always take it out of the box, but the skills remain (thought to word, word to paper, working memory, writing with automaticity, etc.).

You didn't say anything at all about WWS. Is there a reason you're skipping that choice? One thing I'd recommend about it is that it includes sections from stories that the student reads first before writing. I think it is a thorough, yet gentle writing program. Have you used any of the WWE books with this ds? If not, then maybe start with WWE4 and move up to WWS next year.

With that I think your listed spelling program and a good grammar program would be great. BTW, we are going to use Grammarlogues next year and it looks amazing. The program, like WWS, uses actual literature to teach the grammar, and it is an interactive computer based program that makes grammar much more fun for students. HS Co-op has it for sale until the end of this month, and the discount is currently 40% off. Here's a link to learn more about it. I was just thinking that your ds might enjoy something different for part of his LA curriculum. Just a thought...

Blessings,

Lucinda