Menu

Question about CAT end of year testing

My state requires standardized assessments every other year from grade 5 on...narratives before this grade and every other year after until HS, I think..are ok.

For ease, we have been using the CAT survey edition..this year, I wanted the full CAT and placed an Oder for the CAT/5 online... It was offered through several sites. It came and I was a bit take aback...it is from 1992! Is this "standard practice" for the CAT to be..so old? I do hope my district accepts the scores.. My kids will mutiny if I give the another battery...but I will, if needed..

My question is...did I get ripped off or was I a dummy and order the wrong test?

Check you homeschooling laws as to which tests meet the standardized tests requirements.

I gave the CAT to my 9th grader. The next year, I gave it to him again, for 10th grade. Turned out it was the exact.same.test. I didn't misorder or anything, it just was the same.

That's why I do the ITBS with dd. :001_smile:

Check you homeschooling laws as to which tests meet the standardized tests requirements.

I gave the CAT to my 9th grader. The next year, I gave it to him again, for 10th grade. Turned out it was the exact.same.test. I didn't misorder or anything, it just was the same.

That's why I do the ITBS with dd. :001_smile:

Ok.. that's good to know..The website for our State homeschool regulations does not list a year for the CAT test.. just that is is accepted as an end of year assessment.. So I'll just take it that it will be ok.. What is ITBS?

Ok.. that's good to know..The website for our State homeschool regulations does not list a year for the CAT test.. just that is is accepted as an end of year assessment.. So I'll just take it that it will be ok.. What is ITBS?

It's another standardized test. I like it better because it gives more feedback. I get mine from BJU. You have to qualify to be a test. I just sent them a note (I think there's an online form) with a digital picture of my college diploma and I was good to go.

The Terra Nova is replacing the Cat-5. I got mine from Brewer Testing Services, they are a great company to work with and have very quick turn around times. The only problem I had was ordering the wrong test for my current 1st grader. The K and 1st grade ones are kind of confusing to know which one to order. I emailed them and they told me what to do to send the unused wrong level back to get the correct level for him.

I have to say I was pretty shocked with what they had in the reading selections of the 1st grade test. None of my kids would have been able to read any of the selections in the time allotted let alone answer any of the questions.

Also if you're interested in the ITBS (Iowa Test of Basic Skills) Brewer has that one available too, you are required to have a Bachelors Degree to administer it, but Brewer doesn't make you pre-register for it like BJUP, they do it on an honor system.

Edited by nukeswife

Thanks all.. I have bookmarked the sites and will make sure to look into them for next year.. I did find out the Cat Survey edition is normed to 1988.. and since they have taken that test for the past 3 years and the district didn't say anything.. I will assume the Cat/5 is fine.. Too funny I never clued into the Cat Survey was from 1988.. duh