Menu

Now this is just fantastic

If they are recovered it is a minor miracle as most surplus aircraft were simply burned or chopped up at the end of the war. The Royal Navy pushed hundreds over the side because they were Lend-Lease and the US simply did not want them back. The US dug pits and burned aircraft, or bulldozed them into the jungle. Truly an amazing story.

Now that the thread has been derailed to a discussion of FOX just what left you scratching your head?

They just left out a bunch of details, as summaries often do. Nothing against FOX in particular.

One part that confused me was this --

The 62-year-old man -- a British farmer by trade -- realized the fate of the aircraft thanks to an offhand comment a group of American veterans made to a friend, he told the Sydney Morning Herald.
The phrase "realized the fate" made me think that he heard this comment after having searched for the planes and finally learned that they had been buried. The Herald article made the timeline clearer for me. He heard the comment fifteen years ago and has spent the intervening years searching for the buried plane.

Another point of confusion --

International sanctions prevent military material from leaving the country, but a recent visit by British Prime Minister David Cameron may enable the safe exhumation and return of the planes to England.

The Herald article explains more fully --

The final obstacle to recovering the Spitfires, however, is political: international sanctions forbid the movement of military materials in and out of Burma, and it was also feared the regime would not allow any foreign excavations. But because of the new, reforming stance of the government, the sanctions on movement of military material may be lifted on April 23. With the help of Mr Cameron and his visit to Burma, a deal is being negotiated and hopes are high that it will conclude with President Thein Sein granting permission for the dig.

The Herald article also mentions that they've used ground radar to identify the contents of the crate as Spitfires and other little details. If you liked the original article, you'll probably like the other one even better.

Actually I found one on the Telegraph that was more informative, but aviation discussion boards are abuzz with this. I can not wait to see what they actually bring up. Thank you for your link, I had not seen that one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9203822/Spitfires-buried-in-Burma-during-war-to-be-returned-to-UK.html

Then again there is also a claim that the remains of Earhart's plane may be located which would also be a great find.

Edited by pqr