Menu

Beast Academy--can it be done independently?

nikkid

I'm afraid I don't know much about Beast Academy yet, and I've looked through their site and samples, but want just a couple quick answers from those who are using it...

...can it be done independently by a strong reader nearing the end of 3rd grade who is ahead in all subjects except math? (We're using MUS Gamma right now.)

It sounds like something she would like, but I don't think I can add on another curriculum that is heavy on parental involvement. She needs to start doing more things independently. (She is fairly mature for her age and likes to teach herself since she is very strong-willed.)

...if it's a supplement, as in we'd do it for the summer, you'd want both the text and the practice books, right?

Thank you all!

Nikki

We haven't started yet, but my impression is that it could be done fairly independently, except that the math can be quite challenging, and so a typical student may need encouragement and/or assistance if they become frustrated. I think this really depends on the child, though.

As to your second question, yes, you would want both the text and the practice books. I don't think the concepts would stick if you just read the text and didn't get the application of using the practice books.

Heather

I think it could be done independently, but I think she (and you!) may get much more out of it if you work on it together. The comic itself is a fairly easy read (aside from new math terms they come across) but there is a good bit of discussion that can go along with it.

The practice book is very challenging. DS does it on his own, but I am constantly available for direction and assistance since some of it is a bit hard!

I think it would be a pretty unusual kid who could do it completely independently. We did SM textbook together and had my 8 yr old do the workbook on her own, but BA seems less indepent because the activities and exercises are more varied and are asking for more depth of thought than SM was.

DD likes to read (and reread) the guidebooks on her own. She will occasionally bring one to me to show me something funny, or to tell me about some idea she had when reading them. She likes to chat about it.

The practice books are clear, but definitely more complex and require more math "thinking" than she's seen in other workbooks. There is a hint section, and a very thorough solution section, at the back of the practice book.

An independent child could work through it alone, but I think the opportunity to discuss the concepts and problems at least once a week will make it more meaningful. I would be sure to point out to her that some of the problems may require her to come back to them later, after she's had time to mull them over.

We read the workbook together, because I enjoy the stories. He really wants to do BA independently, but the problems can be challenging. He does the easy ones on his own and we do the challenging ones together. If I arrive at the solution first, I let him work for a bit and then offer guidance (What if you tilted the paper? What about X?) I try to make the questions leading, but not a flashing neon light saying, "Here's the solution!!!!"

My ds loves Beast Academy. The first time he solved a star problem on his own, he got up and danced around the table. In my view, any curriculum that can inspire such joy in a child is awesome. We did nothing in math but BA for 3 weeks and he's very disappointed I'm now requiring work in his core curriculum. I reached my limit: 1.5-2 hours of math every day was getting exhausting. He was neglecting his other subjects in favor of BA.

My son that is ahead in math needs me there for discussion, and the practice book is quite challenging. We now consider Singapore 4B our â€easy mathâ€.

I know, I was just telling DD that I can just give her the SM workbook now without any involvement. Sometimes a momma needs a break.

OP, DD is ahead in math and was doing 4th grade math before beginning Beast. She's able to do most of the problems on her own, except for some of the more challenging ones. But since I enjoy math, I wanted to be involved, even if it was just sitting there watching her solve on her own. I think you'll find that most parents using Beast are discussing the workbook problems with their children.

There are hints in the back of the book for the challenging problems if you wanted to read them aloud to your child but not be completely involved.

DD7 does SM wb on her own, SM IP/CWP 90% on her own (i.e., I must be in the room as a sounding board but she can answer almost all of the questions if she just talks her way through them), but BA is me leading the way. Now, this is undoubtedly impacted by her age/level (i.e., she's in SM 2B and BA 3A is stretching her), but even if I had waited a year I think I would need to be involved still.

(Heck, I know my DH isn't mathematically inclined by a long shot, but even he couldn't complete the tetromino puzzles!)

I think it would be a pretty unusual kid who could do it completely independently. We did SM textbook together and had my 8 yr old do the workbook on her own, but BA seems less indepent because the activities and exercises are more varied and are asking for more depth of thought than SM was.

:iagree: My son and I discuss many of the questions together because they can be quite challenging. I imagine most kids could not do this program independently.