Menu

2 grade math

Are there any specific things you are looking for in a math program? We are using and loving McRuffy math. It is spiral, the teacher's manual is very easy to use, and there are many "extras"- games, auditory exercises, manipulatives. It has worked really well for us.

Everyone is going to tell you what works for them, but it really depends on your child's learning style, etc... We've tried them ALL, and we've finally landed on CLE Math...love love love it. Spiral without being exhaustive, something they can do almost independently, even in 2nd grade!

Singapore fans here, but yeah, you might want to give more details about your child.

Does he/she struggle with math or fly through it? Does he/she need a lot of review or get bored with review? Does he/she need a lot of manipulatives or prefer pictorial explanations? Does he/she like to write or hate to write? Does he/she need a spiral or mastery curriculum (ie, varied review problems every single day, or most of the problems the same topic each day before moving on to the next)?

He seems to grasps the concepts rather easily, he is in school right now and its very much workbook based and they seems to repeat concepts daily. Primarily he has been doing simple addition, telling time, and money. He seems to have the most difficulty in money. I think its the memorization of the values that gives him the trouble in money. We home schooled years ago but he was just a little one back then. (preschool/kindy, he repeated Kindy) I am not familiar with the math programs. I have friends who use Time 4 Learning online with worksheets for supplements. But other than that I know nothing about math curriculum.

Everyone is going to tell you what works for them, but it really depends on your child's learning style, etc... We've tried them ALL, and we've finally landed on CLE Math...love love love it. Spiral without being exhaustive, something they can do almost independently, even in 2nd grade!

So true. Math is the subject that I struggled the most with to find a good fit. We do CLE plus Life of Fred. Idk if CLE will be a good kit with my k'ner, but my 7yo loves the workbook format.

Huge Saxon Math fan here. Our family tends to be strong in math, and I have found Saxon to be fantastic. Early in our homeschool I used Rod and Staff, Horizons, and BJU. We switched to Saxon 4 years ago and I'll never look back. My oldest daughter's skill level increased dramatically the first year we switched. Even though it's not colorful, my kids love it. My kids' testing scores have shown that Saxon has been extremely effective for them. As a side note, they all hate the teaching DVD's (both DIVE and Saxon Teacher), but they love the curriculum.

Math is one of those things that can be very different for every child. We started with Saxon 1 in kindly and we finished it, but we hated it. :tongue_smilie: at the end of first we switched to Math Mammoth (redid most of first grade) and I can honestly say math is one subject I do not think abut switching at all. We love it. As far as money and those concepts, no matter what curriculum you choose, I suggest using Right Start games. We love them, and my dd learned money effortlessly from playing those games.

I'm planning on using Singapore Math (Standards Edition) with my Gr. 2 next year. She doesn't struggle with math, but neither does she fly through math like an accelerated learner might. I add in the Challenging Word Problems and the Intensive Practice books (1/2 level behind) to build in more review. It's been a good fit for her because the pages are visually overwhelming, and the Home Instructor Guides are excellent in helping me find ideas for how to teach her.

Math Mammoth is another excellent program: it's really inexpensive, academically thorough, and is designed so that the child can work more independently. The only reason I don't use it is that my children find the pages visually overwhelming.

Hope that helps ...