Menu

Cat seems like dying, shot of cortisone for breathing, kitty formula...karo syrup...

So, my kitty who I thought I was putting to sleep(last Tuesday, so a week and a half ago)... but vet said to try one more time... and then I went back a 9 days later for a cortisone shot (first time shot of antibiotics for infection)... is still having a hard time breathing, but I can't tell if it's better... or not. On Thursday she had been eating... Yesterday I started feeding her kitty formula because she didn't seem to be eating. I just added Karo syrup in case she needs it. She was actually sitting up last time we looked. We have a cold air vaporizer going for her in the restroom.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had a cat that seemed almost dead...but for whatever reason it came back. Anyone?

I've been basically forcing formula (kitten) down her, I hear that she willingly ate it a couple of times when I was gone. (all fed with a syringe, but not trying to spit it out)

Hmmmm..... obviously on Monday she'll have to be put down if she doesn't make a come back, but I'm wondering if there are any good stories..

I don't think ours was quite as bad, but we did have a cat that when he was just a year old or so, had a problem breathing. We noticed one evening that he was just lying on the floor and breathing fast and shallow. Because of his youth, he was normally very playful, but didn't make any effort to play when we tried to get him to. We called the vet after hours; since the cat did respond to us (purred when I petted him, lifted his head, etc...) we decided to watch him for a while. A bit later (30 min?) he no longer purred when we petted him, so we called the vet back, took the cat to the office & the vet met us there. He said the cat had a benign tumor and gave him a cortisone shot (I think he kept the cat to observe, and later determined the tumor and gave the shot). Anyway, he kept the cat overnight and we got him back the next day. The tumor shrank and never gave him a problem again.

So, my kitty who I thought I was putting to sleep(last Tuesday, so a week and a half ago)... but vet said to try one more time... and then I went back a 9 days later for a cortisone shot (first time shot of antibiotics for infection)... is still having a hard time breathing, but I can't tell if it's better... or not. On Thursday she had been eating... Yesterday I started feeding her kitty formula because she didn't seem to be eating. I just added Karo syrup in case she needs it. She was actually sitting up last time we looked. We have a cold air vaporizer going for her in the restroom.

It could be that the infection or whatever caused the problem took quite a toll on the cat, and it could take a while to recover. Was any other treatment given prior to the cortisone?

I actually have been trying to treat her for a year and a half. Different antibiotics..... etc. I went to a Vet in town who did acupuncture and all sorts of things. I took her in town to someone to put her to sleep, and he did a "senior bloodwork-up" ($250.00) and said nothing is failing... Then she kinda kept going down hill, but I had made sure she was eating... just kinda waiting for the antibiotics to kick in (a shot) So, I called on Tues, but they didn't see her till Thurs. They gave her the cortisone shot, but she stopped eating yesterday... So I fed her the kitty formula... and a bit of karo. I've been doing the kitty formula since yesterday.... kinda as much as we can get down. So, I went in and her head is actually staying lifted now. She hasn't gone 24 hrs without food at anytime that I know of... (I was worried about dehydration and lack of calories/organ failure) So, seeing her sit with her head up (where before she was lethargic and laying down) makes me think that there's a slight job that I just need to keep forcing the food down. She also seemed mildly interested in the tuna, even though I watched and she didn't eat while I was there..

Both of us (cat and me!!) have gone through so much that I hate to see her die, now!! (And of course I can't help but think about that extra $300 I just threw her way...)