Menu

Cleaning out my math manipulatives closet

Can anyone who is at the 5th and up level think of any manipulatives that would still be helpful to keep?

I'd toss anything for counting ("counting bears", etc.), but keep most of the rest for at least another year. As a PP said, anything geometric will come in handy in high school. My fifth grade students still make use of Cusinaire rods and other base ten manipulatives, especially for fraction/decimal work. It's not stuff I use daily, but when stuck they are handy to have at hand. Plus, they may have it down pat now, but come next fall some refreshing may be required - we call this "getting the rust out".

What do you have? That would help us consider each item...

Oh...what do I have. :tongue_smilie:

3 types of counters from Lakeshore Learning (I need a heart icon). Farm/toads/Lakeshore Learning dudes.

Unifix cubes

MUS rods, but only ones, tens, hundred cube

Clear 3D geometric shapes

Pattern Blocks

1" square cubes - wooden

1" square cubes - colored flat

Attribute blocks

Geo boards (never understood the use for this)

Abacus

I think that's it! :D

Nope...fraction circles and bars

magnetic money

Edited by alilac
added fractions and $

I needed base ten blocks and C-rods when I was teaching middle school math, but I mostly had the remedial students, so I don't think most kids would find them necessary. I've seen teachers do some cool things with 6th-7th graders with geoboards, but eh, not essential, I think. And I've known middle schoolers who LOVE to play with the pattern blocks still, but it's clearly more for pleasure than learning.

If you have them, you should keep 3D geometric shapes, like cones, cubes, pyramids, etc.

Agreed. Just the other day my tenth-grader dug his out when he was wrestling with a 3D geometry problem.

And to further hamper your decluttering efforts, I'll point out that if your kids ever plan to do any math tutoring when they're older, the manipulatives can come in really useful. My son told me the kids at the Boys & Girls Club went nuts over his fraction bars. :)

Oh...what do I have. :tongue_smilie:

3 types of counters from Lakeshore Learning (I need a heart icon). Farm/toads/Lakeshore Learning dudes. - toss

Unifix cubes - toss

MUS rods, but only ones, tens, hundred cube - keep*

Clear 3D geometric shapes - keep till high school*

Pattern Blocks - keep, for play - the experience with patterns/angles/tessellation will help with geometry

1" square cubes - wooden - keep, for 3-d logic puzzles

1" square cubes - colored flat - keep, 3-D logic

Attribute blocks - if you have a good challenging workbook for these, they can still challenge a 5th grader with some good logic problems, easy.

Geo boards (never understood the use for this) - love these, may be handy for geometry but not essential

Abacus - toss

I think that's it! :D

Nope...fraction circles and bars - keep a bit longer

magnetic money - on the fence

The * items would be what I'd pick if space was an absolute premium or you need the resale $ for the rest.

The * items would be what I'd pick if space was an absolute premium or you need the resale $ for the rest.

Edited by askPauline

Agreed. Just the other day my tenth-grader dug his out when he was wrestling with a 3D geometry problem.

And to further hamper your decluttering efforts, I'll point out that if your kids ever plan to do any math tutoring when they're older, the manipulatives can come in really useful. My son told me the kids at the Boys & Girls Club went nuts over his fraction bars. :)

LOL...this isn't helpful. I love my little counters. Although again, it could be because you wouldn't laugh at me if I kept them. :tongue_smilie:

This is helpful. Toss is a good word for abacus and magnetic money. I use the real thing. But toss is a strong word for my little Lakeshore Learning dudes. :svengo:

Ah...the fun is over.