Menu

Frivolous - decorating binders

MouseBandit

Okay, totally frivolous post! How do you decorate your 3-ring binders?

I've got plenty of presentation binders with the sleeve on front and on the spine.

I've been just using construction paper or colored paper with text written or printed on it, but after looking at some pictures on here and online, I think I could make them way cuter without a huge amount of effort or time.

I was thinking maybe using scrapbook paper for the covers (I have NEVER scrapbooked, so all I know is that they have paper with pretty designs and patterns on it, ha ha!).

I also know that I have a very hard time getting anything shoved all the way down that spine pocket without having it crumple up on me, and of course, I really, really want to have those spines labeled, even if they weren't pretty!

So, anyone do anything like this? Any suggestions for purchasing scrapbook paper? I very briefly checked out a website, and quickly got overwhelmed at the choices and not being able to see each page individually (they were selling them in packets for like $15 each).

Any other thoughts or suggestions! I'm happily in the planning phase of things right now and enjoying myself endulging all my geeky paper/office supply-dreams, ha ha!

THANKS!

Tracey in Oregon

We use a lot of white binders like you are talking about--they are so fun to decorate!

Do you have a Michael's around you? They sell scrapbook paper by the sheet.

Or you can print some pics from Google or yahoo and make a cool collage. Print it out on cardstock and it won't crumple.

We did a bunch of images of places from our history time period and then put them on a sheet and inserted it.

There's also really nice notebook covers you can print--I think they are at barefootmeanderings, and one other place (can't remember). oh, here, too, is an example of what you can do.

We use scrapbook paper all the way around the binders, although it goes in easier in the bigger binders. I use a label maker with colored tape for the smaller binders. Cardstock and stickers would work great too! I let the kids pick since it really is their book anyway.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will check the websites and Michael's. yeah, maybe on the smaller binders it just isn't worth it to struggle with shoving that small strip of paper all the way down, ha ha! I do have a label maker. SHould have thought of using that, ha ha! Also had the thought that if I had a ruler I could fit down that spine pocket, it might help get the cardstock down in there without scrunching up.

Thanks again!!

Tracey in Oregon

Most of mine have "pretty piece of scrapbook paper" tossed in with a label slapped onto it :D the ultimate in, its now pretty, time for a break :tongue_smilie: I opened the binder "nearly" straight, not fully, and slowly, agonizingly slipped the paper in, sometimes you have to guide it "slowly" by putting your finger between the paper and the binder, and pushing/guiding it in, i have also been known to use rulers & paddlepop sticks in a similar fashion :lol:

My latest folders, i just got nicely coloured ones, plastered some pretty 3d scrapbooking stickers/items on it, plastered all around it with tears glue (I've forgotten what its actually called, i use to use it to make 3d tears on my re-born dolls) and called it a day :p

I have to do something about the 3d felt Strawberry on one of the folders though, it keeps coming off (I didn't use the glue near it, cause it would of made it all gross) maybe i'll put a splodge of my e6000 or whatever its called there, then the only way it'll come off is in little felt pieces :tongue_smilie:

I wish i had the time or the eye to create those pretty scrapbooking binders. It would take too much brain-age for me to figure out an approepriate colour palette/scheme and then find actual stickers/fabrics/ribbons and paper to suit that theme. TME Too much effort. ;) I'd rather spend the saved time doing some felt dolls for my nature corner.

I use a ruler to help the paper get down the spine easier. But I put the ruler down in first, it helps the plastic to stretch just a tiny bit and I think it does something to the static electricity factor which also makes it easier to get the paper down.

For really skinny binder spines I've used a knitting needle.

I also know that I have a very hard time getting anything shoved all the way down that spine pocket without having it crumple up on me, and of course, I really, really want to have those spines labeled, even if they weren't pretty!

I bought clear contact paper to take care of this problem. I make a label for my spine in power point, and cut it so that it overlaps the edges by about 1/2", enough to go past the fold. Then I cut the contact paper about an inch wider on each side. The labels that I made for my 2" TOG binders are still going strong, and still look pretty, 10 years later :)

They remind me of the pictures on ABQmoms' blog, except there are no white borders.