Menu

If you've done several AP classes in high school...

What did your 4 year schedule look like? My son is going into 8th grade this fall, and I'm trying to map out a plan for high school incorporating several AP classes. It's so new to me and I'm feeling overwhelmed! I don't know what years to plan AP classes...10th grade? 11th? Can he take any sooner? Is 12th grade too late?

Here's what I have planned for next year (8th grade)--can you give me some idea of what we can shoot for over the next several years? Do I need to change some plans, maybe a different history? Add subjects? Refocus? When do science class APs fall?

Next year:

English (Writing and literature at home using WttW, WTM reading list and other things I pull together)

Math--Alg. 1 at tutorial (using Larson text)

Science--Apologia Physical Science at tutorial

Latin 1 --Cambridge Latin w/National Latin Exam at tutorial. This is a high school level class with mainly 9th -12th graders)

History--Notgrass America the Beautiful; Critical thinking in US history

Logic--Memoria Press?

Others: Bible, golf, CAP, maybe Greek...

This child is very strong in history, and is continuing to improve his writing skills. He is wanting to study German starting in 9th grade. Thanks for your help!!

DS16 is in public school, but maybe this schedule will help - he plans to do his AP classes in 11th/12th grade:

9th grade: World History, World Lit, German 1, Alg. 2, Biology

10th grade: US History, American Lit, German 2, Pre-Calc, Chemistry

11th grade: Economics, Brit Lit & Composition, German 3, AP Calc1, Physics

12th grade: AP US Gov, 12th grade Lit &Composition (can't remember what time frame this is), AP German, Calc 2 (with the BC calc exam), AP Physics or AP Chem

For other classes, he does PE and music.

I don't know what years to plan AP classes...10th grade? 11th? Can he take any sooner? Is 12th grade too late?

AP exams are administered in May only. So if you want them on the transcript for college admission, he must take them at the latest in 11th grade. AP tests taken in 12th grade may give college credit if accepted by the school, but will not affect admissions.

You can start as early as you want.

FWIW, my older two only did AP's in their junior and senior years because that's when dh and I did them. Fabulous scores. (3 junior year and 3 senior year)

We heard that kids could do them as early as they want, so kid #3 took one AP his sophomore year. He also has fabulous scores, but he was only focusing on ONE AP his sophomore year.

Kid #4 is doing two AP 's her sophomore year. She is capable. She is working hard. But I think her relative youth will hurt her AP scores -- we are not expecting 5's on both her exams.

I know that some kids can take AP's in their freshman year and land 5's every time, but I do think maturity helps students both in handling the classes and in handling the tests themselves.

I know that some kids can take AP's in their freshman year and land 5's every time, but I do think maturity helps students both in handling the classes and in handling the tests themselves.

:iagree:

My younger son took two AP courses in 9th grade in his areas of strength (math & computer science) -- we didn't plan it, necessarily; they were just the next logical step in his coursework. BUT ... the night before the first AP exam, when he had to get up very early the next morning, what did he do at dinnertime but drink SIX glasses of milk? :lol: (to finish off the milk carton so we could use it for the compost). I didn't notice in time to stop him ... I remember kicking myself, thinking he's too young for this ... He didn't fall asleep until at least midnight -- whether from nerves or the milk I'll never know. He ended up doing fine, but I remember ranting, "What were you thinking?!?!?!" Haha, poor guy.

Anyway, this year (gr. 10) he's just taking one AP (Comp Gov, which looked interesting to him), and 11th grade he'll take two more -- AP Chem & AP English Lang. I could probably push him to take more (as a PP said, it's the ones taken by junior year that colleges will see), but it's also important to me that he enjoy his high school years and have time to hang out with his friends.

My other son, by contrast, is taking his first AP this year (11th grade), in calculus. (Again, it was just the logical next step in math.) Next year as a senior he'll take AP Comp Sci and AP Enviro Sci. He did start out taking AP US History this year, but it was too much (he's a slow reader). So he'll only have 1 AP exam by the end of junior year, in contrast to his younger brother, who will have 5. That seems about right for each kid.

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts! It helps a lot to see what others are doing/have done!

Laura, I was cracking up at your son drinking 6 glasses of milk the night before! I can absolutely see my son doing that!! :lol: Glad it didn't hurt his score!!

I'm in 9th grade (unless I decide to graduate early), and currently taking APUSH and AP Lit (a little unusual - it's usually taken in 12th grade, but I felt I was up for the challenge) through PA Homeschoolers. The classes are going extremely well for me.

Last year I actually self-studied for AP Gov and received a 5 - again, strange, because people don't usually do APs in 8th grade, but I was on track to graduate early and I wanted to try it out just for a test run.

Next year I plan to take AP Euro and AP Lang through PA Homeschoolers, likely AP Latin, and possibly self-study for one of the AP Calc tests.

I love my AP classes - not only are they challenging and fulfilling academically, but I love meeting and Skyping with like-minded, smart students from around the country.

Debra Bell (AIM) offer pre-AP and AP classes. As a matter of fact, it seems that all of the classes offered are AP prep classes.

Next year will be our first year taking classes through AIM, so I'm not familiar with the quality. Maybe someone else will comment on that.

Debra Bell (AIM) offer pre-AP and AP classes. As a matter of fact, it seems that all of the classes offered are AP prep classes.

Next year will be our first year taking classes through AIM, so I'm not familiar with the quality. Maybe someone else will comment on that.

My middle son is taking the middle school class with Joanna Breault this semester. I have been extremely pleased with the detailed weekly feedback.

Both of my boys will be taking one of Debra Bell's classes next year.

My daughter took four AP classes during her high school years.

10th grade: AP US History

11th grade: AP Latin and AP Comparative Government and Politics

(The above were all taken at a local resource center for homeschoolers.)

12th grade: AP Statistics (through PA Homeschoolers)

Regards,

Kareni