Menu

Christian Liberty Nature Readers / Science Text for an early reader

eloquacious

Would someone who has used these like to tell me a bit about them? I'm intrigued because my son (reading at about a 2nd grade level) loves to learn about animals, and we've been checking out early science books from the library. I'd love for him to have a larger book to look at, but I confess what I saw didn't look all that... exciting. I've even been thinking of just ordering a science textbook for K or 1st grade from Amazon. Those I could get for $5-$10, and I'm sure would provide ample reading with great color pictures.

Thoughts?

Ds thought the stories were interesting, but he prefers the Let's Read and Find Out series. He read only one of the CLP readers, though. I'm looking for my copy now for a review for ds and possibly for dd in first (the year after).

Oh they are wonderful! But if you are looking for color photos I would direct you to Let's Read and Find Out (we use both). The CLP readers are conversational and compared to many K and 1st science text books they are actually more meaty. Where the text will have a paragraph about the animal, etc the readers have short stories. I have readers 1-5 and the info gets meatier with each vol. I will list a general list of what is covered with each.

As mentioned above the 1st reader covers mostly insects. There are a few stories about birds, mammals, and prairie life.

2nd reader has several stories of each topic: crabs, wasps, bees, spiders, shellfish, worms.

3rd reader several stores of each topic: ants, flies, beetles, barnacles, jellyfish, sea stars, dragon flies.

4th: perching birds, birds of prey, studying birds, insects, moths, turtles and snakes, toad bat and beaver

5th is all about the body: How food is used, tools for eating, systems for life (blood etc), senses, structure of body, animal forms and functions, crown of creation

We used the Christian Liberty Nature Readers K and 1st this year- K we used together for narration work and we used the 1st grade reader as an independent reader.

I like the tone of the Christian Liberty readers- it's written in conversational short sections and he hasn't felt overwhelmed in reading them. The small amount of pictures is actually a plus for him since we use it as a reader and he would be too distracted by lots of pictures. But any of the topics he's really interested in we've looked up other books at the library or images online.

I also like the Let's Read and Find Out Series for better pictures, but that's not what we use the CLNR for.

Thank you for your replies! I like the idea of the Christian Liberty Nature Readers, so I ordered Book 1 from Amazon, but I also ordered a used 1st grade science text, which I suspect will complement it and add the pretty pictures. It turns out that our local library has the Let's Read and Find Out series, so we should be well covered for the next year or so. :)

We have used levels K-3. The books usually have several units within them like shellfish or crabs. These units are broken down into daily reading sections that are perfect for practice reading aloud. At the end of the unit are some questions to see if the student can remember what they've learned.

I think the books are well-done, with enough detail and pictures to keep the student interested. And it's nice to have a decent early elementary science option. I would definitely recommend them!

ARGH. I just realized that Book 1 is not in fact the first book. There is a Book K, and as that does an animal per letter of the alphabet, I'd prefer to start there. I am going to begin the My ABC Bible Verses Raising Rock Starts Pre-K/K soon, and do a few alphabet-y things alongside, such as the Cuisenaire Rods Alphabet Book. I think it would be fun to do the animal readings, too. I'd like to prepare a little though and it will take a while for the book to arrive.

From the CBD web site I was able to glean that the first four animals are:

A - Alligator

B - Beetle

C - Camel

D - Dolphin

Would someone who owns this book be willing to tell me the rest so I can start gathering supplemental resources like coloring pages, etc.?

ETA: Ha! I found it myself ... you know, right where it says "Table of Contents." (Duh) I had used the Google Books Preview previously.

Thank you!

Edited by eloquacious